Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on the AMS Alpha 6 (~$8k) vs. the Switzer (~$5k) Intro tuning package for a simple bolt on solution for taking a 2010 GTR past the 2012-2013 level of performance, with relatively little $$ compared to buying new??kage

Anyone compared these entry level tuning packages before. I guess to have a control, other factors on 2 GTRs would have to be equal (fuel, tires, weight, etc....) but it's an interesting thought. It would be like a "budget package shootout".

Also, i recommend to the guys at Switzer, to consider better marketing of their packages, like AMS does. The Alpha6, Alpha9, Alpha12.....etc... all sound very enticing, whereas the "intro tuning package" sounds very generic. Just a recommendation. It would help to BRAND each package with a title or identity......like the Alphas. Something like Switzer velocity 3, 6, 9, etc.... otherwise called V3, V6, V9, V12.

Thanks in advance!!

·
2,495 Posts
Also, i recommend to the guys at Switzer, to consider better marketing of their packages, like AMS does. The Alpha6, Alpha9, Alpha12.....etc... all sound very enticing, whereas the "intro tuning package" sounds very generic. Just a recommendation. It would help to BRAND each package with a title or identity......like the Alphas. Something like Switzer velocity 3, 6, 9, etc.... otherwise called V3, V6, V9, V12.

Thanks in advance!!
I think Switzer should do their own thing.. like they already do very well..

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
Any thoughts on the AMS Alpha 6 (~$8k) vs. the Switzer (~$5k) Intro tuning package for a simple bolt on solution for taking a 2010 GTR past the 2012-2013 level of performance, with relatively little $$ compared to buying new??kage

Anyone compared these entry level tuning packages before. I guess to have a control, other factors on 2 GTRs would have to be equal (fuel, tires, weight, etc....) but it's an interesting thought. It would be like a "budget package shootout".

Thanks in advance!!
I think many vendors on this forum can provide a very nice intro pkg. Take a look in the sponsor section of the forum. Many advertise the type of pkg you are interested in. Switzer does have many "brand pkgs" like the P600,P800,R900,R1K,R1KX,E1K, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
What's in a name? Nothing if the product is no good. Buy what works for you-ignore the fancy name thing

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Don't forget the eBay/China special intro package. You can get a very nice turbo back exhaust system along with a Cobb AP for under $3K. Saves you $2K and you also get the downpipes which I don't believe the Switzer package comes with.

·
Banned
279 Posts
how about you buy the gtr first then start making threads about modding ?
You sound like the main attraction at a 'Sausage Festival'.............. pretty sure i saw you in the Captain Morgan Commercial running the machine spitting out the wieners. The reason i'm researching this is deciding on new vs. used. Looks like used + mods is the cheaper and faster way to go.

Others, thank you for enlightening me on these facts. I had no idea how many companies engineered mods for the GTR. Amazing for such a low production car.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Our ALPHA packages are a bit of a template for our customers. For instance if you like we can do the ALPHA 6 sans rear exhaust to meet that $5K price point. Or I can custom tailor other parts in the package. It's your car and you should get out of it what YOU really want. I don't want you to think you are bound to our ALPHA packages and that's it.

Eric

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
Website is under construction, many errors on there. The ti-system is being phased out by our new SS system. We are also using the NIS-006 Cobb AP primarily which may phase out the NIS-005. The "Intro Tuning Package" is a label for what is essentially our P600 package, it just isn't listed as such on our website.

As mentioned above, our packages are prefixed with P, R, or E for pump gas, race gas, or ethanol, respectively - followed by the approximate power level at the crank. The only exception to this is our "-X" packages, which are built to spec to meet the goals our clients.

The P600 now consists of our complete premium 90mm stainless steel exhaust, NIS-006 Cobb AP, drop-in HKS filters, and our P600 road race calibration with map switching is $5990.

If you have any questions about the P600 or any of our other package available for the GTR you are welcome to contact me to discuss.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I have to agree with some of the comments about names...and even what tuning houses say are their final HP numbers.

I originally had a P600 - which according to research was the least powerful package out there. Despite this - I beat everything I raced, including other set ups that were supposed to be much more powerful than mine. In my opinion - it is all about the tune - HOW its tuned - not just the numbers.

Some videos for your viewing pleasure - please note I was running LC2 at 2200 RPM for a submaximal launch, on a full weight GTR with 3/4 full tank on a 94/104 mix (about 100 octane) on stock Bridgestones (I put more gas to weigh the car down a bit as I was spinning in 1st). My average 60 foot was 1.9x.

·
Banned
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lets say an individual has a 2010 GTR Premium they bought stock, used with about 20k miles, but i excellent condition. (No problems, not ragged out).

What would be a reasonable 1/4 mile time for said GTR with new tires and Alpha 6 package (or other vendor near equivalent)??

Has there ever been an apples to apples comparison between the bolt-on sub $10k packages? I would like to see the 1/4 mile runs of these cars. If any members have these mods (exhaust, tuning with Cobb, HKS filters), what are your better 1/4 mile times? Any vids would be bonus!

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can piece all the parts together to make your own pkg. Most of the important power gains are from the tuner anyway, so choose the best tuner, don't rely on 1 shop for the parts...basically get the parts as cheap as possible from ANY source.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You sound like the main attraction at a 'Sausage Festival'.............. pretty sure i saw you in the Captain Morgan Commercial running the machine spitting out the wieners. The reason i'm researching this is deciding on new vs. used. Looks like used + mods is the cheaper and faster way to go.

Others, thank you for enlightening me on these facts. I had no idea how many companies engineered mods for the GTR. Amazing for such a low production car.
Obviously you have not heard of the phrase "GT-R Tax", this explains it.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Lets say an individual has a 2010 GTR Premium they bought stock, used with about 20k miles, but i excellent condition. (No problems, not ragged out).

What would be a reasonable 1/4 mile time for said GTR with new tires and Alpha 6 package (or other vendor near equivalent)??

Has there ever been an apples to apples comparison between the bolt-on sub $10k packages? I would like to see the 1/4 mile runs of these cars. If any members have these mods (exhaust, tuning with Cobb, HKS filters), what are your better 1/4 mile times? Any vids would be bonus!
A basic ALPHA 6 package should net you 10.5-10.7 in the 1/4 with driver and track conditions playing a part in the final outcome. If you visit www.alphagtr.com we have videos embedded for each and every one of our packages

Eric

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.