Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
this could be the problem.
From what I can tell everything I can buy has some sort of coating on it. What are you thinking could be the problem? I ground everything down nice and smooth to bare metal and I'm waiting on the Cicio washers to put it back together to see what's up. I also welded up the crank and used a jig to machine it all nice and flat. Looks brand new. But if I need a non coated flywheel I can replace it. But again from what I'm seeing everything is either painted or anodized.

·
Registered
383 Posts
imho the force is being transferred from bare metal to metal, not the studs transfer the force. so if there is paint on it i might be the cause. but u said the area is bare metal

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
imho the force is being transferred from bare metal to metal, not the studs transfer the force. so if there is paint on it i might be the cause. but u said the area is bare metal
It's currently bare metal but I haven't put it back together yet. Waiting on the washers. After I throw it back together I'll know if it's something engine related or if it was just the flywheel. It's just weird to have any issues from slowing down quickly. I've never had that before.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i checked this in my tech group and they think this is clearly a cavitation damage. maybe due to power coating.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i checked this in my tech group and they think this is clearly a cavitation damage. maybe due to power coating.

That would be good news. Since I removed the flywheel and bellhousing I removed all of the coating on the back of the flywheel, welded in the low spots in the back of the crankshaft, machined everything nice and flat and am currently waiting on the cicio spacer to throw it all back together. If it was that was what was making all the noise, the noise should be gone or at the very least change in how it sounds after I throw it back together. The only other thing I think it could be would be a rod bearing but I honestly just don't see how that can happen on one of these motors. I should know later this week or next week at the latest depending on shipping.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Tilton (T1/ETS) is indeed black.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Think it was a JV between T1/ETS and Tilton so doubt it there are any issues with engineering as it’s sold on the shelf. If OP made any changes well then yes I would agree. Think the black oxide helps during the hardening process.

T1 also sells a flywheel ARP bolt upgrade to help stop fretting.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Think it was a JV between T1/ETS and Tilton so doubt it there are any issues with engineering as it’s sold on the shelf. If OP made any changes well then yes I would agree. Think the black oxide helps during the hardening process.

T1 also sells a flywheel ARP bolt upgrade to help stop fretting.

Yes, I agree with what you say. When you don`t have all of the information it`s easy to come to the wrong conclusion.
I would use engineers blue between the crank and flywheel torque them together loosen off the bolts again and look at the contact patch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
That is the flywheel that I am using. The coating has kind of clump up and worn off in different spots. I sanded it down smooth and will reinstall with some blue to see what's what after it's all said and done. When I removed it there was abot 20% material not making contact because of the fretting. Hoping after my repair and Cicio washer I wont have any more issues.

Again the car was driving great up until I started down shifting from about 90 quickly while braking hard. Was testing everything to make sure the car was ready for a half mile event next month but obviously something went wrong.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Great, in my opinion as long as you have no paint under the bolt heads and between the crank and flywheel causing a "sandwich" effect and good solid contact as close to 100% as you can get, then you can`t do more. Painting a surface (if that is indeed the case) that has previously been machined flat that is to be mated with another flat unpainted surface is a bit of a conundrum to me, never come across that before?
I don`t know if you document stuff but it`s a good habit to get into in case of future problems. Plenty of photos is never wrong.
Very interesting post you`ve created by the way.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts