Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well done Sean!

Send some data my way and I'll let you know where you can make improvements!

I'd say people want to get a base line for the speed of the car so they can compare the Motec ECU to something that's well known. Say if you end up going 0.2 faster than when it had Cobb on it and nothing else changed, it semi proves the ECU is capable of improving an already fast car. There are lots of factors though so if you can go considerably faster that will be great

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very true, but some people may see it as a $1500 Cobb is capable of keeping up with a $5000+ ecu.
I'm not hating. Just putting out there is always another way to see it too. I have an M800 in my Supra so I know MoTeC does great stuff.

Keep up the good work guys!

Good Job!
I see your point, but when you're at the pointy end of the field a couple of grand is not much to spend to shave off a tenth or two! Plus, the quality of the Motec data logging is worth it alone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
AWD motorsports the R and D has been done 1 year ago, MoTeC don't release anything unless its perfect .Dodson motorsport has been using it in there race car(tarmac rally) and has been doing most the testing in real world race conditions for motec I believe ,motec also have there gtr that they tested the hell out of before release ,I also have been testing the motec for around 9 months ago on my own GTR 1000+hp ..The product is perfect you wont do any damage to clutches,engines or anything if you know what you doing , and I know Sean knows what he,s doing
Thanks Mario, I couldn't have said it better myself!
I'm seeing higher and higher power figures but everything keeps working as expected, no surprises! We have found a couple of minor faults that effect drivability in rare cases and these have been fixed as well as lots of new features in the current beta version.
What might be concidered R&D is individual tuners learning how everything in the ECU works. Sean and Mario are well on top of it, and using the version exactly as it was the day it was released earlier this year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Robbie,

Glad you like the Motec ECU!
If you're hitting 920Nm the 'Transmission Torque Limit Ignore' setting is correct.
You can check out the channel 'Transmission Torque Limit Throttle' in the logging (if it's setup to log). When you're at full throttle the TCM attempts to limit the maximum torque of the engine and the amount it tries to limit it to is a constant value. The value is dependant on the TCM program age (or year model of the car) and could be 600Nm, 630Nm, 680Nm etc. By setting the 'Transmission Torque Limit Ignore' parameter to the same value as the TCM requests, the ECU ignores this torque limit.
We could have just ignored this request from the TCM completely, but at other times (not full throttle), obeying the TCM torque limit actually improves drivability so we use the 'Ignore' method to conditionally ignore it when we don't want it.

On the Gear based boost limit, the torque limiting system via throttle is a better method of reducing torque than boost limiting, so we do not intend to add a gear based boost limit at this time. There is a Gear torque limit. I'll explain the major advantage of using a torque limit over a boost limit.

With a boost limit based on gear, the turbos only provide just enough boost to for the torque required so when you shift into the next gear and the boost aim is raised you have to wait for the turbos to spool up causing lag in response. When using a torque limit, the manifold pressure required to produce the limited torque is known. The Boost limit is set to the 'Inlet Manifold Pressure Limit' + 'Torque Limit Boost Pressure Margin' so that the turbos provide more boost than required and the throttles close to regulate the inlet manifold pressure to the limit. Because there is additional boost pressure backed up behind the throttles, when the next gear is selected and higher torque limit set, the throttles open allowing the built up boost through giving you almost instant response (no turbo lag).

It's a new way of thinking compared to traditional torque control methods like boost aim comps so it can take the tuners some getting used to. But if you really want a gear based boost limit the 'Torque Limit Boost Pressure Margin' can be set to '0' and this means the boost control only provides just enough boost to make the torque you have set in the Gear Torque Limit. Normally the boost pressure margin would be set to at least 20kPa so it only provides a small amount of extra boost and doesn't work the turbos too hard, but you can set it to say 50kPa or 80kPa depending on how much the torque is increased on gear shift, and have no lag on a step increase of torque.

Hope that helps, and if you have any more questions about the Motec ECU feel free to ask me directly.

Cheers,
Darren.

1 - 5 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.