Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Garage Queen
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Wanted to share one of my winter projects: The ACG Roll-Bar Installation.

My take on this product?? It's a 10 out of 10, for sure.
This unit is very robust and would certainly serve its' purpose in an accident.

Quality is top notch and the fitment was spot on.
It's very well integrated into the interior with nice welds and tight gaps.
It was quite time consuming to install, however, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The service & support from Tal @ ACG was superb as well.
I couldn't have completed this project w/out his advice - much thanks Tal!
I'm looking forward to working with ACG again in the future....

Enough out of me, so on with the pictures.
Give me a shout or post up if you have questions!

Cheers,
Chris

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
Thank you for the kind words, great review and the excellent pictures!

Glad I had the opportunity to help out with your GT-R!

Damn, that looks great!
weld in or bolt in?
It's a bolt in cage.

·
Garage Queen
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks LTHL VNM, & thanks again Tal!

·
ACG Automotive
372 Posts
Thank you very much for the great review Chris!

Great job as always Tal.

·
VR38 Killer
998 Posts
Very cool! I know you've been wanting a cage for a while.

~Dv8

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
Looks like you have to cut into the plastics to make it fit. (similar to the Cusco cage)
Very minor. If you pull the cage out and reinstall the back seats it covers up what you trimmed out, but still a little persuasion is needed with a dremmel ;)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
absolutely love mine. could not be happier with the fit/finish

being able to easily remove the cross bar to throw my 13 year old in the backseat is a huge plus for me

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
Sorry stupid question here. What does this type of cage protect? It doesn't go around the driver's body.
Rollover and body stiffness with a function/removable harness bar.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Ok got it. Rollover but not impact protection. If we want impact protection from front and side impacts as well as from the front roof caving in, what's needed?

Also are there standards that people follow, for example set by racing sanctioning bodies or safety organizations on the way it's constructed, built, and installed?

Sorry I'm not directing it at ACG I'm just trying to understand what goes into safety standards on aftermarket cages. I see those NASCAR crashes and drivers walking away - is that a testament to the safety inspections and standards, and do aftermarket tuner built cages meet those same standards?

·
VR38 Killer
998 Posts
I know mine is built to NHRA 5 pt spec. I think the Titan is FIA spec. Not sure about the rest.

~Dv8

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
Looks great CKP!

Ok got it. Rollover but not impact protection. If we want impact protection from front and side impacts as well as from the front roof caving in, what's needed?

Also are there standards that people follow, for example set by racing sanctioning bodies or safety organizations on the way it's constructed, built, and installed?

Sorry I'm not directing it at ACG I'm just trying to understand what goes into safety standards on aftermarket cages. I see those NASCAR crashes and drivers walking away - is that a testament to the safety inspections and standards, and do aftermarket tuner built cages meet those same standards?
Cage specifications will vary by sanctioning body. I had an NHRA 6 point that was NHRA certified to run as low as 10.0 or 135mph in the 1/4 mile. This 6 point also worked for most time trials events. However, it would not work for wheel to wheel racing. I now have a 8 point full cage that is NHRA certified to run as low as 8.5 (not sure about mph). This cage will also work for time trial but once again would not work for wheel to wheel racing. Most fabricators can build a cage to the specific class you are looking to compete in. Unfortunately most of the race organizations have slightly different cage requirements.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Looks great CKP!

Cage specifications will vary by sanctioning body. I had an NHRA 6 point that was NHRA certified to run as low as 10.0 or 135mph in the 1/4 mile. This 6 point also worked for most time trials events. However, it would not work for wheel to wheel racing. I now have a 8 point full cage that is NHRA certified to run as low as 8.5 (not sure about mph). This cage will also work for time trial but once again would not work for wheel to wheel racing. Most fabricators can build a cage to the specific class you are looking to compete in. Unfortunately most of the race organizations have slightly different cage requirements.
Thanks for that Jason. Now do these rules also specify the type of steel, the thickness of the steel, the diameter of the bar? Like how does the consumer know aftermarket cages will do its job on impact? Or is that all just standard stuff and the consumer doesn't have to worry about that stuff - all the consumer needs to do is pick the type of cage and the brand and get it installed.

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
Thanks for that Jason. Now do these rules also specify the type of steel, the thickness of the steel, the diameter of the bar? Like how does the consumer know aftermarket cages will do its job on impact? Or is that all just standard stuff and the consumer doesn't have to worry about that stuff - all the consumer needs to do is pick the type of cage and the brand and get it installed.
No problem. Yes, the rules for each organization will specify the type, thickness, diameter, number of bends, number of bars, weld in vs bolt in, etc. The consumer really doesn't know the quality of the cage unless it has been certified by the sanctioning body he/she is going to compete in. There are so many variables involved that it is hard to answer definitively unless I knew the specific cage and series the car was going to compete in. Even then there are no guarantees that the cage will protect you from every possible incident no matter how well built it is.

·
Garage Queen
328 Posts
Looks great CKP!

Thanks Jason....

Yeah there seems to be a lot of variables involved with "what is legal for what purpose" regarding roll-bars and/or cages.
I'm looking to get into drag strip runs this summer, so this should suffice great for that purpose!

-Chris

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
being able to easily remove the cross bar to throw my 13 year old in the backseat is a huge plus for me
You're kidding right?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Looks great except for the fact that the it doesn't allow back rest to fit very well :(

·
Garage Queen
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ Yeah like Tal mentioned, it's really not too noticeable.
I think the pictures kind of exaggerate the displacement of the seat.
In person it really looks well integrated and doesn't impact the seat-back that much.....

-Chris

1 - 20 of 40 Posts