Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’m aware this topic has been covered but couldn’t find what I was looking for.

Took the car out with my buddy and his bike last night. I’ve never ridden with somebody like that so he got first hand of how much my car was pluming. (Although no video fml)

Car runs great never had a single issue. Has always had some black smoke but I’m just wondering if others with a similar setup are throwing plumes like I am.

Setup is the SP Engineering (very reputable Cali shop) 700 package. Catless DPs, no cats, and a Greddy Ti exhaust. Temps all in good ranges, nothing obviously/noticeabley weird with the car. It does smell like a toxic waste station however. And is a 2017 with only 6k miles so it’s rarely driven. Typically run 91.

Heres the best YouTube clip I can compare it to. Fast forward to 1 minutes and on that launch, that’s about how much smoke my car is throwing, maybe even a little more. So I’m wondering if something could be wrong or if there’s anything I can do to possibly remedy (new injection, clean injectors, spark plugs etc)

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ya looking at the clip again it say it’s a bit more than the biggest plume in that video

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened on my GTR as well and it ended up being a bad turbo seal. Easiest way to check is get the car on a lift and remove the Y pipe from the downpipes. If you see any signs of moisture/oil coming from one side, then that should point you in the right direction on which one is bad. Another way you could check is per video in below link.

Given the low miles that you have on the car, that would be my guess but you might want to take it in to have a shop diagnose. The earlier the better. I had upgraded turbos so the easiest route was get a CHRA kit and reuse the old turbo housing. The downside to this is having to drop the engine to get it fixed. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Setup is the SP Engineering (very reputable Cali shop) 700 package. Catless DPs, no cats, and a Greddy Ti exhaust. Temps all in good ranges, nothing obviously/noticeabley weird with the car. It does smell like a toxic waste station however. And is a 2017 with only 6k miles so it’s rarely driven. Typically run 91.
Are you tuned for Flex/E85 and, if so, does it smoke when your ethanol content is higher than 60%?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This just happened on my GTR as well and it ended up being a bad turbo seal. Easiest way to check is get the car on a lift and remove the Y pipe from the downpipes. If you see any signs of moisture/oil coming from one side, then that should point you in the right direction on which one is bad. Another way you could check is per video in below link.

Given the low miles that you have on the car, that would be my guess but you might want to take it in to have a shop diagnose. The earlier the better. I had upgraded turbos so the easiest route was get a CHRA kit and reuse the old turbo housing. The downside to this is having to drop the engine to get it fixed. Good luck!
Thank you! I’ll try to get it looked at. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you tuned for Flex/E85 and, if so, does it smoke when your ethanol content is higher than 60%?
Yes tuned for Flex but I rarely run e85 due to availability. I will fill it up e85 and see. I guess that would tell me if it’s running rich vs burning oil?

·
Registered
333 Posts
On pump gas (93) I get plumes of black smoke like that when I gun it. Maybe “plumes” isn’t a good adjective; but normal amounts of black smoke for the GTR(?). More than that video but not by much. I am 2016 full straight pipe from Fabworx and flex. E85=no smoke
I’ve driven with other GTR’s that have minimal restrictions in their exhaust and same amounts of black smoke as mine and sometimes more so it’s never been a concern of mine. Had it at two different shops (for other reasons) and they didn’t say anything about something looking wrong even though they were in that area. Two different tunes (Visconti and Linney) and neither said anything looked odd in logs. Idk if it would show up in logs but figured I would through that out there.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Yes tuned for Flex but I rarely run e85 due to availability. I will fill it up e85 and see. I guess that would tell me if it’s running rich vs burning oil?
That's the idea. I've only run 3 tanks of 91 in the past year and there's always a smoke trail if I get into boost while running it. Haven't seen any smoke at the track or while the E content is above 60 on the street. It's unscientific but might help put your mind at ease.

Some have also said a catch can will help. I have one as recommended by the shop to address this very issue and it hasn't helped so I'm not inclined to suggest that as a fix.

Older threads will also show some discussion regarding injector types and their spray/atomization pattern contributing to the smoking on pump gas with the ID injectors being one of the culprits (which we both have).

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
With catless down pipes and a cobb catted mid pipe, i get very little soot on e30.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the idea. I've only run 3 tanks of 91 in the past year and there's always a smoke trail if I get into boost while running it. Haven't seen any smoke at the track or while the E content is above 60 on the street. It's unscientific but might help put your mind at ease.

Some have also said a catch can will help. I have one as recommended by the shop to address this very issue and it hasn't helped so I'm not inclined to suggest that as a fix.

Older threads will also show some discussion regarding injector types and their spray/atomization pattern contributing to the smoking on pump gas with the ID injectors being one of the culprits (which we both have).
Thanks. I rarely drive the car hard. And it also sits about 10 months out of the year (driving it a few times a month or so). All numbers are very healthy. It’s a 2017 with 6200 miles. Only launched once it two years. Gonna fill her up with E85 and see if that solves it. Appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts