Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, apologize if this is a repost/common topic, but I did searches and I couldn't find anything specific enough to satisfy my quest for knowledge.

I've just purchased a 2014 GTR and like most of you I'm completely obsessed with my car and everything about it. I've been looking around for a lay termed FAQ about the warranty. I've seen a lot of the older threads from my searches about how temperamental Nissan is about actually fulfilling the warranty. Keep in mind I currently have no issues and I've not turned off VDC, launched the car, or modified it yet. I intend to do this in the very near future, but I like to know what the rules are so I can protect myself. I'm not a billionaire and blowing a 20k transmission would make me very uncomfortable, that being said I bought one of the fastest cars in the world and I want to drive it!

I'd like to do some bolt on mods like intake and exhaust system and I'd love to hear your feedback and experiences regarding the warranty.

Thanks,
Xeroh

·
Registered
284 Posts
I can't really speak for how Nissan would handle, because I have only been in my GTR for a couple of months; however, in a previous Japanese car that I had, my modification experience was high. I had a 2002 Honda S2000 which I did by new. My rule was I kept the car completely stock until the warranty ran out and then started my mod journey. Before that it was just a few appearance items and stereo upgrades. After the warranty left, I found a reliable aftermarket shop and started my journey.

It included suspension, header, exhaust, supercharger, and a few body mods. I was very happy with the car, but after I moved and could not find a good shop to help me, I took the car back to stock and returned to the local honda dealerships which took very good car of me.

My plan is to have great fun with the car now under warranty and as my experience increases, make adjustments to those areas that I would like to see improvement. I would talk to some local owners and see which dealership are more mod friendly and likely to overlook certain things. Of course, as luck would probably have it, Nissan will only do what they want and nobody will be able to guess what that is.

Good luck!

Deiger

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts
This is right out of your 2014 Owner's Manual. Nissan puts it in print for a reason. If something breaks and it's found that your vehicle violated one or more of these, well, any expensive repair is likely to be on your own dime.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Please read this Owner's Manual carefully, together with your Warranty Information Booklet which describes a number of express limitations, exclusions and ways to void your warranty for failing to follow the instructions contained in this Owner's Manual, including, but not limited to: .
  • Failure to use proper parts, fuel and fluids, .
  • Driving with the VDC off, .
  • Racing .
  • Any competitive driving of any sort whatsoever, .
  • Use on a track or driving on any airstrip, .
  • Modifications, including adding/replacing, reprogramming, attempting to reprogram, altering, disconnecting any computer, control unit or electronic modules, .
  • Deleting any or all stored information in any computer, control unit or electronic module including VSDR, .
  • Failure to have required GT-R Performance Optimization Services performed.
In addition, see your tire warranty for specific limitations or exclusions for operating summer tires below −20C (−4F)

Of course some of the above is open to broad interpretations, which I am sure is Nissan's intent (just like any car manufacturer).

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can't really speak for how Nissan would handle, because I have only been in my GTR for a couple of months; however, in a previous Japanese car that I had, my modification experience was high. I had a 2002 Honda S2000 which I did by new. My rule was I kept the car completely stock until the warranty ran out and then started my mod journey. Before that it was just a few appearance items and stereo upgrades. After the warranty left, I found a reliable aftermarket shop and started my journey.

It included suspension, header, exhaust, supercharger, and a few body mods. I was very happy with the car, but after I moved and could not find a good shop to help me, I took the car back to stock and returned to the local honda dealerships which took very good car of me.

My plan is to have great fun with the car now under warranty and as my experience increases, make adjustments to those areas that I would like to see improvement. I would talk to some local owners and see which dealership are more mod friendly and likely to overlook certain things. Of course, as luck would probably have it, Nissan will only do what they want and nobody will be able to guess what that is.

Good luck!

Deiger
Great info!!! What I'm doing as well!

·
2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)
393 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If you are concerned about the warranty then enjoy it stock until at least the BtoB runs out - I waited 3 years before modding and figured I could go assumed risk for the remaining 2 years on the power train warranty since I don't beat on the car. Really depends on how you drive and how prepared you are to pay out of pocket.

Also, did you buy it new? If used, the car was probably purchased in 2013 as a MY14 model, so you may only have 1 year left on the BtoB anyway.

BTW the trans figure of 20k is a bit hyped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
http://lmgtfy.com/?q...rranty bolt-ons

Searching is not hard really... this has been asked many many times since 2009. :)
I spent about an hour searching for a thread on warranties, clearly you're much more skilled at the internet than I. Also if you read any of the top returned links there isn't much clear information, which is why I'm asking the question.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are concerned about the warranty then enjoy it stock until at least the BtoB runs out - I waited 3 years before modding and figured I could go assumed risk for the remaining 2 years on the power train warranty since I don't beat on the car. Really depends on how you drive and how prepared you are to pay out of pocket.

Also, did you buy it new? If used, the car was probably purchased in 2013 as a MY14 model, so you may only have 1 year left on the BtoB anyway.

BTW the trans figure of 20k is a bit hyped.
I bought it used, I think I have about 1-1.5 years on the warranty.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
So, what are you wanting to do? If FBO with a reliable tune (aka not a constant kill mode map), your 2014 will be able to handle it just fine - keep your torque at 600 or less and go play (more for motor than trans). Any mods above that (new turbos) you will probably be okay with a conservative tune, but there are no guarantees.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Do's
Find a good dealer
Have an emergency mod/repair fund that can be accessed if necessary to cover major items in worse case scenario
Find an even better tuner
Have a second car for daily transportation if you run into issues
Run good fuel

Don't
Mod unless you have the money and the stomach for potential risk.

+++++++++++
These cars are very stout and well built. A good tune and supporting parts up to 600 rwhp will be very reliable.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Stock = warranty as long as vdc is not turned off
modifed = powertrain/drivetrain warranty void

You can be buddy buddy with the dealer it does not matter, Nissan Japan makes the call.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
A transmission isn't 20k. You can get a new one for like 11-12k. Transmission repairs are anywhere from like 4-7k depending on what broke.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and the more updated information. I'm working on saving up for my emergency fund now, I should be pretty healthy again by the end of august and I have a 96 corolla for a daily. Also is the VDC off necessarily like a one time thing or is it more like if the failure occurs with VDC off that its not covered under warranty? I don't really every turn mine off since the cars stock and I'm enjoying the power a lot already. I mean I went from driving a silverado to this lol.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the replies and the more updated information. I'm working on saving up for my emergency fund now, I should be pretty healthy again by the end of august and I have a 96 corolla for a daily. Also is the VDC off necessarily like a one time thing or is it more like if the failure occurs with VDC off that its not covered under warranty? I don't really every turn mine off since the cars stock and I'm enjoying the power a lot already. I mean I went from driving a silverado to this lol.
I can't overstress reading the owner's manual (not trying to be an asshole), but it specifically states:

"Damage to the powertrain or any drivetrain component(s) that occurs when there is a record in the Vehicle Status Data Recorder (VSDR) that the vehicle was driven with VDC off during the period when the damage was incurred is excluded from warranty coverage."

I take that to mean, that if you turn VDC off, and proceed to actually drive the car somewhere, and damage occurs, that can be logged as a warranty infraction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mark, I appreciate the bluntness and the quote, I'll sit down and read it. I looked over it when I got the car, but I didn't read it too in depth. I leave VDC on all the time.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
There are tons of discussions and facts on here about this. Use google to search gtrlife and the native search function blows.

Also, transmission rebuild is under $3k from the best - Shep.
http://sheptrans.com/product/gtr-r35/gtr-r35-transmission-rebuild-stage-1/

This is substantially less than anything you would throw in just about any other sports car. I know I spent less for my stage II than I did on my Rpm transmission and diff.

My dealer is super mod friendly and draws the line at intakes for engine failures (never had one at the dealer since 2008) and turbo failures. They did multiple bell housings on my buddies FBO. They warrantied my built A9 headlight and MFD.

All depends on where you are and at under $3k for a transmission refresh, it's not even worth you worrying about it. Plenty of guys running 30k+ miles on 600/600 dyno numbers.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
If something fails while VDC is off they may not cover it.

My trans and bell housing were covered under warranty. I had been tuned, FBO, and vdc off plenty of times.

Could they have denied, yes. Did they, no.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts