Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've been noticing over the past couple of months that there is sometimes a slight hesitation when I manually shift gears. Mostly it occurs in the lower gears, probably going from second to third, and under light acceleration. But it has also occurred once at a higher gear, I believe fourth. I am aware of the GT-R's idiosyncrasies, particularly how it lugs along at parking lot speeds. And I'm on the second GT-R, so I think I know a thing or two about the vehicle. But the hesitation has become noticeable albeit slightly, and it doesn't occur constantly. I also just had my 24-month POS, and nothing was noted regarding this.

·
Founder/Admin
26,231 Posts
yeah I know what you are talking about and It can happen from time to time especially just around town driving. if you start driving in a more aggressive way in R mode to where the rev matching kicks in it will go away both up and downshift

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I know what you are talking about and It can happen from time to time especially just around town driving. if you start driving in a more aggressive way in R mode to where the rev matching kicks in it will go away both up and downshift
I'll try that out, as I admit I don't often change the transmission or VDC settings. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it out today and ran it in R-N-R mode. Didn't notice any hesitation, but later decided to launch it. The first time I did, I left it in manual shifting. I over-revved and red-lined her so I backed off. About five minutes later I launched again, same settings but left the transmission in auto. It actually hesitated going from second to third, and once it got into fourth was a dog so I let off. I'll have to try again soon, but I'm thinking I need to take her into the dealer, and see what they missed from the 24-month POS.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
At slow speeds, to me, it doesn't shift quite like other DCT's do. I had a 335is and an M3, both with DCT, and when you told it to shift, there was no lag or "thinking". Just a lightning fast "blip". I personally don't think anything sounds wrong with your car, but during the POS, I'd be willing to bet they didn't even look at your clutch settings, much less adjust them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mine does it once every couple days. Always during normal driving (not spirited) and also typically in the first 3 gears. My M3 DCT was much smoother and it felt quicker. I wondered if my car had a problem after reading about how the GT-R transmission is faster than the BMW DCT and the Porsche PDK. But a search online revealed I was far from alone.

Basically it feels like sometimes the software is thinking about the shift. A couple days ago I started off at a light in the left turn lane. When I shifted mid turn to 2nd it actually bogged very noticeably to the point that the car slowed down in the intersection before 2nd kicked in and it jumped. I had the arrow so it wasn't a big deal but if I was threading the needle in heavy traffic you'd be reading about a totaled GT-R that got t-boned. As a result I don't shift when a failure to act could put me at risk.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
A couple days ago I started off at a light in the left turn lane. When I shifted mid turn to 2nd it actually bogged very noticeably to the point that the car slowed down in the intersection before 2nd kicked in and it jumped.
I had the exact same thing happen to me on a few occasions - I short-shifted 1-2 mid-turn in anticipation of gunning it once the steering is closer to straight-ahead, and the car just stumbled for what felt like an eternity with oncoming traffic closing in, and then lunged forward after making the upshift.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After reading the last three responses, I noticed the two were from people owning 2014's, and the other a 2015. I wonder if there is something problematic about the transmission/DCT with these later models? In any case, I'm taking mine into a Nissan dealer and ask them to find out what is wrong. If my car won't shift right away and hesitates, this could cause an accident, as others have pointed out. What really surprised me, though, was when I tried to launch the car the other day in Auto mode, and it STILL hesitated in the lower gears. I'm willing to bet it doesn't do it every time, but that is still the sign of a problem.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
After reading the last three responses, I noticed the two were from people owning 2014's, and the other a 2015. I wonder if there is something problematic about the transmission/DCT with these later models? In any case, I'm taking mine into a Nissan dealer and ask them to find out what is wrong. If my car won't shift right away and hesitates, this could cause an accident, as others have pointed out. What really surprised me, though, was when I tried to launch the car the other day in Auto mode, and it STILL hesitated in the lower gears. I'm willing to bet it doesn't do it every time, but that is still the sign of a problem.
Do you think it could be something as simple as adjusting the clutches (via POS)?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Now that I'm paying more attention to it, I noticed it again today. Car was warm, leaving a light and occurred on the 1-2 shift, which I did between 2500 - 3000 rpm. It was fine before and after through multiple shifts.

It doesn't feel like a slipping clutch though, it's more like it's bogging down. I also did some spirited driving on the highway, on ramps, interchanges etc and it shifted flawlessly above 4k.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
Check your clutch capacity and touch point settings.

The tp should correct the slow speed issues.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mine does it once every couple days. Always during normal driving (not spirited) and also typically in the first 3 gears. My M3 DCT was much smoother and it felt quicker. I wondered if my car had a problem after reading about how the GT-R transmission is faster than the BMW DCT and the Porsche PDK. But a search online revealed I was far from alone.

Basically it feels like sometimes the software is thinking about the shift. A couple days ago I started off at a light in the left turn lane. When I shifted mid turn to 2nd it actually bogged very noticeably to the point that the car slowed down in the intersection before 2nd kicked in and it jumped. I had the arrow so it wasn't a big deal but if I was threading the needle in heavy traffic you'd be reading about a totaled GT-R that got t-boned. As a result I don't shift when a failure to act could put me at risk.
Lol you aren't in r mode right?
If you don't know how to use a gtr just sell it quickly before anyone actually starts believing a shitty m3 shifts quicker than a R35 lmfao

·
Registered
338 Posts
Don't be a condescending asshole.

I've tracked and raced cars for years. And my M3 shift from paddle to action was always fast and crisp. The GTR is inconsistent. At least mine is at rpms below 4k

Regarding the issue, it's occurred in R mode and regular mode.

·
Registered
338 Posts
And calling an M3 shitty also makes you look pretty pretentious. I like the GTR more but there are plenty of areas where it pails in comparison to a car that's 30k cheaper.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Don't be a condescending asshole.

I've tracked and raced cars for years. And my M3 shift from paddle to action was always fast and crisp. The GTR is inconsistent. At least mine is at rpms below 4k

Regarding the issue, it's occurred in R mode and regular mode.
You may have a serious lemon there doc.

The e92 is a shitty platform live with it. Slow and shit.

Drive a new m4 and you know why.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Come on, guys, no need for name calling and vulgarity. We're all enthusiasts who love the GT-R, and we report odd things with the vehicle's performance to find out if others are experiencing the same thing. We learn from a lot of this, I know I do. I plan to take my GT-R to a Nissan dealer and have them diagnose the issue I've noted. Hopefully they will identify whatever is causing the issue, fix it, and I can report back to everyone what I learned.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
And calling an M3 shitty also makes you look pretty pretentious. I like the GTR more but there are plenty of areas where it pails in comparison to a car that's 30k cheaper.
That makes at least 2 of us on here that bought both cars (M3 and GTR) brand new, and have noticed the exact same thing. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You can't be serious. The M-DCT shifts quicker, I've had both cars. Nissan set their DCT up differently, that's all. No need to be defensive about it. If you have a problem with it, take it up with Nissan.

That makes at least 2 of us on here that bought both cars (M3 and GTR) brand new, and have noticed the exact same thing. Don't sweat it.
Whaat? The tranny in the e92 shofts quicker than a gr6 ?
Lol what's wrong with you ..

Or do you mean it shifts quicker when driving around in traffic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts