Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah yeah yeah, I know it's designed for launch control and it's a fully warranted function...

But exactly how hard is it on the vehicle?

What safeguards does the GTR employ to mitigate stress from 'launch control'?

·
Founder/Admin
26,228 Posts
on a stock GTR I would argue its not very hard on it. it is harder on the car than just stomping the gas as it is slipping the clutch? sure a little but its a pretty smooth process especially starting with the 2013 version that slightly tweaked the 12( clutch dropped a bit more abruptly). with the "R mode start" as Nissan calls it there is a pause while the car sets before it moves forward then it gives a little chirp of the tires and once its in motion its over, so you are talking about just that initial moment where there is some extra friction being generated. so you arnt getting as harsh of an engage as you would think. the 2012+ car is the only GTR with "real" launch control and there are a bunch of safe guards. if it detects too much wheel spin it cuts the power, if you hold the LC too long and the clutches heat up it intervenes on that too. it will only let you do 4 in a row before a cool down. It needs to be above a certain trans temp and below a certain coolant temp ect.... the issue on the original 2009 was VDC was off so you could get wheel hop which produces a sudden amount of force going back through the drivetrain and things would snap. that just doesnt happen on the newer car. also the 4500RPM was maybe a bit high when there wasnt anything to limit the power if it didnt hook.

but going back to the initial act, I guess its violent but its more controlled than the driver thinks and honestly 4K rpm with that momentary pause isnt that rough on the clutches. its impossible right now stock vs stock to know down the road a tangible difference of life with mild to moderate LC use vs without knowing a bit about the process you arnt killing your car slowly every time you do it and there are worse things you can do to the car just daily driving. people really need to free themselves from that stigma.

what im saying is a bit of a mute point since I say this speaking for a stock powered car that uses the VDC to oversee the entire process. 90%(random # I made up but close) of people on here use aftermarket clones of the program that require VDC off and are on higher power.

A DBA ( 2012+) even with high power and no VDC really doesnt fail due to LC. you will see axles and other components fail first on the big power cars. so the mechanical parts are strong but at the end of the day Nissan intends the car to launch at 550-600hp with VDC on anything past that you are on your on even though it is proven real world. so when you are reading a thread that says im FBO with LC5 9.9 times out of 10 they are gonna be fine but that technically isnt the same as what are are asking as new owner with a stock car in the first place. on a stock DBA I have NEVER EVER heard of ANY issue related to the use of LC since the car came out in 2011

the fact is the 2008 fiasco really screwed up the psyche of GTR owners and half of them are almost afraid of the feature. It wont ever go away as that initial drama where every website ran articles of how the car was broken and then a big class action law suit left a permanent impression for some. 10 years from now you will be pumping gas and someone will come up to you and talk about the car and slide in a remark about you better not launch it ect. sure there were some issues and shortcomings back then but they honest to god fixed it on the DBA. if you own a 2012+ its truly not an issue if you have common sense as fail safes are in place.

what I mean by that is sure if you act like you are 16 and launch it at every stoplight every day of your life there will be some clutch wear. but going to the drag strip a few times a month or showing your buddies you can really expect no issues as its is a warranted feature and again with VDC and and they way the TCM/ECU works its very controlled and if is just waiting to babysit you and cut power and the faintest thing out of the ordinary. that is why the aftermarket ones require VDC off as the system really isnt compatible with higher powered cars. on the new cars there isnt even a counter of how many times its been used so that should tell you something..... its just part of the car ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
on a stock GTR I would argue its not very hard on it. it is harder on the car than just stomping the gas as it is slipping the clutch? sure a little but its a pretty smooth process especially starting with the 2013 version that slightly tweaked the 12( clutch dropped a bit more abruptly). with the "R mode start" as Nissan calls it there is a pause while the car sets before it moves forward then it gives a little chirp of the tires and once its in motion its over, so you are talking about just that initial moment where there is some extra friction being generated. so you arnt getting as harsh of an engage as you would think. the 2012+ car is the only GTR with "real" launch control and there are a bunch of safe guards. if it detects too much wheel spin it cuts the power, if you hold the LC too long and the clutches heat up it intervenes on that too. it will only let you do 4 in a row before a cool down. It needs to be above a certain trans temp and below a certain coolant temp ect.... the issue on the original 2009 was VDC was off so you could get wheel hop which produces a sudden amount of force going back through the drivetrain and things would snap. that just doesnt happen on the newer car. also the 4500RPM was maybe a bit high when there wasnt anything to limit the power if it didnt hook.

but going back to the initial act, I guess its violent but its more controlled than the driver thinks and honestly 4K rpm with that momentary pause isnt that rough on the clutches. its impossible right now stock vs stock to know down the road a tangible difference of life with mild to moderate LC use vs without knowing a bit about the process you arnt killing your car slowly every time you do it and there are worse things you can do to the car just daily driving. people really need to free themselves from that stigma.

what im saying is a bit of a mute point since I say this speaking for a stock powered car that uses the VDC to oversee the entire process. 90%(random # I made up but close) of people on here use aftermarket clones of the program that require VDC off and are on higher power.

A DBA ( 2012+) even with high power and no VDC really doesnt fail due to LC. you will see axles and other components fail first on the big power cars. so the mechanical parts are strong but at the end of the day Nissan intends the car to launch at 550-600hp with VDC on anything past that you are on your on even though it is proven real world. so when you are reading a thread that says im FBO with LC5 9.9 times out of 10 they are gonna be fine but that technically isnt the same as what are are asking as new owner with a stock car in the first place. on a stock DBA I have NEVER EVER heard of ANY issue related to the use of LC since the car came out in 2011

the fact is the 2008 fiasco really screwed up the psyche of GTR owners and half of them are almost afraid of the feature. It wont ever go away as that initial drama where every website ran articles of how the car was broken and then a big class action law suit left a permanent impression for some. 10 years from now you will be pumping gas and someone will come up to you and talk about the car and slide in a remark about you better not launch it ect. sure there were some issues and shortcomings back then but they honest to god fixed it on the DBA. if you own a 2012+ its truly not an issue if you have common sense as fail safes are in place.

what I mean by that is sure if you act like you are 16 and launch it at every stoplight every day of your life there will be some clutch wear. but going to the drag strip a few times a month or showing your buddies you can really expect no issues as its is a warranted feature and again with VDC and and they way the TCM/ECU works its very controlled and if is just waiting to babysit you and cut power and the faintest thing out of the ordinary. that is why the aftermarket ones require VDC off as the system really isnt compatible with higher powered cars. on the new cars there isnt even a counter of how many times its been used so that should tell you something..... its just part of the car ;)
Excellent review of the LC.

·
2015 BE Gun Metal Grey Stock
71 Posts

This makes me very happy

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice review MC. Since the main issue with the CBA models was the wheel hop with VDC off, does that mean loading LC5 on a CBA and launching using R,R,VDCoff will still cause problems, mainly with the first gear?
I have a 2009 and never used launch control since I bought it on 2011, I would love to try it but I do not want that risk.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It's funny, there's a for sale ad for some wheels on here. States they've never been launched LOL

The launch stigma is being passed on to aftermarket parts.

What is next? For sale: GTR Seats - "Never been launched in" lmfao

·
Founder/Admin
26,228 Posts
Nice review MC. Since the main issue with the CBA models was the wheel hop with VDC off, does that mean loading LC5 on a CBA and launching using R,R,VDCoff will still cause problems, mainly with the first gear?
there are mixed opinions about that long term as some may use it then some stick with the custom LC2 on those cars. if you are talking about just for the sake of this conversation a tuned or bolt on car where VDC needs to be off then not necessarily no just because the LC4-LC5 software logic itself isnt the same as the original LC so the clutches are slipped a little and the power is more dispersed. On LC1 its was abrupt and it would potentially depending on the surface cause the tire to skip then gain traction and that moment of regaining traction it would send a shock back through the car when the VDC wasnt there to cut power. on a LC5 car yes you can spin with both VDC off and on but you usually dont get that bouncing wheelhop( ive had it for a split second) and worst case you will get the 30 sec clutch overheat limp mode.

Im not a tuner and those guys for the most part might tell you a little something different but all I will say is even though its commonly done the LC4/LC5 logic wasnt intended for the CBA car as there is more going on with the DBA that allows the launch to work that just that single program.

with that said the more power you add and the more you launch anything could happen. that is just true with a lot of things taking it around a roadcourse ect. but to answer the questions using a LC5 program with VDC off isnt the same as what was going on with VDC off on the original car. A lot of people used LC1 and never had an issue (I probably used it a couple dozen or more times) but some did.

the more we talk about this and throw in variables it gets complicated and everyone is gonna have a different opinion, but the main take away of all this is a new owner like the original poseter who just went and picked up their stock GTR shouldnt even second guess using the feature.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Nice review MC! For anyone that may not know, the 2012+ does still record launches that are done with VDC off.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks for the info MC, I might try to launch it and hope nothing bad happens
And for the launch counts, it wasn't originally counting the launch control usage, it was only counting the times where the VDC turned off.

·
Founder/Admin
26,228 Posts
Thanks for the info MC, I might try to launch it and hope nothing bad happens
And for the launch counts, it wasn't originally counting the launch control usage, it was only counting the times where the VDC turned off.
it was counting something known as VDC OFF STALL STARTS (which is still in the system but a mute point on a stock DBA) which was the LC. on a 2009 you had to have VDC off so it would count each launch. there isnt a counter for just how many times VDC is off but what is done while off is monitored.

·
Founder/Admin
26,228 Posts
for those that havent launched if you look at my in car view its just a quick jolt and then the car is off and running so thats all we are talking about here as far as extra stress..you combine that with a very sensitive VDC watching you like a hawk its honestly no big deal

1080p

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for those that havent launched if you look at my in car view its just a quick jolt and then the car is off and running so thats all we are talking about here as far as extra stress..you combine that with a very sensitive VDC watching you like a hawk its honestly no big deal

1080p

Nice! What do you do for a living MC?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just bought an 09 that has "never been launched". It has LC2 loaded on it and the car is FBO lite on stock injectors. I too am a bit scared of the feature. I plan on upgrading my Cobb to a newer unit with TCM flashing so I can run LC5. But the above fact that LC5 doesn't work the same on a CBA car is interesting. I would like to know more.

·
Founder/Admin
26,228 Posts
LC2 isnt something to be scared off as its barely a launch as you are getting 2500-2700RPM its almost a glorified brake boost. its a fix that sort of overcompensated for the issues of the time and really toned things down.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Loading up LC4 or LC5 on a CBA is great and will make it safe to launch. It was LC1 at 4,500 rpms that would cause the damage as it was a brutal launch that caused wheel hop. Don't be afraid to launch your car as long as you don't do it too often and beat on it like MC said.

Here is a video of what wheel hop looks like on the CBA with LC1.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts