Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Liqui Moly Oil anyone?

21K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  enshiu 
#1 ·
Have any of you guys tried Liqui Moly oils on your engine. They say the 10W40 is better than Mobil 1. Also, any thoughs on The oil Additive ceratec?

Just wondering if I can use these oils with regards to the engine components being coated and all...

Thanks in Advance all!

#2 ·
Liqui-moly (lubro moly) has good results for street driven cars, but no GT-R that I can find. It is primarily boron antiwear, and I know of no track use. I cannot say it's better than M1, especially the 0w-40. Unlikely a 10w-40 would be better for wear, though.

The additive ceratec has some use, but no proof of use on track cars. It might not be so good for our cars.

There are too many REALLY good oils out there to resort to additives, including some in the Lubro Moly line (their 0w-40 would be good to test, but at $11 per quart, that's kinda pricey)

Shawn

#4 ·
I'm assuming "Liquid Moly" has something to do with Molybdenum DiSulphide as an additive; an additive that has been around for many decades, in one form or another. How "Boron antiwear" comes into the picture, escapes me.

My own experience with this additive hasn't been good. The particles (I think) clog filters; it's not a liquid Per Se. My experience with it ISN'T with a GT-R, however.

Anyway, Mobil One 0-W40 has a better additive package than Mobil One 10-W40 per Mobil One's own datasheets. I plan to stick with it.

Alexd

#6 ·
No, I'm not familiar with it. There are many excellent synthetic oils, but I would stick with 0W-40 weight for most environments, and check out the additive package contents of Zinc and Phosphorus...then make a comparison there, also considering availability of course.

Alexd

#10 ·
Anyone know anything about the valvoline nextgen oils? Just curious how they compare to other motor oils being that they are recycled. I haven't seen a weight that fits our GTRs, but am interested if anyone knows anything about quality.

#12 ·
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2194500&page=1

Spectrographic Oil Analysis of a Vigin sample of NextGen 5W-30. No "UOA" or "used oil analysis" easily locatable at this point. No head to head comparisons available in the public sector as of yet. Initial analysis appears to be a relatively solid oil for streetcar use, but figure on 5,000 miles max, when a high quality synthetic would run 10,000 miles. If you feel like being green, a reasonable oil to use.

But, when you REALLY feel committed to the planet, consider THIS:
http://www.getg.com/

Virgin spectrographic:
http://205.243.146.146/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2342666&page=1

5,000 mile Used Oil Analysis in a Ford Explorer:
http://205.243.146.146/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2361448&page=1

My Acura RDX is running a cocktail of 1/2 of the stuff with Mobil-1 5W-30 right now, and would probably be at 100% if I could trust the G-oil to meet the HTO-6 deposit control standard, but it hasn't been tested yet. I let the RDX oil monitor determine change intervals on that vehicle (and based on used oil analyses, so far the 4,000-7,000 mile intervals seem appropriate), and will likely be shoving off a spectrographic myself to see how much shear and acid neutralizing loss has occurred. We'll see.

Shawn

#13 ·
Obviously your fervor proves your AGENDA. Be well...

Alexd

#15 ·
Indeed. It's a passion dude. The amount of misinformation and old wives tales out there that people pass off as "facts" send me into a tizzy, and it IS my personal mission in life to stomp bullshit and urban legends about lubricants into the worthless drivel that they are.

It would be different, if the information wasn't RIGHT THERE at the fingertips for any and everyone to read.

Shawn

#14 ·
I have been using LiquiMoly 10w-60 for years and it is great, it is widely known among the track racers in germany. When I tracked my old car (STI) I usually see around 5C lower temps compared to other oil weights. Also the BMW dealer here recommends it on there M Power cars as an alternative to Castrol.

#16 ·
Thanks. It definately has some followers on Bobistheoilguy, because it's US product (LubroMoly) can be purchased at NAPA and Sears. I know many of the BMW owners are concerned that the product doesn't carry official BMW certification, but that is often a formality, rather than a real selling point. The analyses look solid.

Shawn

#18 ·
Lots of good results here for 300v in both the 5w-40 and 15w-50 variety here on GT-R's. Nobody has tested in the U.S. yet. My major worry about the Motul racing oils seems to have a low amount of detergent. Motul stands by them as still street able oils, and there is no documented increase in engine deposits that I'm aware of.

No real reason to recommend against this weight. It's very close to my own custom cocktails, but I prefer about half Motul's moly and more boron.

Shawn

#23 ·
5w50 runs good on any mod car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.