Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to lower my premiums, but I had a minor violation in 2010 (which I thought was unfair and didn't deserve it) which raises my premium by $600 a year. So two part questions:

1) Is there a way to complain about the violation? I should have stood my ground and fought for the ticket. Got ticketed because they put up a new "no left turn" sign at a light and I didn't catch it that night, the cop was sitting at the corner waiting to prey.

2) What insurance company are you using for your GTR? How much (assuming you have the bare minimum coverage, with $1000 each deductible on comprehensive and collision)?

Thanks.

·
Pew Pew
659 Posts
If you fought the ticket and still got found guilty you are screwed. You're only hope is to hire a lawyer and even that may be far fetched after being convicted. Your only hope was to hire a lawyer beforehand. I'm surprised your premium went up by 600 for a no left turn. I had a ticket for going through a stop sign which got thrown out in court. DMV messed up the paperwork and it was still on my record. The reason is because I called to insure another car and my representative told me about it. She told me it was only effecting my premium on my GTR by $120 a year.

I'm 28 with no accidents and many past sports car without any claims. Average coverage with a 1000 deductible and I'm paying just under $1000 a year. My insurance is USAA (Military only). When I shopped around with Gieco, Progressive and State Farm, they quotes ranges from $3500-$4500.

You might have better luck finding a specialty/collectors insurance company like Riley, or American Auto Insurance (Based out of Jersey). They may or may not consider the GTR but I did it with my 97 Supra with a inspected value of $50,000 and was paying just under $600 a year with a 5k mile a year cap.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I guess I was stupid enough to accept the prosecutor's "deal" outside of the court room. At that time, he told me if I just admit guilty and paid the ticket, I wouldn't get points deducted off of my license, which was why I agreed to. I then later realized the cop didn't even show up for it, so I could have walked away. Paid a freaking $400 ticket and now realize I am paying an extra $600 per year for insurance.

What's worse is that on the record, it doesn't say "no left turn" as the violation. It said "unsafe driving".......now I am extremely pissed because of this. A ticket that I didn't even deserve to receive as there should have been a grace period whenever a new sign is put up. I tried to reason with the cop, but he told me "it was all over the newspaper".....really???? Newspaper report new road signs???

I guess I will try some other non major insurance company, but at the moment I am just extremely irritated. They did it to tax civilians money for the state.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Something is off here. What insurance company do you use? I had an at fault accident when I was 18 (ticket turned into unsafe driving), a speeding ticket (79 in a 65) when I was 19 (fought for unsafe driving), and then an 89 in a 65 when I was 21 (4 points) and never had my insurance go up once. Unsafe driving violations are no point violations and while still moving violations should not impact insurance rates. When I got my 89 in a 65 I took the points but was told that my insurance provider allowed you one speeding ticket prior to rates going up. This was with All State.

I'm in PA right now, 25, and am paying $150 a month for the GT-R. That is will a total loss accident on my M3 which bumped my rates from $115->$150. I'm currently with Geico. I would look into another insurance provider.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am with Geico right now, paying $200 a month with multi car discount. If I just have the GTR insured, it would cost another $15 per month.

The cheapest one I got quote so far is Progressive at $176 a month. I did a general quote prior to that (i.e. before giving them my driver license number), it was $126 a month. As soon as I finalize the quote and give them my license number, it went up to $176 and they said it was because of my violation for "unsafe driving".

It seems there is no consistency in these premiums. I am 29 turning 30 in a couple of months and married......and I am paying premiums that a typical early 20s single person would be paying....this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
State farm. 685 6 months only car on the policy. I do have another insurance policy on my business vehicles with them so they gave me a multiple car discount

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Around 650 for 6 months on Progressive. If anyone quotes you more than that, you're probably under 30 years old or have a history of tickets...
I only had a ticket as mentioned about. I am still very puzzled why my insurance premium is so damn high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.