Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search for the old threads without success so........
The drone on my midpipe is starting to bother me so I am in search of a replacement
Would appreciate some suggestions from experience. Looking for decent WOT sound with as close to as poss stock sound at cruising
Thanks guys

· Vendor
2,764 Posts
Gtr35ser7,

Our SBD Monster Resonated 90mm Midpipe has the largest resonator on the market and might be exactly what your looking for. It sells for only $650 dollars. PM me your address in Australia and I will put together a shipping quote for you.

· Registered
161 Posts
I got the Boostlogic QuadZilla and would say there's no drone in terms of harsh noise vibration, at any speed. It's a little intrusive (I'd give it a 2/10) at 70mph but totally quiet by 75. Other than that it's all just great sounds.

· Registered
175 Posts
I drove around with just a Cobb catted midpipe for a while. I absolutely loved how it sounded and I'm pretty picky about exhaust notes. Not too loud and it gives the car a slightly deeper growl. I believe that every aftermarket exhaust piece will give a certain amount of drone, but it's very minimal with the Cobb

· Registered
90 Posts
I tried to search for the old threads without success so........
The drone on my midpipe is starting to bother me so I am in search of a replacement
Would appreciate some suggestions from experience. Looking for decent WOT sound with as close to as poss stock sound at cruising
Thanks guys
Could you tell us which brand/model is your actual midpipe that annoys you with drone noise ?

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you tell us which brand/model is your actual midpipe that annoys you with drone noise ?
Made in australia by AM Performance. It's very well made and sounds incredible at WOT. Probably the best I have heard. Very loud. I thought I could put up with the drone in the cab in exchange for the great sound but it's just relentless in all gears while cruising and anything less than 3000 rpm. As it's mostly my DD I want something that sounds great at WOT but is stock quiet under normal driving conditions.
Appreciate the suggestions guys. I just want to get it right as we don't have many options locally and usually need to import from the U.S.

· Warrant Officer
699 Posts
Keep in mind, the car comes factory with what some people would refer to as a tiny, tiny bit of drone. However, the runflats easily overpower the exhaust noise, so most don't realize it.

I did a bunch of research for about 2 weeks, and was ready to pull the trigger on an HKS resonated pipe, until I read through some of Church's threads on midpipes. Essentially, he changed my mind and I wound up going with my AAM resonated. Not only does it sound perfect, but it was about $150 cheaper.

· Registered
2,297 Posts
I would have to disagree with the guys on the AAM resonated. I really dont like drone and it does drone on the highways around 70 mph+ i was always driving around 85-90 to escape the drone...

I am more sensitive to drone than the average guy. I actually declined new run flats because I cant stand the road noise...

· Banned
4,732 Posts
Best and only mid pipe for 0 drone out so far, and yes were the only ones that have something like this to offer
;)

Let us know if we can help any of you on your high quality fabrication components

made here at undercover performance

text me or call my cell if any questions need immediate response
609-304-7788
lawerence

Attachments

· Premium Member
763 Posts
We think the HKS Resonated midpipe is the best on the market, and we have a sale going on them right now. In stock and ready to ship.

· Sophisticated
2,950 Posts
I would have to disagree with the guys on the AAM resonated. I really dont like drone and it does drone on the highways around 70 mph+ i was always driving around 85-90 to escape the drone...

I am more sensitive to drone than the average guy. I actually declined new run flats because I cant stand the road noise...
I think all midpipes will drone a bit. The AAM has a higher pitched sound on the highway instead of the low deep drone sound that the HKS resonated has.

A low drone sound is unbearable. It vibrates inside your head. That is why I feel the AAM is the best option.

I felt like killing myself on a 700 mile trip when I had the HKS Midi. I had to drive in 5th most of the way. Also the HKS sounds almost stock. You pay all that money for drone with very little added sound at idle or acceleration. This is on an otherwise stock GT-R. If you add downpipes it will get louder.

It's all relative though. I say get a ride in as many GT-R's as you can to compare.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
I say get a ride in as many GT-R's as you can to compare.
Yes, because what is unbearable drone to one person's ears may be quite tolerable or even pleasant to another's. Completely subjective, so find your local GT-R owners with aftermarket MPs and make your own determination to what's bearable for you.

· Registered
72 Posts
I got the Boostlogic QuadZilla and would say there's no drone in terms of harsh noise vibration, at any speed. It's a little intrusive (I'd give it a 2/10) at 70mph but totally quiet by 75. Other than that it's all just great sounds.
I run the Boost Logic quadzilla as well with their 4" TI catback. Definitely louder in the cabin than stock, but no drone. Mean as hell WOT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.