Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slick Allstar
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took some time after work yesterday to stop by Jack's Transmissions in Colorado Springs. I've heard some very positive reviews and experiences from a couple of our local Colorado members so I wanted to go see the operation for myself.

Frankly from the outside it doesn't look like much, it's a fairly small building with a gravel lot behind a 7/11 in an industrial area of town. I knew I was in the right place because the building was surrounded by DSMs and a couple other AWD vehicles. When I walked in I was greeted by Tim and I told him I was in the area and just wanted to see the shop. He took me to the back and introduced me to Jack and for no less than the next two hours Jack walked me through their entire operation and showed me hands on the parts of our transmission that are the most common failure points for big hp/tq builds. He explained how they have found ways to address these failures as well as provide options for preventive so...lutions to mitigate catastrophic failures after a build. He also showed me some of the solutions they have found to be effective at both addressing these issues, while also keeping excessive cost to the customer down, which is why many of their build package options come in at a more cost effective rate then some other builders. Some of the techniques were really quite simple, even for a non-tranny educated guy like me. Of course for the really high hp/tq cars they had the same big name products like PPG gears that also carry a big $$ premium, but if you want to play with the big boys you have to pay the price!

It was very apparent to me that Jack is intimately familiar with the GR6 and has many many hours with hands on work. He's the only one that works on the GT-R projects. I really appreciated him taking time out of his day to show me the inner workings of his business. He strikes me as a very humble and genuine guy who takes a great deal of pride in his business and their services and products. If you're in the area I encourage any of you who are considering getting some tranny work done to pay a visit to Jack's and see for yourself if Jack's will work for you. Even if you're out of state, I'd highly recommend paying a personal visit to this business or any other business for that matter that you plan on working with for a major project. Knew where your hard-earned $$ is going and who it's going too!

For those of you in the area keep an eye out for an upcoming gathering with Jack, likely in the Denver area or potentially at Boulder Nissan where he will bring GR6 tranny parts and show us firsthand how our trannies work and what things they do to address failure points. A post should be made in the GT-R Life Rocky Mountain forum once we have the details.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Combat vehicle

Attachments

·
Slick Allstar
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool. I would like to see what he charges for some of his packages as he is only about 4hrs from me.
He does have some package deals listed on his website, but what I discovered in talking with him is they are able to accommodate "custom" packages based on the needs and requirements of the customer's goals. Additionally, he made mention of some pending changes to the "off the shelf" packages they currently advertise on the website, stating that with the recent changes in available products they have more options to offer. My recommendation is to just call him and determine whether or not his service and product offerings work for your build. Good luck!

·
Banned
616 Posts
Great write up Nico!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been dealing with Jack since the 90's. Great guy and great service and if its not right, he will fix it! He has done a couple of my shops supra transmission builds along with e60 diff swaps and some other odd ball stuff I like to throw his way.
Will work with him when I go to the power levels this winter on my personal car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wow! This was a bit of a surprise and thanks for this review! We take very good care of our local customers here in Colorado. If anyone would like to stop by and have me show them the GR6, I would love to do that any time!

We purchased our building a little over 3 years ago. We have been working on the inside of the building for the past 3 years to make it clean and efficient. Next year I hope to focus my attention to the outside of the building. My building will fool you. Looks a bit old and beat up on the outside, but the inside is a totally different story. My employees say I should leave it that way as anyone who is not a car enthusiast would have no clue what goes on inside, but it would be nice to have a pristine exterior and lot.

Hipresr- If you need anything at all, please feel free to stop by at any time. I have many GR6 units torn-down here and can show you how everything works and the weak links. We have found cost effective and simple solutions to the common issues and you would be surprised at how simple it really is when you can see the parts in person. We have units getting complete new gear-sets to just reliability upgrades and also have an engine here receiving the piston and rod combo if you want to see how that's like

Thanks again all! Everyone at Jacks Trans is totally excited to help anyone here as much as possible with any issue whether it's for a part or a complete service.

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.