Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 GTR, this is the second time in the last 12K miles that I got a low oil warning light. Is this normal or could there be something wrong.
Thanks.
Im taking it in for an oil change even though it it not due. It has only been 1800 miles since the last oil change.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
You can start an oil consumption schedule at Nissan. But...you will need to go to Nissan for the before and after oil change.
Also, are you confirming the annunciation with the actual dipstick reading?

Always check dipstick for actual confirmation.

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
One question, do you park on a hill or steep incline? I get the same warning everytime i park in my driveway.

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
One question, do you park on a hill or steep incline? I get the same warning everytime i park in my driveway.
was it low on the stick too?

i was washing my car tonight in my driveway not that steep of an incline but still and incline..when i cranked it up to go dry off the rotors i got the low oil warning visit dealer light

i drove it around the block...whipped off the stick and retested and this is what i got....

is something wrong here? i dont understand how it could be low

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
just went and cranked the car up again and its said oil level ok

but the stick still shows low... do i need it let it sit and retest?

im thinking it has to be the parked on an incline thing... if so its good info to know... i never saw this once with my 09... maybe the 12 is more sensitive?

·
Turbo AWD or Nothing
1,223 Posts
just went and cranked the car up again and its said oil level ok

but the stick still shows low... do i need it let it sit and retest?

im thinking it has to be the parked on an incline thing... if so its good info to know... i never saw this once with my 09... maybe the 12 is more sensitive?
I just went in for my 1000 miles service the other day and I was talking to the GTR tech about this issue. He said something about it being normal and the sensor position. (I think, dont remember exactly what he said.) He also said the 12's carry even less oil then the previous models so its prone to being more sensitive. Dont quote me on this, but I have my techs cell number so ill ring him up tom. and ask him again.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
For sure parking on a slope does it. Did it on both of my cars -2010's .... Couple of bars on the indicator.

·
RED GT-R
543 Posts
I put about 1000 miles since the last oil change and got this warning message about low oil. Weird that it didn't give me any warning when it was approaching low.

Dip stick showed it was on the lower end (kind of blurry pic). Is this normal for 2009 models as well? I didn't see any oil leaks in the garage.

This Motul oil 0W40 is what was used for the oil change. Does this burn quicker than the stock oil?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I put about 1000 miles since the last oil change and got this warning message about low oil.
Did you check the oil level right after the oil change? On the same spot? Under the same conditions? Otherwise, you'll never know if your car is consuming oil, and if so, how much. Could have been low to begin with. Most auto manufacturers say 1-qt per 1K miles, but that's BS. At that level, something is not right with your engine. What you need to do now, is monitor oil consumption the proper way.

On this car, the proper way to be absolutely consistent is to check oil level when COLD. I have no idea why Nissan says hot (after 5 min) on the manual; makes zero sense on a dry-sump car. I checked it myself multiple times, waiting different intervals (including cold), and it always was within 1mm. But if oil is too hot, or you check it too soon, that could add another millimeter maybe, making the process a little inconsistent. You CANNOT check oil level cold on a dry-sump engine, but on this car, it's the most consistent way. Then check it ALWAYS AT THE SAME FLAT SPOT. If you do those 2 things, you'd always know very precisely how much oil your engine is consuming. Or leaking, or whatever the case might be. Also keep in mind some oil could be reaching the engine via the PCV valve, especially if car is tuned. But maybe even if it isn't, and it's driven hard. I'm not going to bother with a catch can on my stock car, but am curious if a stock engine run hard has that problem or not.

Finally, since I don't track the car, I'm running oil level to the full mark. Five quarts is already borderline acceptable for a twin-turbo 545HP engine IMO, to run even less, as Nissan recommends for 'performance', which after many weeks of research, I found it to mean tracking. I like to run the car hard in the corners, not run the engine consistently hard, so definitely want the higher oil level to prevent cavitation (or worse, oil starvation). So far in 630 miles, including high-rpm cruising, zero oil consumption. But have yet to run the engine hard. Hope I got a good engine. It's an all-#2 engine, and was built by the same dude that built the Nismo engine shown on many videos

OP, just top off your engine (yes, that 0/40 fully synthetic oil is perfectly fine, and probably better than M1 due to being group-IV vs III), and monitor oil consumption for the next 1K miles, and let us know. Being an '09, you're out of any warranty, but at least you'll know if you have a potential issue or not. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a friend that happened the same problem. He went to the dealer and he solved the problem. They indicated that when the car touched you change the oil out to the dealer because the problem happens when you do not put the correct oil. My recommendations Go to the dealer to guide you better because you may be going through this same thing happened to my friend or maybe something else. Good Luck

·
RED GT-R
543 Posts
My recommendations Go to the dealer to guide you better because you may be going through this same thing happened to my friend. Good Luck
I took my car to Kaizen Tuning. They seem like a reputable shop and work on GTRs all the time. I had the 54K service, brakes, tire swap over, & ordered Mines caps through them. Spent a full day waiting in their shop. In any case, hopefully they can help me out to see what's going on.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Would you recommend replacing the PCV valve if the problem continues?
Not replacing the PCV valve, but adding an oil 'catch can'. I'm not familiar with tuning, but read many threads about adding a catch can (I had to do that on my Vettes), and the consensus was that it's not needed on a stock car. But if you're tuned (with higher boost), you definitely need one, or oil is getting to your intake via the PCV valve (too much boost). Ask your tuner about that; they should know. And maybe your car already has one. Finally, this car having port FI, it's not as harmful as DI since the fuel/air mixture washes oil in the intake and valves up to a point, but it's better not to have any (or minimal amount) to begin with. And yes, with a tuned car, it only makes sense the engine will consume more oil due to being more stressed. Some of the experts here should be able to chime in with a normal consumption range for you
. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts