Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...waiting on my new wheels to be built and trying to figure out what tire setup to use....How long do the r888 last when daily driving?? I also like the nitto nt05 but i think the 40series in the front looks way to thick and to much like a truck tire!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I daily drive on them. I would guess around 8k-12k maybe if you only drive on straight highway roads. I was told to get new ones with in that time frame. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
around 10k if you a strictly daily driving. If you are doing track days or aggressive street driving (mountain cruises, etc) then the life is reduced significantly.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I want these but I'm just worried about getting stuck in the rain. Even with my Dunlops I was all over the road the one time I took my car out in the rain.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
I get 12-14k with a proper alignment on my car with them...thats with some track days mixed in.

The real question IMO about the R888s is at what point do they lose grip. If you are tracking the car at all then after just a few heat cycles you will start to see a loss in overall grip. That is my only gripe about the R888

However, I will say even after they lose that initial goodness they are still a very linear tire.

Hope this helps.

~Cicio

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
I get 12-14k with a proper alignment on my car with them...thats with some track days mixed in.

~Cicio
That many miles with some track days? You need to drive harder! J/K, that's some pretty impressive life. Was that on the M3 or the GT-R?

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
That was on the GT-R...Never had R888s on the M...I did however have them on the GT2 and got about 8k on them before the rears were done...the fronts went another 2k ish

I honestly think the R888 is really interesting. I think if you track it right off the bat then it actually increases the life of the tread depth on the tire. I could be wrong but it seems that after some solid heat cycles the tire actually loses enough grip that it almost doesn't wear the tire as bad.

On the GT2 I ran the first set off the car on the street in 3k miles...rear tires were SHOT! (no I wasn't doing crazy burnouts) The second set went to VIR as stickers, and then lasted 8k after that with two other track days but had substantially less grip on the track and street.

Bottom line I think its a weird tire...I like aspects of them, but overall don't think they are a great tire.

~Cicio

·
Vendor
1,540 Posts
Feel free to give me a call at the shop, we are direct with Toyo and can offer very competitive pricing. 678) 297 7770

- Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.