Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as the title suggests, I'm looking at getting a used 09-10 GT-R. This car would be a daily driver, NEVER tracked, and NEVER "launched". I've never owned a car as technologically advanced as one of these so I've got some questions..

How do I tell if the warranty has been voided b/c of launch mode used? I thought I read that launch mode doesn't void warranties?

What should I check out with the car? I'm pretty car savvy, but I've never owned a twin turbo car, or even a Japanese car at all. Is there someone I can contact to find out about remaining warranty? I want to get the car setup right (street alignment, etc.). Will the dealership honor the POS if I bought the car used?

How maintenance "intensive" are these cars? I love to do all work on cars/trucks myself, but seeing as how complicated this thing is, will I be able to do most fluid changes myself? I prefer it that way. What are some "bugs" people are finding about with these cars? I've researched but haven't found much, something about a column lock, I think.

Because of pricing, I believe I'm limited to an 09-10 GT-R. Is one year better than the other? I think I read the programming for launch modes is upgraded on the 2010s, and I think they come with about 5 more hp. Any other reason not to get a 2009?

I know there are a lot of questions here, but I've already read a ton of good information on here so I know people can help me out on some of this. Thanks in advance for your time.

Mark

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Keep reading and use the search function and you will find all of your answers. I too am looking at purchasing a used 09-10 in the spring and found all the answers on this forum. Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
a nissan dealer can see when the car was put into service and tell you how much warranty remains. i won't go into the lc issue. you can search and find plenty of threads on that.

maintenance in my opinion is no different from any other car of this type. fluid changes are simple to perform yourself. tranny and diff fluids are pricey ($650 in parts), but based on your description of how it will be driven that schedule is every 18k miles.

biggest difference from 09 to 10 is the color of the wheels. i really prefer the darker wheels on the 10's and 11's. luckily i found a 2010. i would have bought an 09 though if i had found the right deal.

in general i found most of the cars i looked at to be pretty beat up when viewed in person. it really surprised me to see how people treated their cars. it took me 4-5 months to find a clean one. but it was all worth it because it's the most impressive car i've owned to date.

good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Good Luck OP...But who buys a GT-R and never lauches it....it would be like marring a super model just to look at her...you got to do her man

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all replies. I researched the POS topic, but still didn't find where a dealer would honor it if you were a second or third owner. LOL on the supermodel thing, I just hate abusing my cars.. I'll still open her up every once in awhile. ;-)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nissan will still honor the complimentary POS even if your not the original owner. There is no reason not to pick up a 2009 model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.