Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this topic has been done before, but this happened just a few minutes ago. I went to the mall with a buddy and as soon as we park, someone walks by and asks how much my car was. I have a 2009 GTR and instead of going into details I just blurt out "... around 70." The guy was like "daaaamn...that's nice ride..." and walks away. Then my buddy asks how often that happens and how he thinks it's rude that people ask that. I just tell him that it's happened a few times since I've had the car, but not very often. Not too many people know about the GTR and I don't have a problem telling them if they're interested. So we go into the mall, have lunch, and walk back to the car. My buddy wanted to take a smoke break before we want back to work so we're standing near the car and sure enough, another person just getting to the mall and comes up and asks if it was our car and after saying yes, how much? Not that it was a big deal to me, but it got me thinking, how often does this happen to everyone else? What do you guys say?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
This is the most annoying question and almost EVERYONE asks it. Next question is usually "how much horsepower does it have". I have decided to answer "half a million" to both questions from now on.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I get asked this by a lot of guys on base but they are usually young guys that are just starting out in the Army so when I tell them the price tag I just tell them that if you want something bad enough you'll do anything to get it. Save your pennies boys.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I've gotten it quite a bit and a lot of people say it's an $80k car or $70k car. Umm... I have a 2012 BE, it was $96k (obviously I don't tell them that, I just nod at them).

I really don't like it when people ask. It puts you in an uncomfortable position. Seriously, go online and spend 30 seconds, it's public knowledge, I'd rather not talk about my finances with random people. The worst is the people that ask if you bought or leased or what you do for a living--none of your business!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Can't help but be reminded of this:

In any event, I just answer the question honestly. In my limited experience, the ones that ask me tend to be car enthusiasts who are genuinely interested in how much they cost. But that's just what I've encountered, I'm sure it varies.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Can't help but be reminded of this:

In any event, I just answer the question honestly. In my limited experience, the ones that ask me tend to be car enthusiasts who are genuinely interested in how much they cost. But that's just what I've encountered, I'm sure it varies.
If they were car enthusiasts, don't you think they would know what it costs or know that they could just look it up? I think it's a tactless question, just like the question "how much do you make?"

·
Founder/Admin
26,479 Posts
yeah i get this alot and im just honest i say it was about 100K but i dont say it like im bragging just being factual

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I love the GTR but at the end of the day its still just a car. No need to thumb your nose about it.
I don't think not wanting to answer personal questions is thumbing your nose about it. I love the car, but I can't stand the attention it gets. Especially from people that I would never ever associate with. The only reason why I humor them is because I don't want them keying my car and/or doing something else stupid.

For example, the ghetto "gansta" type that comes up to me that are like "eeeey!!! damn man, that's a sick car. how much it cost you, holmes?" Do you really want to answer that? Especially if it's in front of your house? During the times I've washed it outside of my parent's house, I've had one kid make a u-turn to come up to me and ask to take pics or see the car. He's done it each time I've been there. It gets real old, fast. I don't live with my parents and my car is usually only there maybe once a month, but they're older and I'd rather not bring them that kind of attention with random kids coming by.

I've even gotten a PM on this forum from someone that doesn't own the car and won't be buying one, but just joined to ask me if I live in a certain place. That's pretty damn creepy if you ask me.

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
Same here. A little uncomfortable explaining the financial part with people. I think I got a solid price at $63k on an '09 with 15k miles last year, but still. The biggest issue I have is when people at work ask, because you know that is going to explode around the "water cooler" in some situations. I think it helps being young (24) so that when younger guys that work for me ask, I use it as a tangible lesson, not to brag, but to show that responsibility and determination gets you your wants.

Next question is "How fast have you gotten it" and my honest answer is "Only around a 100, by the way do you know of any abandon airstrips around?" Usually takes them a couple seconds then I get a shit eating grin from them.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If they were car enthusiasts, don't you think they would know what it costs or know that they could just look it up? I think it's a tactless question, just like the question "how much do you make?"
No, I don't think all car enthusiasts are walking encyclopedias of retail knowledge. It's a fair question in the right context.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
No, I don't think all car enthusiasts are walking encyclopedias of retail knowledge. It's a fair question in the right context.
I disagree. This car is not the average car. It has been polarized by the media, other enthusiasts, and the car community in general. It has become the Dallas Cowboys or NY Yankees of the automotive world. Everybody who follows motorsports, knows about this car. Like it or hate - it made itself known.

·
WHITE NINJA
4,182 Posts
I don't think not wanting to answer personal questions is thumbing your nose about it. I love the car, but I can't stand the attention it gets. Especially from people that I would never ever associate with. The only reason why I humor them is because I don't want them keying my car and/or doing something else stupid.

For example, the ghetto "gansta" type that comes up to me that are like "eeeey!!! damn man, that's a sick car. how much it cost you, holmes?" Do you really want to answer that? Especially if it's in front of your house? During the times I've washed it outside of my parent's house, I've had one kid make a u-turn to come up to me and ask to take pics or see the car. He's done it each time I've been there. It gets real old, fast. I don't live with my parents and my car is usually only there maybe once a month, but they're older and I'd rather not bring them that kind of attention with random kids coming by.

I've even gotten a PM on this forum from someone that doesn't own the car and won't be buying one, but just joined to ask me if I live in a certain place. That's pretty damn creepy if you ask me.
man this thread is making me not want to get a GTR,,,i can see this happening to me LMFAO

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
"You can lease one for about 12 a month," is a pretty fair response. (Your number may vary.)

·
Registered
929 Posts
I disagree. This car is not the average car. It has been polarized by the media, other enthusiasts, and the car community in general. It has become the Dallas Cowboys or NY Yankees of the automotive world. Everybody who follows motorsports, knows about this car. Like it or hate - it made itself known.
I guess we agree to disagree. Some of the people I've met know of the car, but the details, such as pricing, they're not sure of. So I fill them in.

·
Registered
388 Posts
smart ass people will say GTR like 70k, that's the price when they first came with before the 20k mark up. I notice a lot of other car forum, when they start compare the GTR, they always said the GTR it just 70k dollars.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.