Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I have been looking for a trailer hitch solution for some time now but only have seen on guy do it but only for a small bike rack, so I hired a guy to put a stronger hitch on my GT-R. Well he did it! No drilling and no welding. Everything is bolted in. Removal is not quick nor easy but it can be done... Unfortunately I could not be around for the install so no pics of it in progress.

The guy estimated the hitch added about 50 lbs. I'm not happy about that but it will allow me to lug my 45' boat to the lake now... EDIT(because some stopped reading here) - I am joking - no boat I am towing a 4x6 utility/tire trailer.

Below are some pictures, and I am kidding about the boat.
I am putting a small utility trailer on there for my track wheels, tires and gear. I am actually going on a 6,000 mile road/track trip with this setup too... We'll see how that works out lol, and I am not kidding about that.

I had to remove the rear mesh and while it isn't pretty it doesn't bother me. If it ever does I can make a custom mesh cover for it... Also I have the stock exhaust but I think this will fit around any exhaust.

If the trip and hitch prove to be a success and there are enough people interested I will remove it from the car and take complete pics and if someone wants to copy it that too..

It wasn't cheap and took the guy about 8 hours to build. It is very strong though. I'm 190 and was able to stand on it without a hint of flex.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
don't see the big deal, he is just towing a small trailer. GTR will easily pull that.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
45' boat, GTR, and no truck? I suppose it would look cool driving down the street!

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
ok if it was on maxima.... but ona a gtr? ... thats like almost towing with a ferrari lol
He is going 6000 miles cross country.. only so much a GTR can store. I would rock a small trailer if I was Road racing cross country. Its still a car and still has enough power to tow, he is not going to hurt the car...

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
45' boat, GTR, and no truck? I suppose it would look cool driving down the street!
Like me you probably didn't score well in standardized tests on reading comprehension... No boat just a small trailer.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I didn't realize having a tow hitch on your car was a prerequisite to driving it on the track. Enlightening as always.
I live in a condo, have no room for a truck or a big trailer and plan to hit six tracks and do maybe 10-11 days of driving on them. I'll need tires, and gear. I could have them shipped out and more but I'm sick of running on street tires. I had planned to do this before for local trips but might as well do it for this... Should be fun.

And...it is completely removable and remountable... It'll take an hour or so but it can be done..

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
You're gonna take some heat for this one jmunjr, but don't listen. A bunch of pretty boys showing off their shiny new rims at cars and coffee won't understand your insanity. But some of us get it.

·
I'm everywhere.
857 Posts
I would definitely be interested in seeing the piece if you ever remove it. I used to have a tow hitch on my S2000 and people thought I was crazy, but it worked well for carrying spare tires and wheels to the track. Huge props for experimenting and making it happen

Not my old car, but I had the same setup.

I wonder if you could hook up the same bar to your hitch?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts