Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Im looking to buy a R32 GTR, I live in Houtson, but if you can ship then thats good too. My max budget is 70k. Has to be under 90k km. Please email me if your selling one [email protected]
Just be careful with the claimed mileage when you are searching. R32 uses mechanical odometer and can be easily swapped out, plenty of super low mileage odometers readily available on Yahoo Auction Japan for only a few hundred bucks, quickly adding $10k to resale value.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just be careful with the claimed mileage when you are searching. R32 uses mechanical odometer and can be easily swapped out, plenty of super low mileage odometers readily available on Yahoo Auction Japan for only a few hundred bucks, quickly adding $10k to resale value.
How can I be sure which ones are real and fake?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Pretty much if it's under 100k km it's fake, unless the seller has Shaken paper from Japan to prove it. If it's over 100k km, probably half of them are fake. I heard Japan has a system like our Carfax here, so if you can somehow find someone or an import company to check the VIN for you, that's about the only way to be sure.

I would say realistically when it comes to R32, if it looks like it's got a lot of mileage (like paint flaking off intake plenum or timing cover), it's got a lot of mileage. If in doubt, assume it's got a lot of mileage and the odometer has been swapped until proven otherwise. Or if it's got an aftermarket odometer like Nismo or Impul, then it's got shit tons of mileage. Get a compression check is about your only defense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much if it's under 100k km it's fake, unless the seller has Shaken paper from Japan to prove it. If it's over 100k km, probably half of them are fake. I heard Japan has a system like our Carfax here, so if you can somehow find someone or an import company to check the VIN for you, that's about the only way to be sure.

I would say realistically when it comes to R32, if it looks like it's got a lot of mileage (like paint flaking off intake plenum or timing cover), it's got a lot of mileage. If in doubt, assume it's got a lot of mileage and the odometer has been swapped until proven otherwise. Or if it's got an aftermarket odometer like Nismo or Impul, then it's got shit tons of mileage. Get a compression check is about your only defense.
What is a compression check?

·
Registered
312 Posts
What is a compression check?
Compression test is putting a pressure gauge where the spark plug should go and cranking the engine without ignition/fuel to see how much pressure the combustion chamber builds. Book spec on an RB26 is 171 psi. If cylinder 6 is low relative to the others the car absolutely needs to have the engine rebuilt which is probably 15k USD these days unless you know how to rebuild it yourself. Not to be discouraging but you should try and pick up stuff like this as quickly as possible to avoid getting screwed over on a junk car. I would charitably describe the import scene as a hive of scum and villainy. There are so many crappy cars dressed up to look nice for unsuspecting buyers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Compression test is putting a pressure gauge where the spark plug should go and cranking the engine without ignition/fuel to see how much pressure the combustion chamber builds. Book spec on an RB26 is 171 psi. If cylinder 6 is low relative to the others the car absolutely needs to have the engine rebuilt which is probably 15k USD these days unless you know how to rebuild it yourself. Not to be discouraging but you should try and pick up stuff like this as quickly as possible to avoid getting screwed over on a junk car. I would charitably describe the import scene as a hive of scum and villainy. There are so many crappy cars dressed up to look nice for unsuspecting buyers.
Okay, so I’m looking at one with around 42,000 miles on it this Saturday. How much psi should it read if I did a compression test?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you also link me to a good compression test kit? I found some for around $40 but I don’t know which one to get

·
Registered
312 Posts
Okay, so I’m looking at one with around 42,000 miles on it this Saturday. How much psi should it read if I did a compression test?
Like I said, book spec when done right with a properly calibrated gauge is 171 psi on all six cylinders. The highest pressure cylinder should be no more than 10% higher in pressure than the lowest pressure cylinder. OTC 5606 is what I use, I don't know if there's another out there that people recommend but it's been working ok for me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You can rent a compression test kit from Autozone for free. It's fine if reading showing 160 or so as long as they are consistent across all cylinders.
By the way at claimed 42,000 miles, 99% the odometer has been swapped until proven otherwise. If seller claims it was imported at that mileage, then it was already swapped in Japan.
However since pretty much most cars have been swapped, just keep in mind as long as the engine is healthy the odometer reading is meaningless, heck it would definitely help you resell later so really not that much of a bad thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can rent a compression test kit from Autozone for free. It's fine if reading showing 160 or so as long as they are consistent across all cylinders.
By the way at claimed 42,000 miles, 99% the odometer has been swapped until proven otherwise. If seller claims it was imported at that mileage, then it was already swapped in Japan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay thank you, I’ll do that. It has a stock odometer and the engine looks very clean. But I guess you can never be 100%

·
Registered
312 Posts
Okay thank you, I’ll do that. It has a stock odometer and the engine looks very clean. But I guess you can never be 100%
"very clean" depends on your definition of clean. I would characterize this car as clean, and that's about what I would expect for a 40k mile car: 1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R

If it has sat outside for much of its life though then all bets are off.

·
Registered
620 Posts
"very clean" depends on your definition of clean. I would characterize this car as clean, and that's about what I would expect for a 40k mile car: 1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R
That is a real clean example, I would believe the mileage on that one.

Here is a counter-example: 1990 Nissan SKYLINE GT-R
Same color, clean outside, clean inside, even frame underneath looks clean, and claimed mileage is similar. Under the hood everything looks to have 100,000+ km.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Gioscottii I am a GTR R32 owner from Ireland have owned my gtr for 13years and I am thinking of selling her on its 1989 genuine mileage mines prepped car have all paper work from importing it car is Gunmetal gray if interested drop me a pm and we can chat more

1 - 15 of 15 Posts