Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
That's the plan.

I'm going to Japan in May to see my car in person before it ships out. Currently having some things done to it while it's there ie paint respray, replacing seals, swap transmission to a Getrag transmission, and engine build.
That's cool having all that stuff done before the car even gets here. Did your importer say the build will be cool as far as EPA goes? I know the "exempt if original configuration" wording is a bit murky when dealing with major mods.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Nice. Looks clean - no bubbled dash either lol.

The OEM steering wheel doesn't seem to age well - I've yet to see an R32 with an OEM wheel in good shape. Then again, they're all 25 years old lol.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I'm mainly looking forward to playing my "Best of Sade" in the cassette player.
Sweet! My car had a bloody Minidisc player in it lol. I haven't made up my mind whether that was cool for the totally JDM nature of it or horrible 'cause of the hard-to-get format

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Awesome. Would love those seats in my car. I wouldn't mind R33 GTR seats either.
Aren't the R33 seats the same as the R32 just with different upholstery?

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Yea, I just like the upholstery and stitching better. More modern.
I get that. Seems like it'd be easier to just get your r32 seats reupholstered or get new seat covers though. I got the Nismo ones for mine - hopefully I get a chance to work on them this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Nismo ones?!? I did not know those existed. Share a picture!!
Mine aren't installed yet so no pics but here's a link:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/nismo-pvc-leather-type-seat-cover-set-skyline-gt-r-bnr32.html

They're pricey but it's a full set for front and rear seats. I don't care for seats that don't look like they match lol.

There's also this one as a cheaper alternative:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/superior-black-carbon-look-seat-cover-full-set-r32-s13-r33-s14-s15-fd-ae86.html

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Lol

Speaking of turbos from your thread/build, I'm getting the Garett 2860R I believe. You guys know much about those?
Are you getting the -7 or the -5? The GT2860R-7 is the same spec as the R34 N1. Basically the same as the original R32/33 N1 turbos but with a ball-bearing CHRA instead of journal-bearing. Good for about 600ish hp. The -5 is good for 700ish but slower spool.

I was thinking of the -7 setup or GT2859R like in the HKS GT-SS for my car if I go stock location but right now I'm leaning towards the Full Race EFR high-mounts like I mentioned in other threads.

Are you doing anything special for the oiling issue btw? Has Do Luck recommended anything in particular for your car like a Tomei pump or whatever?

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Ughhhh, why do you do this to me? Now I have to buy them!
Your fault for getting a Nismo like me lol. I have to warn you though, fitting the Nismo covers on the front seats are a bitch and a half. I did my passenger seat yesterday and my fingers are still super sore and I have a cut on one now from doing it lol. And I'm still not done 'cause the belt holes are a real PITA. I'm gonna see if an upholsterer can help me with that part at least. The covers as they are look good at least - hard to tell they're covers.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
From the invoice, all it says is "Garett 2860R turbo Kit GCG"

It was suggested by Ito San. The car will be making around 550hp. As for pumps. I'm getting a Nismo fuel pump, a SARD fuel regulator, and a HKS fuel delivery pipe.
Actually I was asking about what you're doing for oil pumps since oiling is a known weak point with the RB so I was wondering if they had recommended you an upgraded pump, replacement crankshaft, changes to the sump, or any of that other stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Just wanted to give an update. The struggle still continues. I'm not really sure anymore when my car will actually be completed. Last month I've actually reached the point to stop asking and caring... I guess it'll be a surprise to me the day I receive an invoice for the labor. I have never ever thought that it would take this long.

Anyone interested in a gunmetal1990 Nissan Skyline GTR? hahahahaha...
R32 builds do seem to get out of hand lol. Mine looks like it'll be March or April at the soonest but it'll be fully fresh once it gets done. It seems so far away lol.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
The day my car gets here, I'm cracking open a bottle of Yamazaki sherry cask, because it'll be a special day. Hahahaha
That's a great idea! I'm going to have to get some bubby ready for when my car gets done lol.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Getting closer to getting it

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I even emailed Nismo, but they never got back to me.
I tried emailing Nismo about some questions we had on my Fine Spec motor and they didn't respond either. I'm going to see if my friend who leads one of the engineering teams at Nissan USA can help me out.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Of course you can never leave the Omori Factory without a couple small expensive goodies for the whip. The best part about going there is seeing her again, but this time on the showroom floor.
Once my R32 is done I totally need to start planning for a pilgrimage to Omori. I've always wanted to visit Nissan HQ, Nismo, and Akihabara but couldn't work out a good time to go with my friends. Maybe I'll do the D-Sport tour next year if my friends still can't go lol.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Going to Japan is actually really go for us right now since the Yen is weaker than the US Dollar. Also, you can do Japan on a budget, but it takes some planning. Since I go there all the time, I've done most of the touristy stuff 20yrs ago. Every time I go back there's always something new to do though or repeat. Shoe shopping is a bad habit every time I go though Hahahaha. I highly recommend a JR rail pass if travel on the Shinkansen. the only thing that sucks is that most of the tuner shops are in the sticks. Usually a 1-2hr train ride. Shorter if you have headphones or with company. Also a pocket wifi is a must when traveling.
My problem is time rather than budget lol. Unfortunately I still like going back to my old home country of the Philippines too much so I save my vacation time to go back there for three weeks at a time twice a year if I can. I've technically been to Japan a whole bunch of times but just as a stop over on the way to the Philippines lol.

Do you speak Nihongo or travel with someone who does? I can understand some of it but can't read or speak it nearly enough to really make do. How hard is it to get around if you don't? It's hard enough to find an English-speaker at Narita International so I'd imagine it's a nightmare outside the airport lol. I love how bloody polite the Japanese are though and the young sales staff at the airport shops are always so genki

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Love the PI! Japan is only a 4/5hr trip away. You should really go. It's pretty easy to get around. Well, I've been there so many times, it's easy to me. Google maps helps a lot if you want to go somewhere. It tells you which trains to take and what time to take it at. I speak and read a little Japanese so it helps a little.
I totally need to go. Every time I fly ANA to the Philippines and hit my layover in Narita I'm always thinking about just hitting up immigration, grabbing a taxi, and scratching my connecting flight lol. I've thought about a quick stop over but I know I'd just be left wanting if I go to Japan for only a day or two. I figure my first proper taste needs to be at least a week since I'm such a Japanophile. It'll happen - I'm more determined than ever now lol.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Was it hard to find that Nismo strut bar? I went with a Cusco CF bar on my car but I did sorta want the Nismo one just to keep the Nismo theme going.

And are you keeping that cassette player lol? My car had this useless Kenwood Minidisc player that I couldn't wait to bin.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Car's looking good Chris! Can't wait to see more pics once it's arrived and you've had a chance to drive it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts