Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take a look at my mods (in signiture). Running E85 @ 18psi, at around 600whp/TQ, I know I'm close to what is considered the limit of what the stock internals will take before things start going wrong. I don't drag race or track the car and have never launched it, but the car is a daily driver with 25K miles on it since I bought it new. Like most people on E85, I am in love with the torque it produces and I do drive on full-boost regularly everyday.

My question is: Considering my aforementioned driving habits, am I still at risk of bending rods...or are people with similar setups only having problems when launching/dragging /tracking?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think you've got more chance bending rods on a Dyno than in a drag race, launching or tracking.

That instant full WOT torque hit and running up to the Red line boost/fuel cut then off the throttle response is what does the most damage.

·
Knowledge is recession proof!
4,212 Posts
The stock rods can only take so much, since it wasn't designed for big boost applications. They can however hold more than the stock torque levels. Removing the GT35R kind of power out of the equation, stock turbos/ modified stock turbos should not bend rods if tuned correctly.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
honestly rolling the dice .. the issue is all that hot air the small turbos are pushing to make that 600whp and 600rtq .. I think the only reason why a lot of these E85 stock turbo cars are not bending is b/c of the E85 cooling affect the fuel has..

shops have seen bent rods on 550whp (solid good tune).. now was that on E85? not sure . just know that HKS tested the actual rods and said 700PS its not IF they will bend but WILL bend.

600rtq over a period of time could bend them..a bad batch of E85 and done deal.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
dang 600tq? what dyno type? it depends on loads of factors. i hope you talk to a tuner that knows about the issue in detail.
Dave at got boost has pulled over 600rtq on a cobb's mustang dyno .. so I'm sure if you are 100% WG duty..same thing will happen give or take a few ponies.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
I can't wait to take a peek at mine as soon as I tear her down. I'll update everyone on the rod status. Should be a decent test because I've got 7 or 8k miles on it at 600+ TQ levels.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have not seen too many E85 stock turbo cars bend rods. I have seen one recently on Q16. I have also seen rod bending from E85 and upgraded turbos.

My rods look pretty good, but I will put a straight edge to them and see how off they are. And my motor has seen some pretty high boost in the middle. But most of my E85 miles were to and from the track (well maybe a few at the track too) LOL.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was advised otherwise when I asked for a 100 octane tune for my alpha 6 by Chris black. He said that they were not advising higher octane tunes due to the heat the stock turbos generate in that package. Gains were not worth the risk.

·
Registered
460 Posts
honestly rolling the dice .. the issue is all that hot air the small turbos are pushing to make that 600whp and 600rtq .. I think the only reason why a lot of these E85 stock turbo cars are not bending is b/c of the E85 cooling affect the fuel has..

shops have seen bent rods on 550whp (solid good tune).. now was that on E85? not sure . just know that HKS tested the actual rods and said 700PS its not IF they will bend but WILL bend.

600rtq over a period of time could bend them..a bad batch of E85 and done deal.
Are you saying the real issue is the onset of regular Det caused by the hot air produced by the smaller turbos? If an E85 car can run 600lbft of torque it suggests the rod can take the torque on it's own, but may be it's pushed past the safety area with some knock or the onset of Det? A larger FMIC should help reduce charge temps on stock turbos being pushed to their limit, I've just bought an AMS FMIC for some added safety running stock turbos.

I also read that high levels of torque low down in the rev range 2.5-3K is very bad because the work done over the same time is much greater at low rpm. I've asked for a flat torque curve instead of a peaky one because that should be safer (not necessarily quicker down the strip).

Anders

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can't wait to take a peek at mine as soon as I tear her down. I'll update everyone on the rod status. Should be a decent test because I've got 7 or 8k miles on it at 600+ TQ levels.
When are you planning on building your motor? Have you decided on the turbo setup yet? I've toyed with the idea of upgraded turbos to get better top end, but bending the rods scares me. I don't want to build the motor at this point.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
When are you planning on building your motor? Have you decided on the turbo setup yet? I've toyed with the idea of upgraded turbos to get better top end, but bending the rods scares me. I don't want to build the motor at this point.
I'm just waiting on my turbos and then I'm tearing into her. The turbos are being tested on another car Thursday and if all goes well they are the ones I'll be using. They are GTX2867R's.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have been running 600 whp and 640 tq on c16 for almost 1 month now they told my its not good but I'm not sure

·
Registered
112 Posts
Detonation blows holes in pistons, torque bends rods - end of story (yes I've done both in various engines).

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Detanation can also put rods threw the block, not just tq. I had a turbo integra that threw a rod and we all know Hondas don't make tq! Lol

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Honda B engines and torque are like cheese and beer

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was really hoping to hear a few things NOT to do (driving behavior-wise), to avoid excess strain on the rods. I haven't heard any of that and after reading the posts, I am thinking I may not make the switch back to E85 for summer and instead just stick with my more conservative 17lbs. 93-octane tune. god I HATE the exhaust stink w/o cats, but I'd hate an engine blowing a lot more.

·
Sophisticated
2,980 Posts
I was really hoping to hear a few things NOT to do (driving behavior-wise), to avoid excess strain on the rods. I haven't heard any of that and after reading the posts, I am thinking I may not make the switch back to E85 for summer and instead just stick with my more conservative 17lbs. 93-octane tune. god I HATE the exhaust stink w/o cats, but I'd hate an engine blowing a lot more.
My advice would be to put the stock intake and cats back into place. You will still have a car that runs 10's at almost 130mph and no stink and you won't have to worry about the rod's at any psi.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sitting on the motorway/freeway in 6th at 2000rpm and booting it to overtake a car without changing down gears will generate more low down torque.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts