Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Has anyone been able to find these? Im curious what the price is. Im scheduled to have my car dynoed in a few weeks so if I can get some I can test them out and let you guys know if there is some gain or none at all. Im mostly just going to get something that is a little better than the stock ones since these are reuseable.

Whats your take?

2009 NISSAN GT-R 3.8L V6 F/I - All
K&N Product Information for 33-2413

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2413

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Has anyone been able to find these? Im curious what the price is. Im scheduled to have my car dynoed in a few weeks so if I can get some I can test them out and let you guys know if there is some gain or none at all. Im mostly just going to get something that is a little better than the stock ones since these are reuseable.

Whats your take?

2009 NISSAN GT-R 3.8L V6 F/I - All
K&N Product Information for 33-2413

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2413
K&N makes the mines filters I believe, so I think those are an option obviously a little more money but considering these aren't out yet thats your call.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Im not so sure k&n make the mines filters. they may have the same mesh, but its basically higher end and custom to spec for mines. i could be wrong, but i dont think k&n ever released anything so nice!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not so sure k&n make the mines filters. they may have the same mesh, but its basically higher end and custom to spec for mines. i could be wrong, but i dont think k&n ever released anything so nice!
Its an air filter lol. I dont see the point in a $300 mines air filter. Most the K&N kits are around $100 bucks. On my viper it added 11 HP. Ill be happy if it adds 3 HP to the GT-R lol.

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
anyone have a reason why i shouldnt get these?

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
get them. ya, there really isnt any reason to not get them. as long as they are drop in filters.

THO, i do say if your upgrading horse power with the ecu, its a bit picky with mods like these as seen from cobb tuning accessport beta testing. im not sure if many people have tried these air filters, only a few have them. and cobb have a new beta out that should fix it, but unknown as of right now.

i was doing some reading and alot of aftermarket filters let to much dust and dirt in. they let alot more airflow too, but thats not good for the internals.

i say get better oil filteration system and a good filter, but tests are so rare.

anyone ask AMSOIL if they have made a fliter, i was just reading an older catalog and they actually offer filters with the benift of more airflow and better filtation so less dust is consumed. i dunno.

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
how sensitive is the GT-Rs MAF when it comes to the oil?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Thats what I figured, and Ive tried K&N on a bunch of cars. Infact I met the founder of K&N at a race event. He came with his viper it was pretty cool meeting him. So I feel that my money personally is going into his pocket which I dont mind since I like the guy hahaha. I will gladly try these on my car and I will be getting it dyno'd in about 3 weeks. If only I can find some in stock and do a review. Anyone have any luck? I might just call up K&N direct tomorrow.

Plus I already have the wash kit and oil for these.

Still no real reason to not grab them?

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
So far , the only argument would be whether you want a dry or wet type aftermarket filter...

I'd say:

Wet type: Go with this K&N model that has the right frame geometry (Forget Mine's)

Dry Type: HKS Super Hybrid (the green ones), now $70 from some vendor on here.
I had the imported Dry Nismo Sports Filters for my 350Z then i had the AEM Dry cone filters on my newer NISMO Z

i guess my question although it seems petty...is any issues with the wet and the MAF?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
"We are aware of the "urban myth" (K&N News Story) created by a few dealerships that a vehicle's MAF sensor can be contaminated by K&N filter oil. No evidence has ever been provided to support this "myth" and three years of diagnostic testing by K&N has shown that not only is this allegation not real, it is not even possible. In our opinion, it is an excuse for a dealership and/or the vehicle manufacturer to avoid a legitimate warranty repair. In the last 4 years, we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. We believe that Dealership's or service provider's real incentive may be to discourage the use of reusable products so they can sell disposable products over and over. In order to provide consumers with added comfort that they will not be placed in a bad position by an improper warranty denial, we offer our Consumer Protection Pledge.

No dealership or service provider, when contacted, has ever been able to provide us with evidence to support this "myth," and in fact, our investigations have revealed that even authorized dealerships are simply speculating and do not have the test equipment necessary to know whether the sensor has failed or why. In the last 4 years, we have had more than 100 actual sensors sent to us by dealerships that claimed our product had caused them to fail. Microscopic, electronic and chemical testing revealed that none of these sensors were contaminated by K&N.

We are so confident about our testing and the quality of our product that we offer a Consumer Protection Pledge. So if you ever get in a bind with a dealership, call us because we are the solution."

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

heavily oiled my K&N air filter on other cars and it was never a problem even then. They are willing to stand behind the product and tell your local nissan service department to go F&#K themselves... nice
Im sold

·
Founder/Admin
26,253 Posts
The only issue generally with a MAF is you have to be careful not to overoil your filter element. If oil gets on the MAF wire, it'll burn up its filament and it'll kill it. Otherwise, a wet filter that's oiled properly will work fine wrt to the MAF.
yeah i mean ive had them before just never on a car long enough where they needed reoiling

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My observation was a general one about Wet filters and not specific to K&N's product... I have myself burnt a MAF with an overoiled filter, specifically a Unifilter Rampod that I run on my Subaru Sti for rally. So I do know first hand that it CAN happen. I still have the burnt MAF in a dusty box somewhere in my garage.
Hmm strange, Id check into their warranty as they claim the oil itself does not create a problem. Maybe over oiling can create a problem, but of course with all mods to the GT-R, do use caution.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts