Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Slick Allstar
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone in the area or who wants to come down/up/over to join us, Chris Riggs (owner of Speed by Design) will be at Jacks Transmissions tomorrow for a quick tranny upgrade, leaving back to Oklahoma the same day.

We're going to lunch at Al Sushi, 3215 Cinema Point, Colorado Springs, at 1130am. Myself and Rob Brooks are confirmed, Jack and Kevin McGee will likely join us. Chris is buying haha!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Chris what time are you planning on heading home? I'm working in Pueblo tomorrow but was planning on heading to Jacks around 5.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sorry I couldn't make it to this. I really wanted to go, but knew Chris was on a time crunch and wanted to get his trans completed ASAP. We installed the GTC 18 plate unit and while I was in there, I took a very close look at the parts in the rest of his trans. Everything was in perfect condition and like new except for his OEM 4th gear. It is starting to look a little wiped out, so I recommended he go to our new gear-set ASAP next year. Chris explained to me how he can't believe the OEM gear is still going after all of the HWY pulls and 4th gear runs he has done. At his power range, and his abuse level on the street, I hope he pulls the trigger for the 2-6 gear-set soon. 1000+hp on the factory 2-6 just isn't something which will live long especially now that he has a clutch designed to hold all of that power.

Good to see you again Chris!

Jack

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Sorry I couldn't make it to this. I really wanted to go, but knew Chris was on a time crunch and wanted to get his trans completed ASAP. We installed the GTC 18 plate unit and while I was in there, I took a very close look at the parts in the rest of his trans. Everything was in perfect condition and like new except for his OEM 4th gear. It is starting to look a little wiped out, so I recommended he go to our new gear-set ASAP next year. Chris explained to me how he can't believe the OEM gear is still going after all of the HWY pulls and 4th gear runs he has done. At his power range, and his abuse level on the street, I hope he pulls the trigger for the 2-6 gear-set soon. 1000+hp on the factory 2-6 just isn't something which will live long especially now that he has a clutch designed to hold all of that power.

Good to see you again Chris!

Jack
What do you mean by "wiped out", just out of curiousity

·
Registered
821 Posts
You can see a slight smearing on the gear teeth due to the power being applied to the surface.

Here's a gear which has some of the smearing I am talking about. His looked a lot like that:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
You can see a slight smearing on the gear teeth due to the power being applied to the surface.

Here's a gear which has some of the smearing I am talking about. His looked a lot like that:
I'm guessing this eventually breaks the teeth ?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yes it usually means the gear is working serious over-time and will eventually fatigue and break.

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
No question it's going to need gears, but I'll wait until January for your gearset and put them to test...for our customers to see.
What did your other gears look like, specifically 6th

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.