Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts

Chris (AMS' Tuner) is on the dyno now but he wanted me to come in here and post this AWESOME news we just got by email.

The same system we have used to tune EVO's and Subaru's is now coming out for hte GT-R. here are words right from ECUtek

"Ecutek are pleased to, once again, announce a world first.

1st December sees the release of our programming and editing suite for the stunning Nissan GTR R35.

We are currently working through the 400+ 2D maps and over 100, 3D maps in this ECU to give you a full understanding of functionality of this powerful ECU.

Programming time for the ECU is currently 17 seconds enabling fast mapping and testing.

Models supported at date of release will be the Japanese domestic market models as well as all US specification cars. As models are released into other world markets we will be

supporting these within days of their release .

Our development car is being used for testing of the software and to generate example data for you.

For those customers with current FlashCAN hardware this will be a feature update."

ECUtek is an awesome tuning tool. it uses no hardware and just reprograms yours factory ECU. On evo's we have used this tool to tune cars to make in upwards of 600whp.

Since AMS is an ECUtek dealer and can be certain we will be using this tool to pull a great deal of HP out of the GT-R very soon!

Eric

·
Cobb Tuning
421 Posts
This is a full reflash suite, like techtom, but better.

We have techtom for the EVO, and I must say that ECUTeK is much easier to use and provides the customer with much better tunes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think this is awesome, ECUTek is a great mod and I've seen lots of Evo's and STi's doing well with this. It seems to be the best way to go with these new advanced ECU's rather than replacing the stock ECU and impairing daily drivibility this keeps the factory ecu and lets you adjust certain parameters.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
i have been thinking about ecu tek and haltech. i think im going to opt for the haltech, but when results are shown from both i will then make a final decission. there are still technosquare and a annother usa ecu brand. i think they are both going to be at sema if im not mistaken. well see.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yes! Finally a solid tunning device that will allow a custom reflash and really break into this car!

Chris- I cant wait to see what you do

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
i have been thinking about ecu tek and haltech. i think im going to opt for the haltech, but when results are shown from both i will then make a final decission. there are still technosquare and a annother usa ecu brand. i think they are both going to be at sema if im not mistaken. well see.
I actually tried calling halltech for a while now on when they planned to realse this ECU.....

No call back or anything.

Personally Id rather see someone here from the states, like AMS, that is already familiar with certain softwares, like Ecuteck or AEM etc. etc. to make power and test the product- Especially on this car, then having "GT-R Tuners" or other companies Ive never heard of that are jumping into this car that arent familiar with either one of these softwares touching my car.....

Unless Ive missed posts by halltech or other forum members with real knowledge about the ECU, I havent heard anything new for a while. All Ive personally seen or heard is that video they put up about 7 months ago on Streetfire and youtube.

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
cool , what are the differances with the Cobb accessport?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I actually tried calling halltech for a while now on when they planned to realse this ECU.....

No call back or anything.

Personally Id rather see someone here from the states, like AMS, that is already familiar with certain softwares, like Ecuteck or AEM etc. etc. to make power and test the product- Especially on this car, then having "GT-R Tuners" or other companies Ive never heard of that are jumping into this car that arent familiar with either one of these softwares touching my car.....

Unless Ive missed posts by haltech or other forum members with real knowledge about the ECU, I havent heard anything new for a while. All Ive personally seen or heard is that video they put up about 7 months ago on Streetfire and youtube.
I talk to Nathan, the project lead for the GT-R @ Haltech once in a while of course they're physically located near me so that helps. I see him at industry events around the place and always chew his ear off for ages about the development process. They will most likely be at SEMA so check them out. Basically Haltech are leading up to major release of the full ECU soon if I recall correctly.

Anyways I've seen touched and even photographed the Haltech ECU and while it's nothing special to look at - under the hood will be quite interesting. There's always going to be limits you cant push with a OE ECU that aren't an issue in a full replacement ECU.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
ya, haltech knows ALOT about this process and make tools that are as good or better than ecutek and the rest of them.

american tuners are getting there hands on these to beta test soon. so it wont be long until they go on sale, but its still a few months out, which is just my guess.

·
Cobb Tuning
421 Posts
I will agree that having a full stand alone system can be quite advantageous for cars that are heavily modified, have large injectors, big cams, and special needs, like map switching.

However, about 85% of people will never need this capability. The fact of the matter is:

The car is a 6 cylinder and wont need 1600cc injectors or even 1000cc injectors in order to have the correct amount of fuel for the intended horsepower output

Camshafts have come a long way, and as we research, test and develop them, we know that you don't need to make a car idle poorly to make a very good camshaft.

The car has TWO mass airflow sensors equipped from the factory. This means that we will be able to meter alot of air, even in factory form, and we won't need a huge MAF with bad resolution if they do end up needing to be upgraded.

The factory ECU typically has very good knock control, which has been carefully tuned by the factory. MOST stand alone systems DO NOT use knock control. This is one of the main reasons why we use the AEM EMS on most of high profile cars, but this is an entirely different discussion...

All of these things are typically what would make me recommend an aftermarket replacement ECU to one of my customers, However most of the time we DO NOT find that necessary. You are also at the mercy of your tuners ability to handle your drivability of your vehicle when you upgrade to a full stand alone ECU. There are instances where this is not a problem, but I can assure you, as a shop that fixes alot of other shop's work, that there are more than a few times that I have seen horrible drivability AND overly agressive tuning.

I am aware that Haltech is very good with the new CAN protocol cars and I am very excited to see how they adapt what they will have available for the GTR's. I am excited to use and support the product as well. I am sure it will have its place in more than a few GTRs. I just would like everyone to be informed on the full potential of each system. If there is more info on the Haltech system, I would love to see it.

·
www.goturnstop.com
1,377 Posts
Haltech will be at SEMA.
Official release of GT-R ecu.. maybe. It is very close. If you have ever work w/ aussies you know never to put any faith in their eta's.

This ECU will be impressive. I promise. Wish I could say more......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Their reply a while ago:

"Haltech is planning to release the R35 GTR ECU for SEMA Later this year.

Testing so far has released nearly another 100kw at the wheels with fuel,timing and boost .

I will keep you informed closer to the release date."

"We will be releasing a range of exciting new products at this year's SEMA Show in Las Vegas, stop by our booth (20951) for a look into the future of engine management"

I would think the Moteec would be really good choice, given its huge capability and known stability. But it will be an overkill, unless you are driving an F1

Otherwise, ECUtek and Haltech would be relevant to most of us. Just need to sort out the type of fuel and level of engine knock et

·
Registered
35 Posts
Their reply a while ago:

"Haltech is planning to release the R35 GTR ECU for SEMA Later this year.

Testing so far has released nearly another 100kw at the wheels with fuel,timing and boost .

I will keep you informed closer to the release date."

"We will be releasing a range of exciting new products at this year's SEMA Show in Las Vegas, stop by our booth (20951) for a look into the future of engine management"

I would think the Moteec would be really good choice, given its huge capability and known stability. But it will be an overkill, unless you are driving an F1

Otherwise, ECUtek and Haltech would be relevant to most of us. Just need to sort out the type of fuel and level of engine knock et
I have used Haltech for my other cars and like the product. When I called them a couple of months ago asking about a unit for the GT-R the guy I spoke with said it wasn't a priority because they didn't see a significant market for the product. I guess they didn't think a significant number of people spending $80K for a car were likely to modify it and void their warranty. They said their development money was going into more mass marketed cars.

Maybe they changed their mind?

By the way, I was the first person to ever get a magna charger on a LS6. Word to the wise - don't be the first person with a major mod. Let them work out the bugs...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
cool , what are the differances with the Cobb accessport?
I was going to wait for an official answer but I will tell you the differences in the Subaru world where both ECUTek and Cobb are highly involved. Here is a short list of pros and cons comparing the two:

ECUTek PROS:
-supposidly gives the tuner access to more/all of the maps where Cobb doesn't (I cannot speak to this first hand as I never tuned with either).
-their software product was in the field 3-4 years before Cobb's
-slightly cheaper for the license - typically was between $400-500 for the license which would allow your ECU to be reflashable with ECUTek software

ECUTek CONS:
-only authorized tuners were allowed to tune and create maps for your car
-only authorized tuners were allowed to flash maps onto your ECU (so you couldn't hook up something like the AccessPort and flash a off-the-shelf map onto the ECU yourself).
-each 'flash' was a hard reflash and supposidly the Suby ECU's were only flashable a fixed number of times (200+ or so)

Accessport PROS:
-end user has ability to flash off-the-shelf maps onto the ECU themselves
-you can choose between a 'hard flash' which is like ECUTeks reflashing or a 'live flash/map' which does not count towards one of the limited number of reflashes on the ECU
-Accessport PDA device also doubles as a bit of a logging device, code reader/clearer, 0-60 performance G-Meter, gas mileage, map repository, etc

Accessport CONS:
-supposidly didn't have access to all of the maps (when using AccessTuner - end user self tuning software to make maps with) compared to ECUTek
-slightly more expensive up front

With all that said that was the way it was in the Subaru community. I am not sure if ECUTek has added features similar to Cobb or lightened up on the end user being able to reflash themselves with the GTR. I had a ECUTek custom reflash on my 04 STi for a number of years and it ran great. I now also run a Accessport V2 on my 08 FXT with an off-the-shelf Cobb map and a custom E85 tune that I can switch between and that also works great. I personally think the Accessport wins with live map (not hard reflashing your ECU) for switching maps and giving end user ability to switch maps easily. But that is just MHO.

hth

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually ECUTek has a program where you can adjust settings yourself now, if you go to their website they talk all about their products.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts