Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got into an accident last night .. drunk driver drove into incoming traffic .. and since i was the only one waiting at the red light .. he drove straight into me ... i ate a facefull of airbag, my thumbs are swollen (horray for my other 4 fingers!) and my chest is bruised .. but the car .. :/ anyway ... the cops arrested him on the spot ... but doesnt really fix my car ... *sigh* ... plus 5 different people "stopped" by to take a picture of the license plate (im assuming for 4D??) .. but even as i was squating on the ground .. only 1 cab driver actually stopped to help ..

·
R36 Member
796 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear... Just think on the bright side, glad he wasn't driving a more beefy vehicle. Any news on what insurance is going to do?

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
Uggg sorry dude, that really sucks. At least his ass got arrested....

·
I'm everywhere.
857 Posts
wow that's horrible... glad you're okay and the guy got arrested though. definitely could have been a lot worse had he been driving an SUV or larger car. hope insurance works everything out for you!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
WOW so sorry mate, good luck with the battle for insurance, also glad to hear your okay!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
man that sucks

could have been alot of worse though

why not use the repair opportunity to get a front lip or bumper happening, soften the blow

·
Registered
97 Posts
Keep us posted on how it turns out with the insurance co.

Its very likely that you are going to have to claim on your own insurance and lose your no claim bonus as a result.

If the other party has been arrested for drink driving (police would have breathalyzed him on the spot and taken him into hospital for a blood alcohol test to confirm reading) his insurer will disclaim all liability for third party claims. His insurer cannot however walk away from injury claims. You should have called an ambulance and gone into hospital with them. If you did not then go into hospital asap, within 48 hours, get a medical and iirc medical leave of at least 3-4 days. Then file a claim against his insurer for injury.

For damage to your car i can almost guarantee that his insurer will walk on any claim you make against them. Drink driving voids your policy. In Spore, under such circumstances, insurance cos are allowed legally to walk on 3rd party property claims but not on injury claims. You will have to claim against your own policy and then sue him for the cost of repairs (and then reimburse your insurer to reinstate your no claim bonus). After your claim your premiums upon renewal are going to skyrocket.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Keep us posted on how it turns out with the insurance co.

Its very likely that you are going to have to claim on your own insurance and lose your no claim bonus as a result.

If the other party has been arrested for drink driving (police would have breathalyzed him on the spot and taken him into hospital for a blood alcohol test to confirm reading) his insurer will disclaim all liability for third party claims. His insurer cannot however walk away from injury claims. You should have called an ambulance and gone into hospital with them. If you did not then go into hospital asap, within 48 hours, get a medical and iirc medical leave of at least 3-4 days. Then file a claim against his insurer for injury.

For damage to your car i can almost guarantee that his insurer will walk on any claim you make against them. Drink driving voids your policy. In Spore, under such circumstances, insurance cos are allowed legally to walk on 3rd party property claims but not on injury claims. You will have to claim against your own policy and then sue him for the cost of repairs (and then reimburse your insurer to reinstate your no claim bonus). After your claim your premiums upon renewal are going to skyrocket.
wow..is that true? thats gonna suck...

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's horrible! Glad you're going to be alright! I would think it's a pretty open/shut case for the insurance company to work out though which is good!

·
Registered
95 Posts
wow..is that true? thats gonna suck...
Yes bro.. that is true.. it sucks Big Time.. alternatively, it's time to engage lawyer..

However, if the a55hole is smart.. he can declare bankrupt and don't need to pay $$$; just jail time... that would suck big time..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup, blackmagic and bobo are right ... after arguing with my insurance company, it seems likely that even though the other guy has admitted liability in writing ... that I must claim against myself and watch my premium skyrocket ... and as bobo said, even if i engage a lawyer, the driver was a kid ... i could sue the owner of the vehicle, but considering it was a family toyota, i dont expect to get much ... *sigh*. FML.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yup, blackmagic and bobo are right ... after arguing with my insurance company, it seems likely that even though the other guy has admitted liability in writing ... that I must claim against myself and watch my premium skyrocket ... and as bobo said, even if i engage a lawyer, the driver was a kid ... i could sue the owner of the vehicle, but considering it was a family toyota, i dont expect to get much ... *sigh*. FML.
Bro, you still need to have a chat with them.. to solve things out.
Why should you go claim against yourself?
Its best to let the insurance do it for some insurance would actually engage lawyers to act on your behalf.
Whatever the damage may be, at least some $ from the drunken driver would do alittle justice..

Its always good to sit down and talk first.. that's my thinking..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey nic - yes i was at the meetup, you are 100% correct.

as for the insurer, they have basically told me my best bet is to claim against myself, as opposed to claiming from the other guy (dont ask me why - they seem to be resigned to the fact that i will definitely have to claim against myself). anyway, i filed a 3rd party claim as luckily the guys from tan chong stepped in and helped me file the paperwork today ... so i'm going to keep my fingers crossed. otherwise, my only other solution is to litigate and to write in to the newspaper to ask why people who actually follow the law are being penalized ... someone told me that the guy's insurer should pay out and then they must sue him for his breach of contract between themselves ... lets see how it goes ... but either way .. no godzilla for 2 months + :(

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.