Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking for sometime and finally decided to make my "Membership" Official. I recently picked up what seems to be a well cared for second hand 2010 GT-R. After driving it for about a week now on various mountain roads my overall impression is that the car is better than expected. The ride leaves a lot to be desired though. At low speeds the car is very clunky and noisy, which suits me perfect as I like to hear and feel everything working. With the dual clutch and all the electronics I thought the driving experience would be very disconnected, but it isn't...somehow it all works and it works well.
My goal is a simple 575-600AWHP weekend car with the occasional AutoX and TNT track day. This week will be full of basic maintenance along with a install of the GB 3" Intakes, SFS 90MM Mid-Pipe, Cobb AccessPort Canned Tune and some 35% window Tint. I may ask some dumb questions for a little while as I am VERY new to the GT-R but I promise to search first. My rants so far are Teenagers will not leave me alone and tend to freakout, which I do not understand. people ask me one of two things.. "What's on the Dash?" or ."How much did that cost?". and finally every Joe blow in their straight pipe Chevy trucks wants to "Race"

Here are a couple pictures.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats OP!

Your experience so far seems smilar to other new owners who've shared. The unwanted attention must get annoying, but you probably saw that coming. Maybe just be happy you have such a desirable car! Can't wait 'till I get mine.

I like your mod plan too, no downpipes though?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Welcome,

All the things you mentioned are par for the course as a GTR owner.

If you want the ride comfort to improve the best thing to do is get some non runflat tires as soon as it is practical, michelin Pilot Super sport in OEM tire sizes or 285/35-20 on all four OEM wheels with stock suspension is fine. There is a possible current shortage of good tire sizes for this tire model.

You don't really need a ton more power to make the GTR very usable for street use. What you want is to get a little more HP and torque in the lower rpm power band which can easily be obtained with just a mid pipe and Cobb tune or Ecutek tune. For any ECU Map it's good to be able to add it and remove it easily as any POS or dealership visits need to be "without" ECU mods. The 3"intakes are not a requirement for just mid pipe and tune, in fact larger intakes are better suited for other bigger HP mods (downpipes, larger injectors, full large bore exhaust, etc).

You might want to check with a GTR tuner shop about whether or not to install the 3" intakes given your limited mod plan at this time. Ask whether you may get check engine light or limited if any benefit from the intake mod.

Another possible thing to add is a clear bra to the front of the car to protect it from stone chips and other damage, GTR paint is horrible and not durable. 3M ventureshield or Xpel are common choices-
https://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

But it's always best to use an experienced installer to get the best appearance. If there are exotic car owners in your area and they did clear bra installation locally you can get the name of a good installer.

Depending on how you like or dislike the audio system you can consider sound deadening to the trunk and to the rear seat, rear quarter panels and even the floor to keep out noise and heat and to improve audio bass. It's easy enough to do yourself if you buy online the raw materials.

Finally, I think that it's worth considering signing up for a performance driving course focusing on car control and how to handle a high power car. This will come in very handy if you do make it to a track or autocross event. Track driving is not the same as auto crossing but the basics of car control do apply.

If you do make it to a track and your GTR is more or less stock, then be sure to watch the various fluid temperatures and take a break when you see that temps are running hot. Tracked GTRs are modified with extra cooling for fluids and upgraded brakes/ brake fluid. Before tracking, it's good to consider the condition of the brake fluid (not old or dirty) and engine oil.

Otherwise have fun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great reply's guy's!

lithe: I did/ do have plans for a down pipe but being I do not have a lift in my shop I'm going to put that off for now until I can get that situation addressed.

AutoXGTR: Yes, the run flats will be gone as soon as they get wore down a bit, possibly sooner. I have already thought about the bra, but being second hand there already some chips, but i guess it will prevent more. You think the GT-R paint is bad you should have seen my 09 Toyota Tundra. Audio is the least of my worries, I prefer to hear everything going on. I actually am signing up for a school for the end of June, Evolution driving school . I'm no where new to Higher HP vehicles or AutoX but I for sure have a lot to learn. Never have been on a road course though...Mostly because 5 hours is the closest one. I have noticed the transmission Temps rise pretty quickly. over just about 4 miles of mountain roads today I was in the 235 degree range. Decided to park and take a few pictures.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Congrats on the car man! Looks like you were driving the pig trail right? With regards to tranny temps they do tend to rise very quickly when driving spiritedly on fun mountain roads, especially when ambient temps are in the 90+ range. They do tend to maintain themselves around the 215-230 range when driving the car very spiritedly on tight sections of road where you are constantly shifting up and or down, so its nothing to be worried about. One thing to note is you the fact that you may want to keep it under 248, as anything higher than that would require you to do a short interval transmission oil change.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Evolution driving school is excellent. You'll need a Snell rated helmet at least M2000 or later but for track use many will use Snell SA2000 or later as it is fire rated.

Evo School has many phases, the first (Phase 1) is mostly general car control, Phase 2 is intermediate auto crossing, then there are the more advanced courses which are all worth it to learn more. There is no way you can learn enough with each course which lasts a full day each. You soak in what you can and practice all day (24+ runs depending on the size of the class) and you will be tired at the end. If you do courses on back to back days you need to rest before and in between each course to be fresh for the next day. Our region has sponsored three days of Evo School. Instructors are first rate and very experienced. Do not be surprised how smoothly and fast they can drive your car to demonstrate how much the GTR can do. Many of the instructors have won national championships with SCCA in solo autocross or ProSolo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Evolution driving school is excellent. You'll need a Snell rated helmet at least M2000 or later but for track use many will use Snell SA2000 or later as it is fire rated.

Evo School has many phases, the first (Phase 1) is mostly general car control, Phase 2 is intermediate auto crossing, then there are the more advanced courses which are all worth it to learn more. There is no way you can learn enough with each course which lasts a full day each. You soak in what you can and practice all day (24+ runs depending on the size of the class) and you will be tired at the end. If you do courses on back to back days you need to rest before and in between each course to be fresh for the next day. Our region has sponsored three days of Evo School. Instructors are first rate and very experienced. Do not be surprised how smoothly and fast they can drive your car to demonstrate how much the GTR can do. Many of the instructors have won national championships with SCCA in solo autocross or ProSolo.
Good to hear that they are at least replicable. I have a few M2000's laying around. It is the Phase 1 course.

Congrats on the car man! Looks like you were driving the pig trail right?
Nah not that day, about a hour or so south of the pig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.