Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's simple, MASH ACCELERATOR FROM IDLE.

I'm posting this all together in its own separate thread for all GTR owners to see. Go to your local drag strip, do it yourself, then come back here and post results. Hopefully this will shut all the haters up, our resale values will go back up, and all the crying will stop over no LC in 2010.

My car is no ringer and I am definitely no pro drag racer. My best time so far is 11.691, best mph so far is 121... bone stock, pump gas, stock tires, nothing taken out for weight reduction, no launch control, and during a regular Test and Tune track day. Many GTR drag beginners and even magazines were only hitting mid/low 12s without LC because I'm sure they were holding down the brake and revving to 2k (as if LC were engaged) then manually shifting with the paddles. Those were the times we were getting at first too. After learning to just mash the accelerator from idle and let the computer do the shifting in auto, we hit high 11s every time (as long as cool down between runs). If weather temps are low 60s or cooler, MID 11s every time! ANYONE can hit these times, it's stupid easy.

Arrive to track with 1/4 of a tank, let car cool for a good 20-30 mins with hood up, put in RRR, keep in AUTO, drive around water box, do NOT try a burnout, do NOT deep stage (stop as soon as second staging bulb is lit), take foot off brake, when light turns green, MASH ACCELERATOR. That's it. It may be possible to hit an 11.5 under absolute perfect conditions (cold yet sunny day with good track prep at sea level).

·
Registered
60 Posts

I'm posting this all together in its own separate thread for all GTR owners to see. Go to your local drag strip, do it yourself, then come back here and post results. Hopefully this will shut all the haters up, our resale values will go back up, and all the crying will stop over no LC in 2010.

My car is no ringer and I am definitely no pro drag racer. My best time so far is 11.691, best mph so far is 121... bone stock, pump gas, stock tires, nothing taken out for weight reduction, no launch control, and during a regular Test and Tune track day. Many GTR drag beginners and even magazines were only hitting mid/low 12s without LC because I'm sure they were holding down the brake and revving to 2k (as if LC were engaged) then manually shifting with the paddles. Those were the times we were getting at first too. After learning to just mash the accelerator from idle and let the computer do the shifting in auto, we hit high 11s every time (as long as cool down between runs). If weather temps are low 60s or cooler, MID 11s every time! ANYONE can hit these times, it's stupid easy.

Arrive to track with 1/4 of a tank, let car cool for a good 20-30 mins with hood up, put in RRR, keep in AUTO, drive around water box, do NOT try a burnout, do NOT deep stage (stop as soon as second staging bulb is lit), take foot off brake, when light turns green, MASH ACCELERATOR. That's it. It may be possible to hit an 11.5 under absolute perfect conditions (cold yet sunny day with good track prep at sea level).
...i love you, man lol

·
Registered
6,755 Posts

...ANYONE can hit these times, it's stupid easy.
Props to you.

Even a "caveman" can do it.

Sometimes the simple and direct approach is the best.

Thank goodness for the electronics that are working hard behind the scenes.

Makes ya wonder what sticky non runflat tires would do to help with performance.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
When some of us take the foot off the brake we get creep. That is the car creeps forward a little. Can we just let off the brake and mash at the same time?

·
Registered
596 Posts
When some of us take the foot off the brake we get creep. That is the car creeps forward a little. Can we just let off the brake and mash at the same time?
Not at the same time but certainly let off brake then mass accelerator right after. If you have the brake pressed at all and try to hit the accelerator the car's computer will know it and you'll bog down.

·
Founder/Admin
26,438 Posts
mine creeps foward a little when there is no brake applied but that doesnt hurt the acceleration just let off the brake and stomp it immediately

i thought creeping foward like an automatic was normal?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you shouldn't creep at the track, since it's completely flat, I don't. But yes, take foot off brake and immediately mash.

Oh yes, I forgot, FOLD IN MIRRORS. Be sure and do it at pre-stage so the starter guy will look at you funny, lol.

...j/j, folded mirrors not needed.

·
Founder/Admin
26,438 Posts
not needed thats just one more thing to do . of you let off the brake there is a slight pause before it creeps so just let off the brake then immediatly stomp it, thats how i was getting sub 2 sec 60ft times in RRR.

·
Founder/Admin
26,438 Posts
you shouldn't creep at the track, since it's completely flat, I don't. But yes, take foot off brake and immediately mash.

Oh yes, I forgot, FOLD IN MIRRORS. Be sure and do it at pre-stage so the starter guy will look at you funny, lol.

...j/j, folded mirrors not needed.
i think it has to do with tranmission settings, but some GT-Rs creep foward on flat surfaces. honestly i thought all of them did until a few guys like you said theirs didnt

there is like 13 settings in the tranny and most are set at like 6-7 im not sure which way it needs to be adjusted but i bet a little tweak up or down is the reason for the creep

mine creeps the same in both auto and manual. never thought anything of it

·
Founder/Admin
26,438 Posts
also going back to what hybridMT said auto and manual dont really make a difference (only that auto shifts at around 6600 i think were in manual i held it to just at maybe 6900)

on the top right is auto on the top left is manual for the 1/8th both RRR mode one had a slightly better trap one a slightly better ET. but both would be in about the 11.8 ish range all day long. and this was done over and over on a almost 80 degree day a few weeks ago. so more evidence of consistant performance without LC at the end of the day i prefered using manual just because i felt like i was doing it but either way will get you these times

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think people need to know that the track condition play a huge role. We've seen guys not running that fast actually with the LC. So there's no way to think they can go faster ar their track without it. But it can certainly close the gap significantly between the LC and non LC.

But if you are trapping 121 mph, you are certainly in some great conditions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Excellent post....thank you!
I cant wait to give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Under normal driving conditions, say starting from a green light, when I step on the accelerator and the tranny engages, there is this clunk. The harder I step, the louder and more harsh is that clunk. I now tap the pedal first to let the tranny engage and then step on the gas. Is this normal, and if so, what will that "clunk" be like when you mash the accelerator as being described here?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, my best times at the mile were done this way.
mine doesn't creep and im glad. It feels like a true standard! If it did creep i would ask Nissan to adjust it. I prefer to bring the revs up to ask the GTR to move.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.