Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea it is, kind of annoying, but its where I live! haha. For getting started with Ecutek, is this all I need? There are other things I can do to an otherwise stock CBA like LC5, etc with this correct? EcuTek GT-R Ecu Programming Kit » Cicio Performance
Yes, that is all you need to get started, but I don't think that includes the license? I'D definitely talk to your tuner first to make sure they are an EcuTek master tuner before deciding. EcuTek does support LC5.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
I’d honestly drive it some before you drop $20k on a transmission. There was nothing really wrong with the CBA transmission, it was the software. There was no lock out on launch control. That lead to a ton of guys launching multiple times over and over and when things got hot, well they break. The transmission is largely unchanged 15 years later.

Software alone makes a big difference and there were TSB’s for the circlips, so maybe already done.

I knew a handful of guys that ran 50k+ miles running 9.9 to 10.3 on stock CBA transmissions and they never skipped a beat.

CBA’s are before the suspension got soft, doesn’t bother me at all for what it’s built for. With what these chassis and daily driving capability these cars offer, I doubt you’ll worry much about the harshness of the drive, especially in NC. You’ve got some nice roads down there. I’m in upstate NY where we have more pothole’s and asphalt than we know what to do with.

P.s. dash was for LEDs that went dark on the display, ie. Fuel gauge area was pretty common.

·
Registered
2009 Nissan GT-R
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’d honestly drive it some before you drop $20k on a transmission. There was nothing really wrong with the CBA transmission, it was the software. There was no lock out on launch control. That lead to a ton of guys launching multiple times over and over and when things got hot, well they break. The transmission is largely unchanged 15 years later.

Software alone makes a big difference and there were TSB’s for the circlips, so maybe already done.

I knew a handful of guys that ran 50k+ miles running 9.9 to 10.3 on stock CBA transmissions and they never skipped a beat.

CBA’s are before the suspension got soft, doesn’t bother me at all for what it’s built for. With what these chassis and daily driving capability these cars offer, I doubt you’ll worry much about the harshness of the drive, especially in NC. You’ve got some nice roads down there. I’m in upstate NY where we have more pothole’s and asphalt than we know what to do with.

P.s. dash was for LEDs that went dark on the display, ie. Fuel gauge area was pretty common.
Hey thanks for the advice droptopp! Yea I didn't plan to upgrade anything yet, car drives beautifully (to me as compared to the Evo haha). I just want to make sure those circlips are in there as a preventative measure, got my fluids as well. I ordered some from Jacks along with the deeper torx trans pan bolts. What else would you do with an otherwise stock trans/car? I was looking at EcuTek and how it works last night, seems I need the bluetooth programming kit alongside 2 separate licenses, one for the TCM/ECM. Any recommended tuners?

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
I’d overfill it as soon as you can when you do the fluid change. Shep usually has fluid on the shelf from NZ. I know logistics has been tough from NZ/AU lately though.

Other shops in your area may as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm late to the party but welcome! 13 year and counting GG Evo 9 MR owner and I just picked up a 2014 GTR early last year. I can't bring myself to sell the Evo, it is just so much fun and is a nice change of pace after getting out of the land yacht known as an R35. :p

21 - 29 of 29 Posts