Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
I am going crazy with a diy weekend install of the Kaps / Linney awd controller and was wondering if someone who is up on the software could diagnose my problem.

Here is the deal. I bought the Kaps awd controller unit with a cable from John Shepherd this week as I have been working with him on some transmission related matters. Just installed it myself. Controller appears to be working in that I can change maps using my transmission setting buttons on my center console and torque split mfd screen. However I can't seem to get the desktop software to read my awd unit. When I plug the usb cable into my laptop I hear a chime from my computer that it detects a device but I can't seem to get the software to detect the unit. All the desktop software buttons for reading and writing to the ecu are not lit up. Shep said he installed the most recent firmware before he mailed it and I downloaded the most recent version of the desktop software from the Kaps website. However I see some David Buschur posts about problems with the most recent firmware.

I don't want to put my passenger seat back until i am sure there is nothing wrong with my awd unit or cable as it was a bitch for me to remove. Was going to follow up with Shep tomorrow but thought this was something software related somewhere here might know of the top of their head.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. Thanks. Yeah Shep got back to me and I got be problem fixed. From what I can tell you have to open the software with the usb plugged in to get the port to show up as an option in the software.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
You also have to make sure the USB to serial adapter installs onto a free com port compatible with the software, then tell the software which port it's on.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You also have to make sure the USB to serial adapter installs onto a free com port compatible with the software, then tell the software which port it's on.

Thanks Doug. Yeah I noticed one of the usb ports on my laptop is not recognized by the software at all.

The hardest part of this process for me was really disconnecting the seat heater harness clip, which was like a one hour process for me until I found an old thread on here form 2010 that explained how to do it. I also had one of the rear seat bolts threads ruined from removal as it looks like Nissan factory Loctites the bolts in. I needed to thread chase and pick up a new bolt to reinstall the seat. In retrospect I should have just paid someone to install this for me but my impatience won the day after receiving the package Friday afternoon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts