Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dyno'd my new 2020 Track Edition. This is the variant (1 of 26) that Nissan made using the 2020 Nismo engine w/GT3 turbos. I dyno'd it to get a baseline before the build, just like the weigh-in thread I posted about a month ago. I'll start a build thread here shortly documenting everything. This project is all about response, low weight, more grip and a moderate 700whp-ish on 93 with the stock GT3 turbos. It's going to spend 95% of its odometer in the TN, NC & GA mountains.

Two months ago when I traded in my stock 2017 for this new 2020 TE, I drove them back to back. The TE was substantially faster. My Premium was 565BHP and the TE is 600BHP, but it felt way faster than 35hp faster... Even the GF was shocked how much faster it was. So I decided to see what it puts down stock.

Went yesterday to Cicio Performance and man was I impressed by that shop and their team. Like thoroughly impressed. I can't say enough good things about them. I've done business with them in 2013 when I had them tune my supercharged 445whp S2000CR (man I should never of sold that car...) and I had a fantastic experience with them then. That was when they were called TopSpeed. 9 years later and they are on an even higher league. Super cool staff, and I've never seen a shop run so professionally in my life. I understand now why they are one of the most reputable GTR shops in the nation. I'm lucky enough to live 8 miles away. Excited to work with them on building this new TE.

So my previous 2017 puts down a stock 470-480whp, which is a respectable 15% drivetrain loss from an AWD car. Since it uses the same drivetrain as the TE, the "600hp" Nissan claims should then put down 510whp using the same math. Still does not answer why the car felt substantially faster than 35hp faster. So I assumed the CCBs being drastically lighter, would reduce the drivetrain loss and produce a higher number to the ground (10whp? 20whp?). So I guessed it would put down 520-530whp. A handful of others guessed at the shop, and I would say the average of all the guesses was around 535whp...

We put it on the rollers and did a first heat soaked pull, then let it cool for 10min and did two consecutive pulls. Results?..... FIVE HUNDRED AND SIXTY SEVEN WHEEL HORESPOWER. 567 Brah!! Thats like 650+BHP assuming a 15% drivetrain loss. It does make "seat of the pants" sense being 85hp more than the premium because the difference when I drove them back to back was not a 35hp difference. Nowhere near it.

Anyways, I thought I'd share the baseline dyno. It certainly surprised me. Now I just need to add another 150whp and I'll be good.

Just finished a video of the pulls an hour ago. Its the very first video I've ever edited, so let me know if you're impressed with my FX skills.

-Snail

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Grille

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Grille

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Desktop computer

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
142 Posts
Good numbers man... Good luck with the build. Post it up as it progresses.

Reactions: TheSnail

·
Registered
2015 White on Black Premium: 1436whp/1054wtq on E90, built by Cicio North
689 Posts
Really nice write up. It's posts like this that this forum has fallen off on in recent years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you gentlemen! I'm supper excited about this build. I'll start the build thread this weekend. The project name for this car is Mountainous Featherpig, to reflect the mountain car set-up with sensible weight reduction and moderate and instantaneous/responsive hp. I agree with Dynojets being on the higher end of readings rather than a heartbreaker mustang dyno. In the grand scheme of things, this car will always be dynod/tuned at Cicio, so its good to have a baseline done at the dyno/shop I plan to use in the future. What do you guys think of my special FX skills in the video? Do you think I should keep them or leave them out in following videos?

-Snail

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
Fun stuff, thanks for sharing and congrats. I think your 15% number is what’s throwing things off though.

It’s been largely accepted that 8-10% is more the target for drivetrain loss with the R35 and probably the lower end with the CCB.

Easiest way to verify is run a 1/4 mile and get the trap speed.

Regardless solid numbers sounds like a fun build.

And FWIW I’ve never heard the south shop referred to as having a happy dyno ;) North shop runs a little lower, but as long as you stay on that dyno, who cares.

Reactions: Wicked and TheSnail

·
Super Moderator
9,224 Posts
Fun stuff, thanks for sharing and congrats. I think your 15% number is what’s throwing things off though.

It’s been largely accepted that 8-10% is more the target for drivetrain loss with the R35 and probably the lower end with the CCB.

Regardless solid numbers sounds like a fun build.

And FWIW I’ve never heard the south shop referred to as having a happy dyno ;) North shop runs a little lower, but as long as you stay on that dyno, who cares.
Easiest way is a dragy 60-130 pull lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful example of a dying breed. I wouldn't mess with it much. Just keep it as mint as possible. Someday this car will be on barrett jackson as a super rare example of a dinosaur long extinct.
Thank you kind Sir! I agree, I am going to keep all the original parts and just get a few select highly visible parts like Forgeline GS1R's in flat gold, Akrapovic Evo, Sparco Carbon buckets in black leather with red stitching, ETS street FMIC. I'll put all the factory components in storage, in the case I want to return everything back to original one day.

I was just talking to guy at Cicio Performance in charge of Media & Photography this morning. I'd was discussing getting some sweet pics in the mountains when I get those flat gold GS1Rs. But I got to thinking and mentioned it might be cool to get some shots of everything original, since it is a silly rare configuration. Like pics of it in the wild, as Nissan intended. Almost like a poster or model car box image. I think it would be cool to see in 10-20yrs when finding an OEM one, especially this config, would be next to impossible

·
Founder/Admin
26,577 Posts
agreed on both points. the R35 drivetrain is a bit more effecient that that 15% standard.

im thinking this should be 128mph for a perfect stock NISMO engine trap

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
agreed on both points. the R35 drivetrain is a bit more effecient that that 15% standard.

im thinking this should be 128mph for a perfect stock NISMO engine trap
What is the top speed of a Nismo? For the 2020 Nismo, I'm seeing quotes of 198 and 205. Is it gear limited or drag limited? What would be your estimate for a stock 2020 TE? My GF's sister's kid want's to know.

·
Founder/Admin
26,577 Posts
What is the top speed of a Nismo? For the 2020 Nismo, I'm seeing quotes of 198 and 205. Is it gear limited or drag limited? What would be your estimate for a stock 2020 TE? My GF's sister's kid want's to know.
yeah around 198 its gear limited as this guy is right at redline at 320kmph ( 7:08 in the video) his GPS was a little lower

I swear I remember nissan initially quoting 196 so somewhere in there. ive never been over 165 in mine on a runway:LOL:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah around 198 its gear limited as this guy is right at redline at 320kmph ( 7:08 in the video) his GPS was a little lower

I swear I remember nissan initially quoting 196 so somewhere in there. ive never been over 165 in mine on a runway:LOL:

Awesome, thanks! I thought I read on here that it was gear limited. There was a video on here of someone with a modified GTR videoing a 200+ mph run. The comments in the thread pointed out that the OP raised his rev limiter to 7300ish. The commenters in the thread said he would not of been able hit 200+ otherwise. The fastest I've been was 174 in my 2017 premium. The fastest I've ever been was 192 on my BMW S1000RR and that was crazy. Tunnel vision and blurry from all the vibration.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bit off topic, but I just ordered (at 2am) a set of Sparco QRT-C Carbon buckets for the Mountainous Featherpig. Carbon with black leather and red stitch. This TE comes with black leather with red stitching so these were on my radar for months. Excited to get them on order. As part of the project philosophy, I will get it to 369X LBS with a full tank, by means that look "clean", as if it was a factory option. (so no gutting the trunk etc).

These carbon seats in cloth weight 12.5lbs each. I reached out to Sparco for the leather variant seat weights since they are not listed anywhere. They are a painful 5lb penalty at 17lbs... But as part of the project philosophy, I can't run the cloth ones as they look too aftermarket. Especially since they are stitched "QRT-C" on the front of the cloth ones. Either way, according to my calculations they should take out about 48lbs (for the pair) including Sparco rails, sliders and Planted bases.

I'll start the build thread in the next few days (Aiming for Sunday) so that I can documented everything from stock to finished.

-Snail

Gesture Font Screenshot Comfort Human leg

Rectangle Font Number Circle Parallel

1 - 20 of 35 Posts