Nissan GT-R Forum banner

JRZ Triples - Am I in over my head :-)

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ToastZ 
#1 ·
Well, I bit the bullet big time (started out looking at a sleeve kit and ended up with JRZ Triple Adjustables) with the remote cables from AMS. I am thankful for all the advice all the vendors on the forum gave me (particularly Ryan at Forged) and I felt bad to not buy from them but it was one of those circumstances where I was in the right place at the right time and AMS had a new set that was installed but never run so they were literally brand new. I just couldn't pass up the deal on this new, "used" set. I am however thinking I may have gone to the other extreme and bought too much coilover (if there is such a thing) and trying to figure out what to do next. Since it is going to be a long winter in Michigan, I figured I would try to educate myself before these bad boys get installed. A few questions:
  1. Any resources I can read up on, on all the terminology of these bad boys
  2. They came with the remote adjustments (the one with the cables vs. the direct mount adjustments) so I can mount wherever I want and looking for suggestions or picture of other installs people have done (ie where to put the remotes), I like the concept of not having to get on my back to adjust.
  3. They have 1200f/1000r lb springs standard with them but AMS is willing to swap out for whatever weight I want for no additional cost (they keep the 1200/1000's) ... I was going to go with 750f/600r eibachs or hypercoils. Would be interested in comments here also (ie pounds, sizes, length etc)
  4. Ride height with my Toyo R888's would be interested in lowering recommondations. I think ¾" is probably about right so no rubbing.
  5. Here are my assumptions:
    • I have about 20 track days under my belt and have become pretty addicted.
    • I still daily drive the car on nice days to the office during the spring, summer and fall and roads are good (mostly highway)
    • I will be running these two tracks mainly (by my house), we are working on an annual membership deal which will give me about 20 days next summer (15 full and 10 half)
    • Also right now I am running about 625hp on my GTR, it is a 10.7 second car on the drag strip at high boost and I typically run medium boost at the road course so I will max at 148-150 at Grattan and 135-138 or so at Gingerman.. My best on stock suspension at Grattan has been 1:31.1 Grattan features include a 3,200 foot straightaway, a 160 degree hairpin turn and a downhill reverse camber turn and Gingerman Raceway, My best right now on stock suspension is 1:41.0, gingerman is an easier layout.

Sorry for the long question, but I couldn't find a good "sticky" on suspension, particularly the triples and I'm one of those guys who likes to know a lot about what he has :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My wheels and offsets

Attachments

#3 ·
Anyone, have pics of an install?

#4 ·
You for sure jumped into the deep end of the pool on the shocks. They are a great investment, but usually require someone with a pretty vast knowledge of suspension tuning to help set them up to your liking.

I would be happy to help if you wanted to shoot me an email. I personally wouldn't go that light on the springs if you are running R-Comps on track..you are going to need more support than that.

Getting the car on track with someone to help you that knows how to turn knobs and set ride height would be worth TONS of time and driving confidence on that setup.

~Cicio

#9 ·
Adjusted properly, a good coil over set is a wonder. Adjusted improperly, a waste. Get somebody who has done them before, and go for it.

Shawn
I very seriously considered the JRZ's. But I have no clue as to how to dial in a set of coil overs. Further, I don't really think I know anyone locally who would be able to help me out with this. For those reasons, I just went with the KW sleeve kit, which made a significant improvement. Although I'm sure the improvement is no where near that seen with a set of PROPERLY dialed in JRZ's.

Keep us posted with your impressions after they are dialed in!

#6 ·
Ok, have now settled on a set of 750/600 springs after much thought and discussion the 750/600's are proven by many and, I think they will fit my needs next season and over time the next stop will be 1000/800 if I decide to dedicate the car to the track. Would love the 1000/800's but just afraid they will be too harsh as I am just not ready to dedicate to the track only yet :) Bryan at JRZ has been a great help as has Ryan at Forged. I am feeling good about where things are headed. Now next step is the install. Bryan recommended the remote canisters in the front by the lights and slip through the rear panel with the seats removed in the trunk area as mounting possibilities. These would give easy access through the rear trunk and the front hood. Anyone ever done something like that? Interested in pics.

As an aside I of course asked the question of why not go with 900/700 and split the difference. Unfortunately they are not proven on the GTR and going to go with the proven pound rates. As an aside for those looking for springs they are 2.25 inside diameter and 8" long.

#7 ·
I think you will be happy with your selection Steve. Sometimes you have to get creative with the remote canister installs. Let us know if we can help any further once you start the install.

I'm interested to see how much your lap times fall

#8 ·
You are not going to believe how stable and fast the car will be on the road course with these installed. However get them professionally installed/dialed in by an outfit who have loads of experience in installing them. Forged comes first to mind. The car is transformed handling wise with these, and besides your lap times falling dramatically, your confidence in placing the car and what it's limits are are greatly expanded.
Bish

#10 ·
Bryan at JRZ has been great to work with. Wish Forged was closer (I'm in western michigan), but they definitely know there stuff (Ryan was great). I hear there is no comparison between the sleeves and the actual coilovers but you are right on re: the dial in. I have a local shop that manages a lot of race cars that I am talking with and the head guy used to run a racing team. After the holidays, I will be speaking with them about their knowledgebase. Will keep you posted.

#11 ·
Ship the car to forged during the off season
) Get their sway bars with the coilovers and talk to them about your camber settings up front.

They have done a lot of these, mine included - and each one sets up a bit different depending upon your skill level and other mods on the car.

I have continued to tweak on my setup with help from the forged folks and the lap times continue to fall. You will gain a lot of confidence with the car on track with the correct setup, but it comes with experience at how to go about doing the tweaks each time you change something.

Good luck, coil overs and sway bars were by far my best modification choice in 2011 !!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.