Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
After some thought I'm going to be getting the mid pipe and a tune for sure, my question is whether the down pipe (no cats) is worth it also.

I've heard that it should help responsiveness an give me more on the top end, as well as make the car louder. But I guess my question is whether it's worth the money or if I should just do without.

So anyone want to talk me out of or into it? I'm on the fence. But I want to get all my mods in one shot, so this is decision time.

Thanks

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
Typically the airflow through the stock cats is high enough unless you are running larger turbos. We run our P700 PKG through the stock exhaust, on 91 octane for those out in Cali, for example. We won't be pushing the stock turbos hard enough to really see a difference with DP's or even an extravagant intake system.

You will see gains, they may be minor, but I am sure someone will post a dyno sheet showing otherwise. We do not have any dyno sheet comparisons of say our P600 with DP's added.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
No need to remove downpipe unless you are getting 3" intake and injectors. Without downpipe, most of the custom tunes out there max out the intake mass air voltage and injectors!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Im in the exact same boat, thinking that if im gonna screw around with the exhaust id rather do it once and just be done with it...i doubt down pipes will hurt...i think im gonna just go with them so incase i wanna go farther with the car its already done....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a midpipe now, and the car sounds great. I want to get downpipes, but there are a few things holding me back. The car will have more of a gas/exhaust smell, it will be quite a bit louder, and if I don't like the soud its not cheap to have them installed/uninstalled.

I just don't know if its worth the trouble for the extra 10-15hp they will net me on stock turbo's. If your going with cat-less down pipes you might want to get a catted midpipe, that will cut down on the smell/sound.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think Neil gave good advice. I would just get Downpipes if i have upgraded turbos.. 10-15HP aint much just my 2 Cents.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I just don't know if its worth the trouble for the extra 10-15hp they will net me on stock turbo's. If your going with cat-less down pipes you might want to get a catted midpipe, that will cut down on the smell/sound.
My car picked up 23whp using the same map, after installing DPs. I have a Cobb catted mid, early Harman intakes, Akra slip on, and factory injectors @ this point. I can honestly say that my car doesn't have the catless odor, and that only sustained WOT causes a little soot on the rear fascia.

I'm satisfied w/ the DP mod & believe it was worth it, overall. That being said, the car does sound a bit 'agricultural' when tooling around w/ the DPs, IMO. WOT sounds great, though...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was on the fence as well.. Decided to go Intake and custom tune instead of downpipes for the same dough.. Car is fast as hell, sounds sick, and has no real exhaust smell... The biggest difference between anything your thinking opf is a CUSTOM tune.. Shelf COBB is good, but does not compare...AJ--any questions feel free ta PM. here, or there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.