Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I managed to total my 2011 M3 (constructive loss at 30k which is less than half the value of the car!) and I'm in the market for for a 2010 GTR (right in the price range for a 2012 M3). I came across a mint GTR in my area (if you count 100 miles an area) but need advice on what to offer - my scenario is different than the rest I promise!! :)

So based on the carfax, the car sat on the lot from 2009-jan 2011 (makes the warranty date jan 2011) and then was sold at auction in october. The car is realllly low miles (less than 4000) but they are asking 77k for it. I have a hidden gem up my sleeve in that I know the price they paid at auction for it (access to post sales at major auction locations). I know the car is mint: went over it for almost 40 minutes and couldnt find anything - not even a nick or scrape marks under the front splitter/bumper - car even has a 3m bra that was professionally installed.

I know they are 69k into the car - is offering them 71k an acceptable profit?

mucho thanks in advance.

·
R35
1,312 Posts
I wouldn't get a 2010 simply because the MFD (display) got a refresh starting in 2011 and has much much much better resolution. I saw a friend's 2009 and was appalled. Other than that, it's pretty much the same car.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow reading this just seals the steal I got on my 2010. 70k with 1400miles a year ago.
hmm, maybe i'll keep looking then. i've been having a hard time coming up with sales data for 2010's for some reason and haven't found any comparable deals to this...

·
Registered
719 Posts
71k would be a good price for that car since it's in the condition you describe. I would maybe offer 70k just to see what they say.

Achenator got a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I wrote this in response to a similar post a few weeks ago

"I really feel it is a mistake to pick a used GTR with the greatest emphasis being on selling price. IMO, You should shop for cars in the range of market value for a given model year, miles, and color. Then look closely at vehicle condition and make a choice. There will always be someone who paid less, but that doesn't mean they got a better deal...."

So, if you really believe in the condition of the car, 70-71k seems fine, especially if local. Just my opinion anyway..

BTW, I paid 71k for my like new 2010 with 1,600 miles 3 months ago.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wow, reading this makes me want to sell mine...2010 with 10k miles...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
sleepdoc makes some good points...

Thanks for the feedback guys. After doing alot of searching on these forums and looking all over at other cars I think this is one of the best deals ill be able to find on such a mint car that only has 8 months of warranty used. i'll be making an offer on the car next week...

·
The Nihonjin
308 Posts
Does the $69k include auction fees? Usually dealers want to make at least $2-3k off the car and that is after the transportation costs, inspection and repair, etc.

I agree not to put so much emphasis on the selling price. If the condition is great and you really like the car pay a little more for the satisfaction of having the car you don't regret over time. And a good condition car may have lower maintenance costs in the future.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the $69k include auction fees? Usually dealers want to make at least $2-3k off the car and that is after the transportation costs, inspection and repair, etc.

I agree not to put so much emphasis on the selling price. If the condition is great and you really like the car pay a little more for the satisfaction of having the car you don't regret over time. And a good condition car may have lower maintenance costs in the future.
Final auction price was $69,250 + $500 auction fee and call it $250 for the transport(quite a ways to the dealer from the auction house) - call it a round $70k.

The only hesitation I was having on price was I was price gouged by bmw and their high pressure salesmen (well that and I needed to get out of my audi) - finding out you over paid by 4 grand left a sinking feeling in my stomach - luckily the m3 was enough fun to quickly have me forget about that. The nissan sales guy I'm working with right now is the complete opposite - fully respected me the moment I walked in the door and let me test drive it without handing over my license (it's hard being 24 and getting car salesmen to take you seriously on test driving higher end cars). Because of that I don't mind throwing the guy a few extra bones, but I'm still not gonna gonna let them make 7k off of me :)

I'll be putting in a offer tomorrow...thanks everyone for your input!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good luck! I think you will be very happy with the GT-R versus your previous ride. I bought a 2010 local in NC a few months ago for $68k with 9000 miles. Not the best deal you're going to find, but the car is in great condition and it was a very hassle free buying experience which I was comfortable with where we landed on pricing factoring in that low pressure experience. Anyways, drive the car around a few times and the price becomes more irrelevant at that point.

Eric

·
Registered
65 Posts
I paid 65k for a 2010 Black Premium with 24k miles, perfect condition, always garaged. I think 70-71 for yours is a good deal.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I paid 65k for a 2010 Black Premium with 24k miles, perfect condition, always garaged. I think 70-71 for yours is a good deal.
It's a incredibly good deal....that's why there's no way he'll get it for 70-71....the dealer is gonna want to make a few grand on the car and will sit on it to do so....just my guess....if you really want the car I would be up front with them....tell them you know they're into the car for $70K and offer them 73....

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, did you make an offer on this car? Interested to find outcome of this.

·
Sophisticated
2,980 Posts
2010 is the best year to get IMHO.

The 2012 pulls timing when the water gets over 195 degree's. They loose a good 2-3mph in the 1/4.

The 2011 has to many nannies.

The 2009 has to many reliability troubles.

The 2010 is the ticket. No timing gets pulled when the car gets hot. No reliability problems, and no launch control nannies like the 2011 has.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Dont forget the dealers time.They arent in the business to break even. Someone has to pay their heating and electric bill ;)

Its a great deal. Prices on 10's went up shortly after the 12 prices were anounced. The constant increase year after year has helped offset depreciation. If It is low mileage, clean, and the color you want get it. I would say it would be fair to offer them 73k firm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
71k is not a bad price on that specific gtr, at least from my the data of my research... HOWEVER, lease or get a beater for about 6-7 months and then pull the trigger on a used 2012 GTR. Differences from 08 to 12 are massive. Hell from '11 to '12 is big difference. '12 ones already started going for mid 80s, it will drop to low 70s soon enough. I am being a hawk with prices every week lol. I am waiting for it to drop down to low 70s and get it which gives me enough time to finish up my evo with mods both cosmetic and performance. I will enjoy it till the GTR comes out and the day I get it from the dealer I am going straight (5-6 hour drive) to Cobb @ Plano, TX to get it over 520 to the wheels. Its gonna cost me close to 10k so getting it used at low 70s is perfect.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts