Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a used 2016 GTR and I wanted a print out of all launch control records and to see if there was any track abuse. The nissan dealership has told me there is no launch control on a 2016 and the new GTRs wont allow it, is this true? I was under the impression all GTRs have launch control.

Can someone tell me what this print out entails with all its cautions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know for sure about the 2016's not having LC, although I have to think that is a bogus claim.

Regarding your printout, reference the following thread and my response - looks like the same Flickr readout:

http://www.gtrlife.c...__fromsearch__1
Interesting so I guess I need to find a key code for this gibberish. I called around to different techs and a couple say there is no launch control and a couple say they havent heard of any changes. Nissan Corporate has essentially told me the car has no launch control and if it did, they would not advise consumers to use it?? I think they missed the point of this car.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Also odd given the DBA (2012+) Nissan finally consented to the fact that it is LC. Previously they wouldnt admit to calling it that.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Interesting so I guess I need to find a key code for this gibberish. I called around to different techs and a couple say there is no launch control and a couple say they havent heard of any changes. Nissan Corporate has essentially told me the car has no launch control and if it did, they would not advise consumers to use it?? I think they missed the point of this car.
Technically, there is no launch control. Its called R mode start (or take off) . Semantics, but it could be confusing them. Its in the owners manual as well so it's definitely there in previous years. Call them back and ask them about the R mode start or R mode take off.

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
338 Posts
Of all the experiences I've had with dealers of high dollar cars, Nissan staff, by far, know the least about their product. Nissan does a terrible job of keeping them trained and up to date. Even the lead guy at Action Nissan here, supposedly the first place to sell the car and have dedicated staff, couldn't answer some questions I had about the mechanical intricacies.

Everything I know came from Gtr life and the manual.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Of all the experiences I've had with dealers of high dollar cars, Nissan staff, by far, know the least about their product. Nissan does a terrible job of keeping them trained and up to date. Even the lead guy at Action Nissan here, supposedly the first place to sell the car and have dedicated staff, couldn't answer some questions I had about the mechanical intricacies.

+1

I have only found (2) dealerships in the Chicagoland area that actually know these cars. And when I say dealership, I mean the GTR techs in the service department

·
Registered
115 Posts

this is not out of the ordinary or unexpected. when you go to the ford dealership to ask them about the carbon fiber frame or twin clutch auto on your ford GT, you will get tons of inexperience, dumbfounded looks, and overall stupidity. for every nissan GTR that rolls into the dealership for work, there are 1000 sentras, maximas, and whatever else nissan sells that come in for work. its all about familiarity.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a 2016 - new off the lot

it has what normal people would consider launch control. it is "R mode" as other talked. Stomp on brake and gas at the same time; let the brake off asap when you want to go fast. Spools turbos and you pull over 1 G taking off.

·
Registered
115 Posts

this is not out of the ordinary or unexpected. when you go to the ford dealership to ask them about the carbon fiber frame or twin clutch auto on your ford GT, you will get tons of inexperience, dumbfounded looks, and overall stupidity. for every nissan GTR that rolls into the dealership for work, there are 1000 sentras, maximas, and whatever else nissan sells that come in for work. its all about familiarity.

they only sell supercars at the ferrari dealership, so they are used to people who demand perfection, and may or may not know more than the tech working on it. the average soccer mom couldn't care less about whether or not they are using the correct amount of oil in her nissan pathfinder, so they are not up to date on the latest intricacies of the GTR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got some more info from the dealer, looks like it has never been launched. It did have a warning light for high oil temp. Why would a car with 1700 miles have all of those cautions in the Flickr report? And high oil temp warning in the logs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got some more info from the dealer, looks like it has never been launched. It did have a warning light for high oil temp. Why would a car with 1700 miles have all of those cautions in the Flickr report? And high oil temp warning in the logs?

Attachments

·
Founder/Admin
26,228 Posts
2012-2016 GTRs have LC under warranty but you wont see the # of times

there is an area in the consult reading called VDC OFF STALL START that was the old launch control. it only records when VDC is off like a 2009 GTR.. you can "launch" a 2012+ 100 times and that value will show 0

·
Registered
338 Posts

they only sell supercars at the ferrari dealership, so they are used to people who demand perfection, and may or may not know more than the tech working on it. the average soccer mom couldn't care less about whether or not they are using the correct amount of oil in her nissan pathfinder, so they are not up to date on the latest intricacies of the GTR
Fair to a degree. Only certain dealerships are GTR certified and they typically have 1 or 2 guys who sell the car and maintain the car. Nissan could easily disseminate information to keep them knowledgeable but they do not. It's a corporate failure when there are widespread intellectual deficiencies. And Action Nissan claims to be the dealership first to carry, sell and take care of the GTR stateside. If you're going to boast that you're the best, you better back it up. I have some of the corporate guys as my patients. Next time one comes in I'll talk to him about how poorly trained their premier staff are.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Oh yeah! Would have done this a long time ago. Turn the cliche to you advantage. Sure you get the constant pestering about others' ailments off the clock since you're a doc - time to apply that to Nissan white collars you deal with.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts

Its like that many places. Had Nissan had a dedicated place with a track and a place to woo potential buyers and really up the grade against its competition with a proper trained staff. IT could work but nay sayers and gilly will say it wont work. Keep throwing money at a broken system it will fix it self.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Fair to a degree. Only certain dealerships are GTR certified and they typically have 1 or 2 guys who sell the car and maintain the car. Nissan could easily disseminate information to keep them knowledgeable but they do not. It's a corporate failure when there are widespread intellectual deficiencies. And Action Nissan claims to be the dealership first to carry, sell and take care of the GTR stateside. If you're going to boast that you're the best, you better back it up. I have some of the corporate guys as my patients. Next time one comes in I'll talk to him about how poorly trained their premier staff are.
I agree. Especially since the GTR was supposedly the car that brought Nissan back from the brink of collapse in 2007 (watch the National Geographic Supercar episode on the GTR on youtube).

In my opinion, there's no good reason why the tech's are morons aside from POSSIBLY the fact that they don't get much wrench-time on these cars due to the exclusivity. I can tell you that I have one of two GTR's in my area, so the tech hardly EVER sees one in the shop. It's a good thing these cars are relatively reliable, and handle a good amount of abuse, or else Nissan would've had a huge problem on their hands with the release of it however many years ago it was.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts