Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Hello to all, I've been lurking on here for a while, but I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a 1 Owner CBA GTR with 36k Miles. I've come from a long line of BMW M performace cars. I really llike the GTR, but I'd have to say, coming from owning both an F10 M5 and F82 M4 up until last week, I feel as though the M's were more refined. But I understand that's probably due to mines being a CBA vs DBA.

1) The car's great, but I have some concerns for which my dealer can't help out with because they're closed until Tuesday. I keep hearing a constant high pitched noise that's comoing from the rear, it's almost as if it's coming from the stock bose rear speakers but even with the radio completely off, it persists. It's getting annoying as hell!! And I can't figure it out.

2) The car sounds slightly weird when I turn it over, doesn't matter if it's the initial crank or the 8th time i turn it on during the day. I hear a low clunk/thump but maybe that's just the Nissan motor becuase apart from that it runs perfectly and shifts perfectly. But it still feels a bit "un-natural".

3) Lastly, the car has a burnt oil smell coming into the cabin. It feels like it's getting worse, but it makes me not want to use the A/C, and yes I'm still experiencing the smell when I turn on the inside circulation.

If anyone can help me or point me in the right dirrections with some of these concerns a new 3 day old owner is experiencing, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm installing lowering springs and H&R Trak spacers on Tuesday.

EDIT: I wanted to add a couple pics of the beast. I know it's dirty as hell, but it's been raining almost every day where I live : [

Also, can anyone tell me what type of lip that is? The previous owner put it on.

· R35 member
3,069 Posts
Is the car stock? The whistle noise is probably just the turbo spinning down. The tranny is in the rear and clunks like crazy so that may be the noise you're hearing in the back. For 3, check to see if the ac is on fresh air or recirculate. You still shouldn't be smelling oil but if the dealer put his greasy hands on the exhaust, it could be burning off. Also , check for obvious oil leaks. The motor has a splash shield so any leaks should be obvious and accumulate there.

Joe

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
1,934 Posts
Did you purchase from a Nissan dealer, miscellaneous used car dealer or private owner? Did you have a PPI done?

· Registered
18 Posts
Yes the car is 100% stock as of now. I checked for leaks and couldn't find any at all.

I drove it some more today and noticed that on recirculation the smell is worse. But on fresh air it's better.

Is the car stock? The whistle noise is probably just the turbo spinning down. The tranny is in the rear and clunks like crazy so that may be the noise you're hearing in the back. For 3, check to see if the ac is on fresh air or recirculate. You still shouldn't be smelling oil but if the dealer put his greasy hands on the exhaust, it could be burning off. Also , check for obvious oil leaks. The motor has a splash shield so any leaks should be obvious and accumulate there.

Joe

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I bought it from a used car dealer, PPI came out clean. No issues except I'll need brakes soon.

Did you purchase from a Nissan dealer, miscellaneous used car dealer or private owner? Did you have a PPI done?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the link. No that's not the noise I'm hearing. It's a high pitched squeal that's continuous. It almost sounds as if it's coming from the rear speakers..it doesn't seem to be coming fromunderneath the car, trunk area or doesn't actually sound mechanical in nature. It's incredibly annoying until I put up the stereo lol

Doesn't sound like the transmission either...but it could be something imnoverlooking.

· Registered
18 Posts
Yea tell me about it. A few rattles and clunks I guess are natural. The transmission is pretty noisy, but I don't mind clunks and rattles as long as everything's 100%. The car feels very raw and connected to the road. You feel everything. But it's fun as hell to drive I'd have to admit. Exceeded my expectations.

The car is very noisy on startup that's normal. You may hear the trans engaging and disengaging during the star up test. That is normal.

· R35 Owner
391 Posts
The engine starting up sounds like a diesel, that's normal.
Let me focus on the high pitch noise in the rear. Does it change pitch the faster you go? Does it change with total speed or with RPMs? Is it faint; does it get louder with speed or just change pitch? Can you record it or is it too high pitched? The transmission is under the rear seats, is that where it is coming from? If it is constant and doesn't change with speed, remove the passenger side rear seat cushion and if that's where it's coming from it's just the fuel pumps and is normal.

If it's not constant and changes with speed... If it is stock, the next thing I want you to do is go out put it in RRR mode and drive in 2nd gear to about 3500 rpm and then hold it there for a second and then punch the throttle hard. Tell me if it breaks the tires loose in the back. If you have an FBO, do the same thing in 3rd gear. If the tires do completely break loose (more than just a chirp) the high pitch sound is likely coming from a broken FWD output shaft. If this test is not conclusive, then the next thing I want you to do is go to a parking lot and back the car up in reverse as is backing out of a driveway but turn the wheel sharp to backup in a circle for a few seconds then try in the steering in the opposite direction. It should sound like a combat tank, as if something is binding and the front and/or rear tires should make binding noises. This is actually NORMAL for a fully working AWD system. If it doesn't make the combat tank sounds, then your FWD output shaft is snapped.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much. I will take the rear seat off and try to listen a bit closer. The noise doesn't change AT ALLL. Doesn't matter the speed, RPM's or whether it's parked or in drive, it's constant, and stays exactly the same. From what you've all said, it sounds like it's normal. Maybe I'm just not used to that high pitched sound lol

As far as how it starts, that's a great relief lol Sounds like a diesel beast on start up

The engine starting up sounds like a diesel, that's normal.
Let me focus on the high pitch noise in the rear. Does it change pitch the faster you go? Does it change with total speed or with RPMs? Is it faint; does it get louder with speed or just change pitch? Can you record it or is it too high pitched? The transmission is under the rear seats, is that where it is coming from? If it is constant and doesn't change with speed, remove the passenger side rear seat cushion and if that's where it's coming from it's just the fuel pumps and is normal.

If it's not constant and changes with speed... If it is stock, the next thing I want you to do is go out put it in RRR mode and drive in 2nd gear to about 3500 rpm and then hold it there for a second and then punch the throttle hard. Tell me if it breaks the tires loose in the back. If you have an FBO, do the same thing in 3rd gear. If the tires do completely break loose (more than just a chirp) the high pitch sound is likely coming from a broken FWD output shaft. If this test is not conclusive, then the next thing I want you to do is go to a parking lot and back the car up in reverse as is backing out of a driveway but turn the wheel sharp to backup in a circle for a few seconds then try in the steering in the opposite direction. It should sound like a combat tank, as if something is binding and the front and/or rear tires should make binding noises. This is actually NORMAL for a fully working AWD system. If it doesn't make the combat tank sounds, then your FWD output shaft is snapped.

· Registered
10,371 Posts
Stock gears can whine a little in a lower rpm IMO.

Could also pull the fuse for the radio if Klamathpro's instructions don't return anything abnormal.

Where are you located. Sure someone can give you a quick second ear.

· Registered
363 Posts
Burnt oil smell you say, only when parked or when driving? If the smell occurs when parked, check cv joint boots. I had a hole in one boot and it would throw around the grease on the left turbo and other hot engine parts making it smell horrible when parked.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys so I finally had time to look at the car today. Went into the garage and turned it on, then the search for the sound began.

I took the rear seats off and nothing. So I went to the trunk and took some of the plastics off. It ended up being the left speaker. I guess it's blown. I quickly unplugged it and the whining sound immediately went away. Messed with the stereo and made some adjustments and I can't even tell that the left speaker isn't working, but maybe thats attri uted tp the sh*ty Bose crap of a system lol

I'm very happy that it turned out to be something so simple, vs it being a trans or fuel pump issue.

BTW I'm located about 30 min SW of Orlando, FL

Stock gears can whine a little in a lower rpm IMO.

Could also pull the fuse for the radio if Klamathpro's instructions don't return anything abnormal.

Where are you located. Sure someone can give you a quick second ear.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey nothing when it's parked no smell at all. It's when I drive or get on it. My clothes end up smelling like smog lol

Burnt oil smell you say, only when parked or when driving? If the smell occurs when parked, check cv joint boots. I had a hole in one boot and it would throw around the grease on the left turbo and other hot engine parts making it smell horrible when parked.

· Registered
1,934 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

· R35 member
3,069 Posts
Hey guys so I finally had time to look at the car today. Went into the garage and turned it on, then the search for the sound began.

I took the rear seats off and nothing. So I went to the trunk and took some of the plastics off. It ended up being the left speaker. I guess it's blown. I quickly unplugged it and the whining sound immediately went away. Messed with the stereo and made some adjustments and I can't even tell that the left speaker isn't working, but maybe thats attri uted tp the sh*ty Bose crap of a system lol

I'm very happy that it turned out to be something so simple, vs it being a trans or fuel pump issue.

BTW I'm located about 30 min SW of Orlando, FL
I'm in Lakeland if you ever need help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.