Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys tried Liqui Moly oils on your engine. They say the 10W40 is better than Mobil 1. Also, any thoughs on The oil Additive ceratec?

Just wondering if I can use these oils with regards to the engine components being coated and all...

Thanks in Advance all!

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Liqui-moly (lubro moly) has good results for street driven cars, but no GT-R that I can find. It is primarily boron antiwear, and I know of no track use. I cannot say it's better than M1, especially the 0w-40. Unlikely a 10w-40 would be better for wear, though.

The additive ceratec has some use, but no proof of use on track cars. It might not be so good for our cars.

There are too many REALLY good oils out there to resort to additives, including some in the Lubro Moly line (their 0w-40 would be good to test, but at $11 per quart, that's kinda pricey)

Shawn

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Thanks for your insight Shawn. Will stick with M1 or HKS Oil
I'm assuming "Liquid Moly" has something to do with Molybdenum DiSulphide as an additive; an additive that has been around for many decades, in one form or another. How "Boron antiwear" comes into the picture, escapes me.

My own experience with this additive hasn't been good. The particles (I think) clog filters; it's not a liquid Per Se. My experience with it ISN'T with a GT-R, however.

Anyway, Mobil One 0-W40 has a better additive package than Mobil One 10-W40 per Mobil One's own datasheets. I plan to stick with it.

Alexd

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Alex. Have you tried HKS oil? These are a the oils that are available here. Kinda difficult to get mobil1

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Thanks Alex. Have you tried HKS oil? These are a the oils that are available here. Kinda difficult to get mobil1
No, I'm not familiar with it. There are many excellent synthetic oils, but I would stick with 0W-40 weight for most environments, and check out the additive package contents of Zinc and Phosphorus...then make a comparison there, also considering availability of course.

Alexd

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I'm assuming "Liquid Moly" has something to do with Molybdenum DiSulphide as an additive; an additive that has been around for many decades, in one form or another. How "Boron antiwear" comes into the picture, escapes me.
No. Mobil-1 has 70 times as much molybdenum disulfide as Liqui Moly or Lubro Moly

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2377569

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1722539

Boron:
http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/mas/article/view/2399

Mobil 1 0W-40 uses twice as much Boron as they do Molybdenum as antiwear.

My own experience with this additive hasn't been good. The particles (I think) clog filters; it's not a liquid Per Se. My experience with it ISN'T with a GT-R, however.

Anyway, Mobil One 0-W40 has a better additive package than Mobil One 10-W40 per Mobil One's own datasheets. I plan to stick with it.
Since Mobil 1 0W-40 uses Molybdenum Disulfide, which you claim "(I think) clogs filters", and 186 ppm Boron, which you don't understand AT ALL, apparently, why would you use this technology?

Additionally, Mobil-1 10W-40 High Mileage has more Zinc and Phosphorous:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2330033

But less Boron and Molybdenum, so why would you use the 0W-40?

Summary: your familiarity with modern oil additive packages are complete assumptions and possibly experience from solid Moly sold as an additive over two decades ago. If you trust Mobil-1, then plenty of Moly and Boron technology are in those oils, and are SUPERB oils. How about catching up on the last 15 years of tribology, and then give us an opinion?

Shawn

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Summary: your familiarity with modern oil additive packages are complete assumptions and possibly experience from solid Moly sold as an additive over two decades ago. If you trust Mobil-1, then plenty of Moly and Boron technology are in those oils, and are SUPERB oils. How about catching up on the last 15 years of tribology, and then give us an opinion?

Shawn
Apparently you have an AGENDA, and you don't like to hear honest/straightforward opinions and experience given in answer to a question. Pasting Links to in part tangential
discussions as "evidence" apparently suits your purposes, since cogent writing doesn't.

Alexd

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Anyone know anything about the valvoline nextgen oils? Just curious how they compare to other motor oils being that they are recycled. I haven't seen a weight that fits our GTRs, but am interested if anyone knows anything about quality.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Apparently you have an AGENDA
Yep. It's called education. E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N.

And facts. Independant confirmation of observational studies.

, and you don't like to hear honest/straightforward opinions and experience given in answer to a question. Pasting Links to in part tangential
discussions as "evidence" apparently suits your purposes, since cogent writing doesn't.

Alexd
Anecdotal opinions based on wild buttock guesses about what "Liqui Moly" is, and that proven Molybdenum Disulfide used by Mobil-1 might clog filters based on WHAT experience, mind you? Is this the cogent writing you speak of? Well, allow me to retort.

The links are spectrographal analyses of Virgin Oil samples on the largest public U.S. tribology community that show, from one of the most respected independant lab, the Zinc, Molybdenum Disulfide, and Boron from Liqui Moly and Mobil-1. If that counts as "in part tangential discussions as "evidence", in your book, then by all means educate us. Please share some cogent writing on the zinc, moly, and boron content from this "mobil 1" you speak of, and how it may clog filters, and "How "Boron antiwear" comes into the picture, escapes me". Do proceed and enlighten us.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Anyone know anything about the valvoline nextgen oils? Just curious how they compare to other motor oils being that they are recycled. I haven't seen a weight that fits our GTRs, but am interested if anyone knows anything about quality.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2194500&page=1

Spectrographic Oil Analysis of a Vigin sample of NextGen 5W-30. No "UOA" or "used oil analysis" easily locatable at this point. No head to head comparisons available in the public sector as of yet. Initial analysis appears to be a relatively solid oil for streetcar use, but figure on 5,000 miles max, when a high quality synthetic would run 10,000 miles. If you feel like being green, a reasonable oil to use.

But, when you REALLY feel committed to the planet, consider THIS:
http://www.getg.com/

Virgin spectrographic:
http://205.243.146.146/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2342666&page=1

5,000 mile Used Oil Analysis in a Ford Explorer:
http://205.243.146.146/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2361448&page=1

My Acura RDX is running a cocktail of 1/2 of the stuff with Mobil-1 5W-30 right now, and would probably be at 100% if I could trust the G-oil to meet the HTO-6 deposit control standard, but it hasn't been tested yet. I let the RDX oil monitor determine change intervals on that vehicle (and based on used oil analyses, so far the 4,000-7,000 mile intervals seem appropriate), and will likely be shoving off a spectrographic myself to see how much shear and acid neutralizing loss has occurred. We'll see.

Shawn

·
Super Moderator
3,591 Posts
Obviously your fervor proves your AGENDA. Be well...

Alexd

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been using LiquiMoly 10w-60 for years and it is great, it is widely known among the track racers in germany. When I tracked my old car (STI) I usually see around 5C lower temps compared to other oil weights. Also the BMW dealer here recommends it on there M Power cars as an alternative to Castrol.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Obviously your fervor proves your AGENDA. Be well...

Alexd
Indeed. It's a passion dude. The amount of misinformation and old wives tales out there that people pass off as "facts" send me into a tizzy, and it IS my personal mission in life to stomp bullshit and urban legends about lubricants into the worthless drivel that they are.

It would be different, if the information wasn't RIGHT THERE at the fingertips for any and everyone to read.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I have been using LiquiMoly 10w-60 for years and it is great, it is widely known among the track racers in germany. When I tracked my old car (STI) I usually see around 5C lower temps compared to other oil weights. Also the BMW dealer here recommends it on there M Power cars as an alternative to Castrol.
Thanks. It definately has some followers on Bobistheoilguy, because it's US product (LubroMoly) can be purchased at NAPA and Sears. I know many of the BMW owners are concerned that the product doesn't carry official BMW certification, but that is often a formality, rather than a real selling point. The analyses look solid.

Shawn

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Shawn

Always like your informative posts on oil, do you have any opinions on Motul 5w-50 supersport fully synth, it's used by many in the UK/Europe on the tuned GTR's but don't see much mention of it on here?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Hi Shawn

Always like your informative posts on oil, do you have any opinions on Motul 5w-50 supersport fully synth, it's used by many in the UK/Europe on the tuned GTR's but don't see much mention of it on here?
Lots of good results here for 300v in both the 5w-40 and 15w-50 variety here on GT-R's. Nobody has tested in the U.S. yet. My major worry about the Motul racing oils seems to have a low amount of detergent. Motul stands by them as still street able oils, and there is no documented increase in engine deposits that I'm aware of.

No real reason to recommend against this weight. It's very close to my own custom cocktails, but I prefer about half Motul's moly and more boron.

Shawn

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks. It definately has some followers on Bobistheoilguy, because it's US product (LubroMoly) can be purchased at NAPA and Sears. I know many of the BMW owners are concerned that the product doesn't carry official BMW certification, but that is often a formality, rather than a real selling point. The analyses look solid.

Shawn
I tried doing a search about the detergent level on the Liquimoly, how does the Liquimoly 10w60 compare to the Mobil 1 in that department?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I tried doing a search about the detergent level on the Liquimoly, how does the Liquimoly 10w60 compare to the Mobil 1 in that department?
I cannot tell. The LubroMoly and LiquiMoly OTHER formulations have a fair amount LESS (see above analyses on LubroMoly and Mobil-1 - look at the levels of CALCIUM and MAGNESIUM and compare). LuquiMoly 10W60 is a RACING oil, and traditionally, other companies racing formulations have much less detergent/dispersant. They rely on the oil being changed more frequently to keep engine deposits down.

On this issue, I am as clueless as can be. While I know what the company says, I cannot confirm with independant analysis.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts