Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a rant post about sheer unluck since my Alpha 9 rebuild from FBO. At this point it's either really really bad coincidence, evil eye, or shop error, which I doubt since it's a GTR expert shop that has done over 100 builds bigger than mine with no issues from owners. Just ranting and sharing my horrible experience moving from FBO to partial built.

I've had my FBO 7 years, from USA until moving back to KSA in 2018 and retuned. Had no issues at all. I decided to pull the trigger for a rebuild at 37K miles. AMS Race 3.8 shortblock, Dodson superstock + an added 8th plate 8/8 and 1st gear/input shaft and more.. Went with the expert AMS authorized dealer shop for the build, and got the car back a month later… and now the damages begin. One thing to add is the horrible humid, hot and often dusty weather over here that does play a role in clogging/damaging parts..i assume.

1- Damaged 4WD gear: A few miles post break-in, started noticing loud trans whines. Louder by the day. Turns out the circlip on the FWD broke, and damaged the gear and output shaft. Got a full FWD gearset+the dodson gearlock. Back to normal. (Video: Clutch Whine)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Product Wheel Automotive lighting
Camera lens Automotive tire Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics

2- Trans pump damaged: caused by above, tiny chips from the 4wd gear got into the pumps or something like that and taking it out. So that, replaced.
Crankset Bicycle part Rim Bicycle chain Font

3- Shift Fork 1/R damage: 7 months later, randomly one day, car won't shift to 1/R. Got the P2715, which is a solenoid code (d), but while inspecting all were fine. Turns out the 1/r (stock) fork had the ends a bit chipped, and wasn't hooking properly. Replaced with the Dodson 1/R fork. Back to normal. (Video: P2715)

4- Oil cooler leak:
exact year post-build, I notice huge leak underneath after parking overnight. Back to the shop, and…Engine Oil Cooler had a leak. Had it fixed, instead of replacing the part as this point I've been spending so much on part replacements & labor. Car was back to normal.
Brown Grey Road surface Asphalt Flooring

4 Months later, Aug '22, I decided to swap from Cobb to Ecutek. Had that done, and retuned ECM/TCM (0,0,0,0). A few days later, I noticed that car would jerk on start up. Spoke with tuner, adjusted to 2,2,2,2 , started better, but felt heavier on low corners. Re-adjusted to all -1 and here come the issues below

5- Several issues (Camshaft A Position, Heat exchanger, Clutches, Rear Diff): Did one pull, before reaching 30 mph car went on a mad boost cut & backfires and limp. Checked the DTC tool, and P0011 popped up Camshaft Pos Timing over. Cleared that code, no more limp. Drove back home and got a TCM CEL (P283C- Shift Fork "C" Position) and lost odd gears. Back to shop. (Video: Boost Cut P0011)

When they started draining the fluids, the oil was pure WHITE! And found the Trans Heat Exchanger damaged, which caused oil/water mix in all over the trans/clutches/rear differential. That also damaged my Dodson clutches, bending some of them. So, had to replace all the clutches again + new heat exchanger + cam sprocket and fluids. As for the camshaft pos timing, shop advised to refresh the motor like the seals/o-rings etc..since the timing chain was fine. At this point, I was drained with all the cost of fixes & labor so I decided to wait on that a little. (Video: White Fluid)

*Note: a few days before converting to Ecutek, we had a bad Sandstorm for about 2 days. Dust all over the place…my gut says it could be dust/dirt clogging the VVT intake, which is throwing the P0011 code. I didn't have them strip the motor down for inspection, had enough on labor cost so far.

I asked the shop to keep the car, drive & test it for a week with the owner. And they did about 100 miles. No gear issues except for the Drivetrain, which they believed might have been damaged with the fluid mix-ins from that damaged heat exchanger, since it still felt rough on 1st gear when the car is cold, and also crunching noise on Reverse. I got the car, drove it all week. Gear settings we're set to all 0s, and shifting so so smooth with no jerks, rough shifts etc..that I had previously. I did get the Cam P0011 CEL 3 times & limp, but once cleared it drives back fine. At this point, just testing the car for trans feedback.

6- Shift Fork C & D: A week later today, driving to work normally, and TCM CEL lights up. Goes on limp, no odd gears or R AGAIN. This time, I had 2 different Fork codes. P2841 (Shift Fork "D" Position) and P284B (Shift for "C" Stuck). And now back to the shop. (Video: P2841 & P284B)

I'm going NUTS here… and yes, I do believe some of the issues above are shop install-error related. At the same time, random and unrelated parts keep breaking. And when they do, they take out other parts with it.

Any of you guys had issues once you rebuilt the motor/trans..??
Can they inspect the P0011 issue without dropping the engine & charge me my kidneys??
We only have ONE shop for GTR / JDM cars, so it's not like I have a sea of shops to move onto.

Post #2 below for all updates - post damage inspection & rebuild

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Reserved - for updates post issue #6 (P2841/P284B)

Update 1: (Oct 16, 2022)
  • Updates & inspection of main damages
Spoke with the shop about the fork issue codes. The fact that it's not hooking at all, and codes re-appear after being cleared, they believe 100% fork(s) damage. Now they haven't dropped the Trans yet for a full inspection, since i said to wait before i start being charged on labor.

After discussing, they agreed to drop the trans to inspect, without labor costs, until they find the damaged part(s), replace etc.. When they said it's 100% fork, visually, I added that the gears might also be damaged since when that code first came up and car went into 2nd & 6th only while driving slow.. there was a loud whine. Shop believes that's my current "DRIVETRAIN" problem that was caused by issue #5, with having all the fluid mix ups going into the clutches and probably made it's way to the drivetrain..

Correct me if I'm wrong, damaged drivetrain requires a full drivetrain replacement right? like no single damaged part replacement that's sold individually right? thats a big pain.

Update 2: (Nov 20, 2022)
  • Regarding P0011 (Camshaft A position)
  • Current status of damages & replacements needed

In regards to the P0011 (Camshaft A position) issue #5 in the post above. Some asked if the timing chain/tensioner etc.. we're replaced during the first short block rebuild. Yes, they were.

When the car went back to the shop the Cam sprockets (13025-6KA0A), Bolt cam gear (13024A), Engine Timing Chain Tensioner (13070MA & 13070), along with the VVT Solenoids all were replaced. However, the issue P0011 was not resolved. That brings me back to the shops' first suggestion which is a full engine refresh to fix the P0011 issue.

Onto the next part regarding the recent Fork damage in Issue #6 above. Trans was dropped down, and the fork was damaged. The rear DIFF definitely has damages back from Issue #5 when the heat exchanger got damaged and fluids mixed into the Diff. Meaning I need a replacement.. currently looking for used / undamaged rear diff from totaled GTRs.

Update 3: (Nov 17, 2022)
  • Purchased Rear Differential
  • Rebuild plan & parts (Drivetrain & Engine)
After searching for a rear diff for sale, found 2 in USA listed between $1,500-$3,000 however shipping it all the way to Saudi Arabia quotes were way too high..plus the risk of it not being in mint condition since I can't inspect it. Finally, the shop owner of my car build went to UAE and found a mint 2016 diff from a person he knows well. Negotiated the price, and bought it...since shipping by land from UAE to SA costs nothing + any issues with it, we agreed to return/refund. (playing it safe).

As for the other DRIVETRAIN damage, since I got the P2841 Shift Fork "C" stuck and losing all gears except 2 & 6. Turns out Fork "C" 2/4 is actually damaged, so I'll have to replace it with the Dodson Heavy Duty 2/4 (DMS-7921). Remember (issue #3 post above), 7 months post my A9 build I had an issue with my 1/R fork and replaced it with the Dodson. Gear Synchro set will be replaced with Dodson (DMS-7927)
QUESTION: WHAT CAUSES FORK DAMAGES? Anyone??

Regarding the ENGINE parts, since I've had the P0011 Camshaft over timing code & cuts (issue #5 post above). After that, Engine Timing chain, tensioners, Cam sprocket, VVT Solenoid, and fluids refresh were all done...and yet was still getting the same codes, cut and limps. The shop owner advised to do a full engine refresh of all worn factory components (since i've owned the car now for almost 9 yrs) with the following replacements: Bearings, Gaskets, Engine oil pump, and other misc parts.

At this point, im in no rush to rebuild & pay it all now. So car will remain at the shop, I'll phase out payments for all the above as I have other business priorities , and I've already spent way way too much on all build damages... I'm just glad I sorted out the drivetrain replacement for now. Stay tuned..

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry to hear that!
I would do one thing.. ship the car to Sadadi performance (Bahrain) not so far from KSA.. they'll take care of you.

Don't worry, shit happenes..you're not the only one, heard similar stories with reputable shops in Dubai too.

Best of luck..

· Super Moderator
4,044 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your misfortunes!
My Alpha 9 update in 2014 went perfectly (by AMS)...best upgrade ever. Then my upgrade to Omega 12 in 2020 (again by AMS, but with new people there) went badly. Another shop fixed things.

Alexd

Reactions: GTRheritage

· Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
180 Posts
Damn man. Sorry to hear that. Good luck sorting it out...

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nightmare is right for the title...God Speed getting it sorted. It just seems "hit or miss" with GT-R shops and thread/s like this are keeping my scary ass basically stock
FBO level is actually smooth like stock. It was my daily for 4 years as an FBO.. but yeah I get what u mean. I still had paranoia during FBO with stock trans.. hence why i upgraded , lol the irony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear that!
I would do one thing.. ship the car to Sadadi performance (Bahrain) not so far from KSA.. they'll take care of you.

Don't worry, shit happenes..you're not the only one, heard similar stories with reputable shops in Dubai too.

Best of luck..
Ah yes i heard of Sadadi , hmm… I think I’ll have. Still waiting to hear back. Thank you bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
The title is appropriate: nightmare. God willing, things will be resolved. With GT-R shops and threads like this, it just feels "hit or miss," keeping my terrifying ass essentially stock.

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two critical points you need to do it now :
Who build the engine
Who tune

as they mention before you have first to go to decent workshop , then tuner
both shop & tuner are the most reputable in the country. 100 happy customers, except me & my luck.

· Registered
730 Posts
Two critical points you need to do it now :
Who build the engine
Who tune

as they mention before you have first to go to decent workshop , then tuner
We've all tried to get maj to get away from this shop and tuner for a while now but he always defends them for some reason stating they've built multiple fast gtr's. I think he's regretting the decision to stay with them now.

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We've all tried to get maj to get away from this shop and tuner for a while now but he always defends them for some reason stating they've built multiple fast gtr's. I think he's regretting the decision to stay with them now.
like i've said before.. here in Saudi, it's the only shop for GTRs. It's not like I have an option to be fooled more than once. Back in Massachusetts, I've encountered bad experience with a shop once, and immediately moved onto another one. I don't have that luxury here anymore..basically im stuck! .. unless I ship it overseas to another shop which is my extreme last resort. u get me ?

· Registered
10,313 Posts
Sorry to hear, been there done that. A9 should be bullet proof until you blowup the trans. Hate these type of threads. Nothing worse than throwing time and cash at these cars.

Regardless, you need to ship the car as recommended above. I did and didn’t look back.

Don’t need to start with a new car….

Not going to bash AMS, but they offered to fix things for free (the 3rd time) and sent it to Cicio instead. Don’t regret it one bit.

Also, FYI if you have a failure, you need to get all new parts, no way you get them cleaned out properly, regardless what the shop maybe telling you.

· Super Moderator
4,044 Posts
Sorry to hear, been there done that. A9 should be bullet proof until you blowup the trans. Hate these type of threads. Nothing worse than throwing time and cash at these cars.

Regardless, you need to ship the car as recommended above. I did and didn’t look back.

Not going to bash AMS, but they offered to fix things for free (the 3rd time) and sent it to Cicio instead. Don’t regret it one bit.

Also, FYI if you have a failure, you need to get all new parts, no way you get them cleaned out properly, regardless what the shop maybe telling you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Listen to this...

Alexd

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks man.. yeah for the damaged parts, I did replace with all new like the Clutches, FWD gearset, forks etc.. everything replaced with new. The only thing that I didn't replace & fix instead was the Engine cooler leak.

· MAJJ
ALPHA 9
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Listen to this...

Alexd
I wish it was as easy as shipping the car from one shop to another like in the states. Here in KSA, it's only one GTR shop. The closest I'd be able to ship it to a reputable shop in the GCC is in Bahrain, 870 miles away. Which can also be a risk of having the shop say.. sorry can't work on the car with the current parts, we have to rebuild all over again.. so that plus a roundtrip shipping.. gave the shop 2 days now to figure out, following up for updates.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts