Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to retain my 2009 LC2 VDC on warranty, by NOT using Launch Control with VDC Off.

Of course, that turns most launches to CRAP by VDC kicking in and ruining the pass, so one gets frustrated and wants to use VDC Off, but the "agreement" on LC2 was you could Launch WITH warranty as long as you didn't turn VDC OFF.

SO: Is there a Computer/TCM/COBB mod that changes VDC ON BEHAVIOR to a much higher slip-allowed threshold, or negates it, on Launches...so we can "have our cake and eat it too"--
USE LC, with VDC "ON", but ACT like VDC OFF while NEVER ticking Black Box that VDC OFF launch was done?... and be RE-FLASHABLE back to "stock" so if going in for service, it is "undiscoverable" because VDC OFF LC never really happened?

It is insanely frustrating to go to dragstrip, wait an hour or more for a run, have it ruined by VDC kicking in, wait...ruined VDC pass...wait...while Porsche Turbos can "LC all day long" and even 2012 GTR's have a super launch figured out.

Thanks to Joe, Thistle, and whomever can do THIS
, please post up!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, FLASHES are discoverable and remembered...but not all "flashes" are "HE HAS DONE VDC OFF LAUNCHES".

"VDC OFF Launches" are the most significant drivetrain/transaxle warranty buster...doing simple engine management reflashes for HP is different than VDC OFF LAUNCHES, which is a specific and worst situation the black box records.

Simple reflashes have many documented instances of Nissan covering repairs under warranty.
"VDC OFF LAUNCHES" is much different, and ticking THAT box in the Black Box is the worst!

The point is, can a reflash make VDC ON ACT like VDC OFF...so all launches will NEVER tick "VDC OFF LAUNCH" in the Black Box?

If it's too hard to do, I understand...but "Too Hard" is different from "Not Possible" or "Not Interested In Trying" or "Possible, But I'm Too Busy To DO it!".
If it's possible but too busy or not interested, maybe others COULD do this...or "We don't know enough to do this"...would be helpful and an answer.

If a few people no longer care about their warranty integrity, or always have the megadollars for new tranny/parts forever...that doesn't include the majority of us, I suspect...who DO like to TRY to maintain the warranty to the best of our (reasonable) ability.
We reflash back to stock when going to dealer for service. Is reflashing discoverable if they totally drop the computer black box and ship it back to Japan? I guess so...but...

It's like slowing down for the cops...who DOESN'T slow down when you see one, or use a radar detector (or laser jammer)?
Would you just say "Be honest about it, KEEP SPEEDING RIGHT PAST THE COP because to do otherwise is Dishonest about what you're REALLY ABOUT, just pay the tickets and take ALL your lumps, because if you can afford the car you can afford ALL the tickets and lawyers".
ROFL
in good cheer!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
unless your running a cobb or power upgrade, vdc on should be fine for launching. If you are already running a cobb tune, then the warranty can be voided anyway

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The only thing I can think of would be something like the Whiteline Black box which is a plug in device which recalibrates sensor inputs to ABS modules. I think they made it for the 350Z, depends how similar the module is in the GTR. It would surely need more development and I haven't heard about anything like it for the GTR.

I know of no feasible way yet to have your cake and eat it, and am no aware of any plans for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You, Thistle (and Joe).
If you do not know a way to do it with your knowledge of the situation, then maybe it cannot be done.
I suppose the Whiteline people would know best about their situation being extrapolated somehow to the GTR...
Oh well, it was worth asking about

I have found that my car launches far better just flooring the throttle than using the ridiculous slow LC2 anyway.
Someday I will have to get the Cobb adjustable rpm launch situation, if I want to go down that "VDC OFF Launch, LC2 Warranty Now Surely Gone" pathway.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yes, FLASHES are discoverable and remembered...but not all "flashes" are "HE HAS DONE VDC OFF LAUNCHES".

"VDC OFF Launches" are the most significant drivetrain/transaxle warranty buster...doing simple engine management reflashes for HP is different than VDC OFF LAUNCHES, which is a specific and worst situation the black box records.

Simple reflashes have many documented instances of Nissan covering repairs under warranty.
"VDC OFF LAUNCHES" is much different, and ticking THAT box in the Black Box is the worst!
I disagree .... There is a switch in my car, that Nissan built and programmed. It is called VDC, and it has a toggle position for OFF.

If I push that switch down, my drivetrain warranty is voided? Really? Seriously doubt that ...

Now if I buy an aftermarket device, that hacks into the vehicles ecu and changes the tuning parameters of the ECU and TCM, don't you think that would have a greater effect on the warranty?

Nissan has warrantied tranny's for known weak points (Clips, solenoids) on cars that have been tuned, which is great. So it's not an automatic bye bye power train warranty if you tune, but imho, it entails greater risk that pushing that little button ..

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe someone is working with LC3 to allow launches with more slip. LC3 allows for multiple launches with no problems, but I've noticed the VDC does kick in really early.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts