Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I may be getting stationed there towards the beginning of next year, and I pondered selling the GTR due to the close proximity of the ocean to virtually anywhere on the island (Honolulu). I didn't expect to see this many GTR owners there. I'm guessing the salty air doesn't tear the car up? What is your experience with it?

I'd like any advice you are willing to give on this topic, as well as anything else that I should take into consideration prior to potentially shipping my car over there. I obviously love the car, but won't bring it if I "shouldn't".

Thanks!

·
R35 Member
287 Posts
It all depends where you live, its the exposure of direct salt air near you ocean is where you want to worry about.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It all depends where you live, its the exposure of direct salt air near you ocean is where you want to worry about.
Yup. I'd be concerned if you live on the Windward side by the water. In this case you'll be getting a nice onshore breeze for most of the time.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
You'll see more salt driving in Denver (winter) than in Honolulu.

Oahu is 40 miles wide in nearly all directions but there is only one road connecting north to south shores, otherwise there are coastal roads that are slow and often congested with traffic especially from tourists or commuters.

Salt is a factor if you live on or across the beach. The Eastern facing shoreline catches the prevalent wind most of the time so that makes it a little rougher. Anything on the south in Honolulu or in central Oahu out to the southwest is fine, just rains on and off.

If you park in a closed garage and wash your car weekly you should be fine.

There is no reason not to bring your GTR but the speed limits are insanely low.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info, thanks a bunch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts