Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, it is almost the anniversary of my GTR 2012 delivery. Many people actually argued about how much Nissan is consumer oriented, and I am now able to put on record this story:

I bought a 2010 GTR, and I drove it for 17 000 miles, during this 1st year, my gearbox failled 2 times and went to leap mode, fortunatly, close to the dealer (Santa Clara Steven Creek Nissan, good guys!)
the 1st time, they needed 20 days to figure out what to do (Nissan Japan involved), and they decided after 20 days to reset the gear box and give it back to me ... 3 months later, it returned to leap mode, and they kept it 10 more days, after 10 more days of Headquater not deciding what to do, I got a little annoyed, so, I called my lawyer. He basically let me know of my rights, and that is in california, 30 days in the garage during the waranty periode make it a lemon.

So, I went to the dealer, and ask for an exchange. The Steven creek Nissan guys were very supportive and actually agreed that we got to speak with head quater. after 2 or 3 phone calls with Nissan headquater, and a little arguement, they very quicly decided to propose me an exchange from 2010 to 2012, asking me to pay de difference of MSRP, and the devaluation of the 2010 due to milage (California calculation). I accepted the exchange, and the 1st Nissan GTR 2012 delivered in california became mine. I did not need to bring them the lawyer at all ...

I can't express how nice all the nissan people were in the process, they actually all were on my side, even at the head quater (Mr Delon), and he , especially just followed the law to the letter, without trying to pull the cover on his side.

I think it was important to share this experience with you guys, I am now the happy owner of a 2012 GTR, love it , love it ,love it!

Francois

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
Francois, that is definitely a story with a positive ending. Personally, I can see either paying the difference in MSRP or devaluation as fair, but I'm not too sure about having to pay both. It's like going to McDonald's and ordering a quarter pounder. You eat 1/4 of it and realize it's raw. You bring it back to them and they agree to an exchange. You can pay the difference and get a Big Mac instead, but the manager says you still have to pay for 1/4 of the quarter pounder b/c you only brought back 3/4 of it. OK, not the best analogy, but you see my point. Not trying to put a downer on your experience, and at the end of the day so long as you're happy with the outcome, it's a success story. You don't hear about this kind of solution to a problem happening often and it is a very positive customer satisfaction move on Nissan's part. A 2010 to 2012 is a good upgrade for sure. Glad you're enjoying your new car!

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
In my opinion the only way this exchange could have been favorable for the consumer is if the exchange was done on a basis that the value given to the 2010 was a retail value (not trade value or Black Book value) since retail value was paid for the new car.

I had a similar experience with Chevrolet and it was decided that we would trade retail/retail. I was also given a negotiated amount of money for my troubles and they paid my attorney fees. It never went to court.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I feel that was more than fair of them to offer you a 2012 and paying the difference since most people here would upgrade to an 2012 anyways. The downside is that the MSRP has risen and the lemon law getting close to expirey.

The lemon law option may have been the best option if you were getting a different car but with if you were set on a GTR anyways your route may have been easiest.

One more thing. When you jumped from a 2010 to 2012 did you notice a big difference in power, tranny shifts, and ride quality?

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. What you got was exactly what any of us could do - sell out older GT-R and buy a new one at MSRP which has happened. How did this benefit you? You are now out more money vs when you started. That dealer came out way ahead and got to re-sell a car that was not declared a lemon and Nissn came ahead too since they got to sell yet another car. IMO you got the short end of the stick.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. What you got was exactly what any of us could do - sell out older GT-R and buy a new one at MSRP which has happened. How did this benefit you? You are now out more money vs when you started. That dealer came out way ahead and got to re-sell a car that was not declared a lemon and Nissn came ahead too since they got to sell yet another car. IMO you got the short end of the stick.
That's a good point.. From what he was saying it sounds like they took the difference in MSRP and subtracted cost per mile as if it was a new 2012? Maybe he has recieved an inflated trade in price or more than full retail on his 2010? I guess we'll wait and hear.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think he did fine. As long as he is happy. He got a 2012 with no issues, no miles, and all the updates. And got rid of a 2010 with 17k miles and a failing gearbox. Sure he did outlay more money, but he wasn't forced to. OP should be able to sleep at night with a smile

R

·
R33 Member
958 Posts
I'm glad you got your '12...IMHO, so long as you're happy/satisfied with the outcome regardless of the 'process' shlould be all that counts. Wishing you trouble-free ride. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I didn't think when responding too much and didn't mean to upset the OP. Still, yes happiness is what matters and what he doesn't know won't hurt him I suppose, but since he let us know about it know he does know... Was the credit you got for your old 2010 less, equal or more than the going rate for a used 2010 with those miles? If it is anything but more then that sucks because they screwed you and even worse made you feel good about it.. My transmission failed too 2-1/2 years after purchase and I got a new one... I hope you got a sweet credit on the 2010 though, perhaps $68K or more...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the exchange followed the California Lemon Law to the letter. on a car so expensive, the statistics show that it is very rare, difference of MSRP is only 5800$, and the rest around 3K$ ... to get a new GTR will all the new goodies, i really think that it was the best deal I could get ...

Francois

·
Another GT-R
253 Posts
the exchange followed the California Lemon Law to the letter. on a car so expensive, the statistics show that it is very rare, difference of MSRP is only 5800$, and the rest around 3K$ ... to get a new GTR will all the new goodies, i really think that it was the best deal I could get ...

Francois
Why didn't you just ask for a free tranny replacement under warranty? I assume you didn't ask for that because you wanted to upgrade anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.