Nissan GT-R Forum banner

How NOT to bend connecting rods

11K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Socalaviator 
#1 ·
Please take a look at my mods (in signiture). Running E85 @ 18psi, at around 600whp/TQ, I know I'm close to what is considered the limit of what the stock internals will take before things start going wrong. I don't drag race or track the car and have never launched it, but the car is a daily driver with 25K miles on it since I bought it new. Like most people on E85, I am in love with the torque it produces and I do drive on full-boost regularly everyday.

My question is: Considering my aforementioned driving habits, am I still at risk of bending rods...or are people with similar setups only having problems when launching/dragging /tracking?

Thanks in advance guys!

Discussion starter · #18 ·
I was really hoping to hear a few things NOT to do (driving behavior-wise), to avoid excess strain on the rods. I haven't heard any of that and after reading the posts, I am thinking I may not make the switch back to E85 for summer and instead just stick with my more conservative 17lbs. 93-octane tune. god I HATE the exhaust stink w/o cats, but I'd hate an engine blowing a lot more.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I being driving mine with E85 for almost 3000+ miles. I think they are doing fine. I like the E85 smell. at least I don't have to clean the tips every other day.
Try running 93-Octane catless...you'll really like the E85 smell then.

I've run my on E85 for 11k miles (year-round DD) and I too have had no issues. I'm just concerned that at some point it'll go pop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.