Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So awoke this morning to find an email from Ben from GTC saying that ALPHA firmware for the Cobb AP is now available, with such firmware allowing for LC1 - LC3 cars to upgrade to settings known as LC4 - those found in the 2012 (USDM) GTR. So being a Saturday I thought alright lets do this and see. Here is my feedback.

Firstly you'll need to copy an alternative support address int he options field in AP Manager in order to allow the AP Manager Firmware updater to look at a different URL to find the new firmware. Did this and connected AP. Did the update, about 23MB's or so and loaded the AP. It gets interesting here as nothing visibly appears in the AP, nor AP Manager, The next task is to do a full uninstall and then reinstall of the AP in the car.

I did the full uninstall (this takes quite some time and it runs the TCM first then ECU) then started the reinstall. It loads the ECU map firstly. I did select to save the factory settings, even though I had done this before I thought it best to do it again to be safe. Be careful - I did get a low battery warning during all of this as the entire process does take some time. Having loaded the ECU I then came to the TCM selections. Interesting. You may now select to load anything of Launch Control 1 through 4. I didn't see here if the previous Cobb canned Stock, Stage 1 or 2 maps were present, although from loose memory I don't remember seeing them. I selected LC4 and it then asked to confirm the code for the car TCM (this was 'KBxxx' for USDM 2009). After this confirmation it then gave me the option to select the map. Interestingly here it only highlighted and made available the choice of Stock Style....

So after doing this load (nervously as I had the battery warning light at this stage) it was already and loaded.

Immediately given the car was cold I drove around my area in Auto, 3 switches at normal settings. The shifting seems better, smooth and refined, when you stab the gas a little it only drops one gear now, not the 2 that used to occur. However this is only loose, as the temps were low I didn't hit WOT to fully check if it drops the 2 gears as before. I have noticed now that the creep with 0% brake is back, this was at +2 Odd and Even CC's, 0 Odd and Even TP's. Once I got to Engine Oil above 80 and trans above 75 I stop and switched to manual. The shifting seemed the same to me in manual. I waited until trans temps reached +80 (all temps in celsius btw) and attempted first launch. Settings were R-R-R. Launch was pretty disappointing. Rev's initially failed to reach 2k rpms, try a double pump and I got it to 2.5k. Launched. First impressions were no wheel-spin, but the car definitely did not bolt out the gate so to speak. Second launch, same settings. The car rose to 2.2k, launched, and this was even less impressive than the first launch.

After these two launches I drove for a little bit more and let the temps get back to the low 90's. I then attempted a launch with VDC off. This time the rev's did rise straight to 2.5k and with a double pump I got to 3k. However the launch still wasn't that great. It was definitely better than the launch with VDC to R, and there was no noticeable wheel-spin either. My next launch was again hampered but the car failing to reach anything substantial in the rev range, 2k, 2.2k and 2.6 or so. After these I got the clutch temp warnings in the display so cooled it down for the next 10 minutes with low speed, 6th gear cruising.

For reference I'm coming from running the Cobb canned Stage 1 TCM map, which launched quite well, but with the typical wheel-spin in VDC Off. Whilst I do not launch the car often - today was absolutely the most amount of times in one drive I have ever launched, I am undecided as whether the new shifting quality is a better trade off than having the better launch (even though rarely used, its good knowing its there). I certainly do not consider my testing exhaustive, nor final - I will test again next weekend to see if it was the day and conditions before ruling it out. However thought it would be good to start a thread on this and get others to start adding their feedback in due course.

Good luck to those who will be doing the update soon, and well done to Cobb for progressing the AP development to this stage.

DD.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Beware of the low battery warning as your TCM can go into safe mode and will need to be bench flashed, it happened to me once

I hope the glitch is figured out soon, I bet you were excited at first then you got a little confused

Thanks for the write up Dan

·
Registered
371 Posts
Beware of the low battery warning as your TCM can go into safe mode and will need to be bench flashed, it happened to me once

I hope the glitch is figured out soon, I bet you were excited at first then you got a little confused

Thanks for the write up Dan
Hi Mo,

Yep was like yes! LC4!

You are right, and it was risky doing it, was biting the fingers whilst it was doing the load on the TCM and every time the was a loud noise outside during it I lost hearing the high pitch noise the TCM makes during the flash and I was like oh NO!

Let's see where they go with this one.

Are you going to do the update?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Ben just emailed me to say the launch was low. Mine is on a completely stock car which may or may not make a difference, but I only get 1500 RPM with VDC off or before it is warmed up. Also touch points and capacity may make a difference. However, when warm I get 4000 + RPM. Hopefully something simple to fix as I flashed with the laptop in my earlier testing.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I prefer a 2 step as I already have a built gearbox and LC4 is still not tested on high powered cars

Moreover, Glenn downloaded LC1 on my TCM and no matter how many Cobb TCM maps I try to download it's stuck on LC1, even after sending it to be bench flashed

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ben just emailed me to say the launch was low. Mine is on a completely stock car which may or may not make a difference, but I only get 1500 RPM with VDC off or before it is warmed up. Also touch points and capacity may make a difference. However, when warm I get 4000 + RPM. Hopefully something simple to fix as I flashed with the laptop in my earlier testing.
Hi John,
Thanks for commenting, I didn't think re the capacities, so I will change them and try again later today (later evening lower temps).
The whole warmed up thing is such a variable! I think at 80 deg C for TCM is good.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
yup a few days ago joe added code to the ALPHA firmware that will allow you to install as LC1,LC2,LC3, or LC4. two stock style maps. LC1-LC3 cars will want to use the Modified Stock.

so far this is just for a few guys to test in difference regions. after some feedback Joe & Will made some adjustments which are not in that firmware, so more to come

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
As I'm no expert you'll have to explain man what 2 step is?
Launch + Boost

The one Switzer uses and John Shepherd has on his car

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yup a few days ago joe added code to the ALPHA firmware that will allow you to install as LC1,LC2,LC3, or LC4. two stock style maps. LC1-LC3 cars will want to use the Modified Stock.

so far this is just for a few guys to test in difference regions. after some feedback Joe & Will made some adjustments which are not in that firmware, so more to come
Hey Benny,
The interesting thing was no two stock maps available.... The was only one in the list during the flash.
Sorry if got anybody excited thinking they can do this today or tomorrow!!! Whoops, my bad!
DD.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm on alpha software...waiting on more info on this.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
tried and did not work.....but the car drives much better!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Initially then it would be good to hear if all the EDM 2009 (and USDM 2010) work for LC4 as they do on mine which is 1500 RPM until warm, then 4000+ RPM and a superb launch like the 2012 car. Working out which models don't launch and in what VDC mode would be good to work out what further has to be done to get it working in all individual markets.

Staying in R mode between manual and auto confirms you have the correct 2012 TCM flashed, and brings the smoother drive, which to me is the main benefit as I'm not interested in launching.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
DiscoDan,

Is it required to uninstall and reinstall again? Also, how does the LC4 compare with the LC2 Level 2 TCM?

Joe,

Is there any best practices for combatting the low battery dilemma? I was thinking of hooking up my trickle charger while doing the uninstall/reinstall but I don't want to fry anything.

I'm also anxious to try out the v3.6 maps!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts