Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to my first track day next weekend. From what I read and heard is that the 2012 is an amazing car STOCK. Now, I do have a few friends that own the Gen I 09-11 model and they are telling me, I need tranny/oil cooler, some type of brake duct work, and most important better tires. Now I can understand better stickier tire, over the run flats. What I don't get is didn't the 2012 get better up grades over the others problems I have listed. I guess my main question is a 2012 more prep for the track, is it already just go out and beat on it. I am not an experience driver, so I don't think I can even come close to the limitation of the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am going to my first track day next weekend. From what I read and heard is that the 2012 is an amazing car STOCK. Now, I do have a few friends that own the Gen I 09-11 model and they are telling me, I need tranny/oil cooler, some type of brake duct work, and most important better tires. Now I can understand better stickier tire, over the run flats. What I don't get is didn't the 2012 get better up grades over the others problems I have listed. I guess my main question is a 2012 more prep for the track, is it already just go out and beat on it. I am not an experience driver, so I don't think I can even come close to the limitation of the car.
For the track I would use Normal tires not runflat. Also you can bring your GT-R to the dealer and setup the alignment for track model. 2012 is better for LC4.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just go and learn and drive.

Don't worry about too much stuff. Learn the basics. Learn them well. Give the car a good look over before you go on track.

I actually have something I was working on for tracking cars, but for now. Check tire pressures, check tire wear, look at the brake rotors. Put gas in it and have fun.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I know it is after your event, how did the gtr perform?
I recall MC reporting lower temperatures in his black edition last year at VIR vs his 09 due to the cooling improvements from Nissan, 10 degrees I believe.
Brakes I believe stil get very hot due the the speeds the car can achieve and therefore needs to shed before you turn.

Tires it's not just the stickiness of the tires, if you run non run flats you are saving on rotational mass which should improve acceleration.

Hope you had a great time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car handled very nice. I was more worry about cooling issues. When we were out at the Laguna Seca GTR event, there were some earlier models that went into limp mode due to over heating. The 2012 never came close.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Car handled very nice. I was more worry about cooling issues. When we were out at the Laguna Seca GTR event, there were some earlier models that went into limp mode due to over heating. The 2012 never came close.
I tracked my 2010 several times at Thunderhill, and during the last couple of events managed to get the engine oil into the red (nothing that a cooldown lap didn't fix, but still). I've since upgraded to a 2013, and although I haven't tracked it yet, in spirited street driving it seems to run about 10 degrees cooler, both for the engine oil and the transmission oil. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I tracked my 2010 several times at Thunderhill, and during the last couple of events managed to get the engine oil into the red (nothing that a cooldown lap didn't fix, but still). I've since upgraded to a 2013, and although I haven't tracked it yet, in spirited street driving it seems to run about 10 degrees cooler, both for the engine oil and the transmission oil. So far, so good.
Hi can you describe the differences between 2010 and 2013 from a drivers (bum on seat) prospective ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.