Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some 295/35-20 Michelin Super Sports for the rears recently and was told I was going to get 105Y load rated tires and not the 101Y version of the same tire. The 101Y for some reason is listed as more expensive on most sites yet what I had come in was the 101Y and not the 105Y. My opinion is it won't matter as 101Y is just fine for our GT-Rs on stock rims. Does anyone have any insight into this, why is matters and what it really means? Does the load rating have any significance related to tracking the car? Why would 105Y be better than 101Y and why would it be worse?

That is all..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
See link for more information, this should sum it up: Load Rating This rating system is in place to prevent you from overloading the tires from a weight perspective.

Basically by going to a higher load rating (105Y) you have a tire that will allow you to carry more weight per axle. If this number were lower than the OEM spec of 101Y, there could be a chance that the tire could burst under extreme driving conditions if the load limitation is exceeded, (i.e. high speed cornering or braking at a track session), this is why it's best to stick with something that is the same load rating as OEM or a bit higher. The "Y" in the formula designates a speed rating of up to 186 MPH.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
510 Posts
the stock dunlops or bridgestone are rated at 100Y (info from tirerack). So it seemed that either the PSS 295/35/20 101Y or 105Y should be fine. But the 101Y is stated SL Ferrari, cost more but UTQG is higher at 300 AA A. So can anyone confirm would either be fine? Also I was told by my local tire shop that to fit the 295/35/20 on our stock front of 9.5 is still doable, anyone can advice if this is indeed ok?

thanks

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the stock dunlops or bridgestone are rated at 100Y (info from tirerack). So it seemed that either the PSS 295/35/20 101Y or 105Y should be fine. But the 101Y is stated SL Ferrari, cost more but UTQG is higher at 300 AA A. So can anyone confirm would either be fine? Also I was told by my local tire shop that to fit the 295/35/20 on our stock front of 9.5 is still doable, anyone can advice if this is indeed ok?

thanks
Both the 101Y and 105Y versions of the 295/35-20 are UTQG of 300AAA according to Michelin
http://michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/pilot-super-sport-tires#techspec_table

Feel free to be the guinea pig on putting them up front.. FYI OEM sizes and more should be available by March...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.