Nissan GT-R Forum banner

What do YOU think?

• Go HAM. It's fine.

• A day or two at the strip or track should be ok.

• A launch or two on the street, but that's it...no prepped surfaces.

• Keep the boost low and you're golden.

• Launches are fine...watch the 3-4 shift.

• You're doomed. Pull the engine now while it's still in one piece.

• How TF is it still running?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Speaking of tunes. I don't have any dyno numbers but my tuner just posted a dyno sheet and Dragy data on FB from another stock motor/trans upgraded turbo car he just finished. We ran almost identical numbers except my DA was +6000 ft higher. I'd kill for a -500 ft DA but it isn't going to happen here in Colorado. Not saying you shoot for these power numbers as a goal but the numbers can be replicated if you're comfortable with them and the TQ figure is still under the consensus limit of 650 ft-lbs.

Dragy graph #1 is the car he just recently tuned with the corresponding dyno graph below and Dragy graphs #2 & #3 were from my car a few months back. The 9.87 run was cut short.

View attachment 402874

View attachment 402875
Looking good! I'm still working on getting the tune redone...it's honestly hard to find people that reply to emails. It's like, "I've got a few hundred bucks for you, can you reply to my email please?" :ROFLMAO: Ivey replies pretty quickly, he just doesn't say anything. lol

But yea...I'd be super happy with that! Once I've gotten it dialed in and reliable, I don't see myself doing any more power mods any time soon. Famous last words, I know, but I'd be super happy with a high-9-second car like that for the foreseeable future. That's a good goal. To go beyond that, gotta start building things, which I'm sure will happen eventually, but that's a great "stopping point". Looks awesome!

Those runs are using LC, I assume? Still haven't launched mine. Hahaha

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several shops out there with dedicated upgraded turbo packages (Cicio performance for example) with several of those cars being used at the track and Mexico runs. At the end of the day gotta ask yourself what the end goal is and work towards that. I would suggest doing it once so you don’t pay double or triple what it would to do it right the first time.

Know multiple people with the 800 package that are perfectly fine with that and it’s lasted them quite a while with no real issues

·
Registered
631 Posts
While there's a lot of data supporting what power levels are considered safe on the stock motor, its hard to see the other types of variability. There's going to be people who tell you that they have 50,000+ miles on your same setup, but in reality they probably have never seen any event or maybe go WOT once a quarter. Then you have folks who have had engines last half a quarter of that because they drive it like they stole it. It's difficult to quantify and correlate how hard someone is driving against the mileage they're getting out of their car. In addition to the above, the tuning also plays a huge huge part of it as well.

It's nice to see your stock motor put down 850whp or whatever - but in reality - how many times can it do that repeatedly within that lifetime.

With that said, its relatively "safe" to put down those numbers but deep down inside you still need to recognize its on borrowed time regardless of what anyone says. If you have the funds to build it, then definitely do it sooner than later because the price of a bare block is basically 3x what it was a few years ago :).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yup. For now, I've got a fuel pressure sensor going in on Tuesday, then it's getting re-tuned. I want a solid but somewhat conservative tune that I don't have to worry about (as much). Definitely going to build things ASAP. I'd REALLY like to build the bottom myself. I'm a big time "red button syndrome", gotta see how stuff works, DIY type. It'd be fun, I'd learn a lot and hey...it'd save some coin which would be cool, too. Definitely rolling the idea around...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts