Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CAR NUT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I had an issue last night. I am not sure where to start to trouble shoot but, it was cold...about 30 degrees. I went to a friend's house to visit for a few hours and then decided to take the car out for a spin.

We drove it to the highway which is only about 5 miles from his house. We were probably in the car for less than 5 minutes. I did a 3rd gear pull through 4th and top of 5th...everything was great.

We turned around and were going to do another pull. I started from a very slow roll on 1st, shifted to 2nd and on 2nd gear, right about 5,000 rpms, it felt like I hit a brick wall. No lights, nothing...weird.

I tried it again this time from 2nd gear again, and same thing...got to 5,000 rpms and it cut off abruptly, like hitting a rev-limiter or a wall. I tried 3rd gear and it also cut off right about 4,500 rpms.

I have never had this issue in over a year of owning the car, so I thought that maybe things were not to temperature yet. However, remember during the 1st pull, everything was fine and it pulled hard.

Any feedback or pointers on how to trouble shoot, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

This is a 4.2L Alpha 9+ with a 2.5 sheps, fyi.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hi guys,

I had an issue last night. I am not sure where to start to trouble shoot but, it was cold...about 30 degrees. I went to a friend's house to visit for a few hours and then decided to take the car out for a spin.

We drove it to the highway which is only about 5 miles from his house. We were probably in the car for less than 5 minutes. I did a 3rd gear pull through 4th and top of 5th...everything was great.

We turned around and were going to do another pull. I started from a very slow roll on 1st, shifted to 2nd and on 2nd gear, right about 5,000 rpms, it felt like I hit a brick wall. No lights, nothing...weird.

I tried it again this time from 2nd gear again, and same thing...got to 5,000 rpms and it cut off abruptly, like hitting a rev-limiter or a wall. I tried 3rd gear and it also cut off right about 4,500 rpms.

I have never had this issue in over a year of owning the car, so I thought that maybe things were not to temperature yet. However, remember during the 1st pull, everything was fine and it pulled hard.

Any feedback or pointers on how to trouble shoot, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

This is a 4.2L Alpha 9+ with a 2.5 sheps, fyi.
Did you check for any codes. ....run some logs

·
GTRLIFE BOTM August 2015
1,042 Posts
Sounds like it's hitting safety. I'm on my mobile so I can't see if you are on Cobb or not. That's what safety feels like when one of the parameters hits and it kicks in.

·
CAR NUT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like it's hitting safety. I'm on my mobile so I can't see if you are on Cobb or not. That's what safety feels like when one of the parameters hits and it kicks in.
I am on ECUTEK.

I thought that could be it, but, I am confused as to why the first pull was fine...maybe it was still adjusting?

·
CAR NUT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you check for any codes. ....run some logs
There were not any codes but, I haven't ran any logs. I was going to drive it today, get it warmed up and try again.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
odd but repeatable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
same thing happened to me after phase 5 installed, i/ve send datalog to Benn and it was because of the injectors duty going 110% need bigger ones

make a datalog

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Ive had my car shut down like that in a higher gear from timing being pulled. Ive also had it do it from clutches. It could also be from overboost protection. You need to try to log it.

Joe

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
As others have said most likely boost cut t

·
Registered
215 Posts
My car did that when I was tuned on maf. When it got cold my car would boost spike and its cut boost. Then I'd get back on it and it's pull just fine.
Went speed density and data logged in cooler weather...never done it since

·
CAR NUT
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks from everyone's feedback.
Car is running like a raped chimp again - so most likely, as a lot of you had pointed out, it was due to safety boost cut from being too cold and the car loving the cool weather.

I am going to still run a datalog as I haven't ran one for EVER...and see how things are panning out.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks from everyone's feedback.
Car is running like a raped chimp again - so most likely, as a lot of you had pointed out, it was due to safety boost cut from being too cold and the car loving the cool weather.

I am going to still run a datalog as I haven't ran one for EVER...and see how things are panning out.

Thank you again!
Glad to hear it went away. You can get with your tuner to figure it out and make sure it doesn't happen again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts