Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With one wire you can have your LED lights work at night on your 2012 GTR. I just had it done and it works perfectly. If you are in the Houston area let me know and I will hook you up with the GTR Tech who does it. They also work when the ACC is on. Looks awesome at night.

·
SF Bay Area Member
548 Posts
I really want to do this on my 12, but I'm in nor Cal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Living down South of Houston, I find it hard to make it into Houston for many meets. Cars & Coffee is a good one, but I haven't had the time. I'll see y'all around for sure!

Ash

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts

·
SF Bay Area Member
548 Posts
Can someone explain the "easy" way?

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
That is doing it the hard way.
Running one inconspicuous wire is the hard way? You're mistaken...unless you believe the easy way is to take money out of your wallet and pay someone else to do the work, which obviously is "easier."

Alexd

·
Registered
28 Posts
Running one inconspicuous wire is the hard way? You're mistaken...unless you believe the easy way is to take money out of your wallet and pay someone else to do the work, which obviously is "easier."

Alexd
No need to get upset. Running 1 wire through the car is the hard way. It only takes about 6 inches of wire to do properly and way less time.

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
No need to get upset. Running 1 wire through the car is the hard way. It only takes about 6 inches of wire to do properly and way less time.
If this is true, then (unlike me, who showed in pictures and typed up a full description what to do, under the hood by-the-way) here's your chance to explain to everyone in detail what you claim to be so easy. Without proof, that's just so much hot air...

Alexd

·
Registered
28 Posts
If this is true, then (unlike me, who showed in pictures and typed up a full description what to do, under the hood by-the-way) here's your chance to explain to everyone in detail what you claim to be so easy. Without proof, that's just so much hot air...

Alexd
Again, no need to be upset about anything. I haven't said anything negative about you, nor will I, you have helped alot of people on this forum, so there's no need to call me a liar. There is an empty relay socket in the IPDM that you use for power. Add a wire from there to either one of the LED wires. Easy. Some people don't feel comfortable messing with wiring no matter how simple it is so to them paying someone to do it is the easiest way. I'm sorry that I don't have pictures right now to show you the proof.

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Again, no need to be upset about anything. I haven't said anything negative about you, nor will I, you have helped alot of people on this forum, so there's no need to call me a liar. There is an empty relay socket in the IPDM that you use for power. Add a wire from there to either one of the LED wires. Easy. Some people don't feel comfortable messing with wiring no matter how simple it is so to them paying someone to do it is the easiest way. I'm sorry that I don't have pictures right now to show you the proof.
I didn't call you a liar. I do believe that unsupported claims need further looking into. I doubt that you're so naive as to believe that you can just say anything, and expect it automatically to be believed...especially since the LED issue was looked into by many people besides me, and you never added your "input" along the way.

Identify the socket location and the terminal location precisely, and it will be checked out...

Alexd

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
He never came back...

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
He never came back...
Of course not. Ruffled feathers, for shooting off his mouth about what he THOUGHT might work, and being called on it.

Alexd

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think the LEDs are brighter than the headlights...

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
I think the LEDs are brighter than the headlights...
You may be right! Some of us don't care, but there is a fix for even that.

Inserting a (and I'm making an educated guess now, because I'm not going to evaluate what I think the resistance should be, to make the LEDs dimmer at night) 10 Ohm - 10 Watt resistor anywhere between the fuse block (inside) and the wire/wires coming from the the panel next to the battery, will dim them (at night only). Greater resistance from that value will correspondingly make the LEDs even dimmer.

10 Watt resistors GET HOT. Get one with a mounting tab and place it away from any plastic parts that could melt if touched.

Alexd
P.S. If one of you does this, please experiment with different resistances between 5 Ohms and 20 Ohms, and then come back here and tell everybody what YOU determined to be the best value to achieve the proper nighttime brightness. You can experiment with cheapo 1/2 watt resistors, using them for only a few moments before they sizzle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Of course not. Ruffled feathers, for shooting off his mouth about what he THOUGHT might work, and being called on it.

Alexd
No ruffled feathers. I haven't been on the site in a long time. I didn't shoot off my mouth about something I THOUGHT might work. I merely stated another way of doing it, that I have personally done on the OP's car. It took about 10 minutes to figure out how to do it this way and maybe 15 minutes to actually perform but you can continue to run wires through the car if you want. The empty relay socket is at the top of the IPDM. Very easy to see. Check for switched power in the socket and use that. Run a wire from there to either of the led lights and your done. Easy. Again, no ruffled feathers or hard feelings. Have a good day.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts