Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I currently have a '11 Cayman S which I really like, but am leasing and will need to pick something up in a year (starting my research on options). I am sort of a Porsche guy, but next I would probably look at the new 991 for a change and to add the back seats. I've optioned some out, and the price skyrockets and gets to expensive for a non-turbo 911 IMO (over $125,000). So, this brings me to looking at the GTR. Bang for the buck, I'm not sure you can beat the GTR, so I'm definitely going to look at it even though I don't particularly like most Japanese brands. I've quickly researched a GTR lease on Nissan's site, and it looks like a 36 month lease with the same terms as my Cayman comes out to almost the same payment I currently have on the Cayman, surprising since I negotiated the cap cost on my Cayman S at $70k. I have an auto credit score over 800 so I qualified for Porsche's top tier money factor, therefore I'm guessing that Nissan has a much better leasing program.

My current net monthly income is around $20k, so I'm assuming that I'm within the realm of appropriate income for a $100k car such as the GTR; what ratio do you all typically stay at for "affordability" of an automobile?
Once I'm looking to pick up the GTR, should I expect to be able to pick one up under MSRP (I got my Cayman S for 8% off), or do most dealers stand strong at the MSRP mark?

Thanks!!

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
I've owned many Porsches over the last several years. I wanted something different with more technology so I opted for the GTR which I've wanted since it came out. No regrets here. I'm sure I'll buy another Porsche in the future.

Only you know if you can afford this car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Search nationwide, I bought two a 2010 and 2011 way below MSRP.
Dealership in non metro areas are more willing to deal, especially if the GT-R has been sitting in the lot for quite a while.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Right now you might be able to find a 2012 under MSRP, but I wouldn't expect anything close to 8% off. I think the 2012 is a great car at MSRP, if you get a few grand off of that price I'd consider it a bonus. It's hard to say how the 2012's and the 2013's will be priced when you're ready to move on to your next car though.

As for income required to own the car, I'm certain you _can_ afford the car at your income, but only you know your expenditures, lifestyle choices, and priorities for your money.

154 Posts
I have been in the car industry almost my whole life, aside from my stint in the marines. For a 2013 you are out of luck for anything under msrp, a 2012 we saw go at auction last week with miles for 92k!!! These cars are becoming very popular again and are bringing all the dough. Great if you already own one, (your resale value just went up big time) if you are looking to get into one, it will be tough at anything but msrp or above. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you want me to get you into contact with a few dealers

·
Registered
123 Posts

As for income required to own the car, I'm certain you _can_ afford the car at your income, but only you know your expenditures, lifestyle choices, and priorities for your money.
That's definitely true, but I've always stuck to a car payment being no more than 5-10% at most of your take home income

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
working on teeth (hence my board name, yes I'm a dork like that), not everyone's idea of fun, but for whatever weird reason I like it
working on teeth is a great gig....I like also and the pay isn't too bad....endodontist by trade.....

everyone's different on what they spend on cars so there's not a set answer on that....the sticker prices on my cars is more than I paid for house which most would say is not a smart idea and I agree, but it makes me happy

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
working on teeth is a great gig....I like also and the pay isn't too bad....endodontist by trade.....

everyone's different on what they spend on cars so there's not a set answer on that....the sticker prices on my cars is more than I paid for house which most would say is not a smart idea and I agree, but it makes me happy
Isn't it though?! orthodontist here
That is true; my wife wasn't to happy when I got the Porsche and the lease payment approached our mortgage payment, but I just told her she'd never understand
Then I add in the whole tax write-off thing to shut her down even more....

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Isn't it though?! orthodontist here
That is true; my wife wasn't to happy when I got the Porsche and the lease payment approached our mortgage payment, but I just told her she'd never understand
Then I add in the whole tax write-off thing to shut her down even more....
the tax write off helps a lot....we have 10 offices so it's a lot of miles to claim.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the tax write off helps a lot....we have 10 offices so it's a lot of miles to claim.....
What dental school did you go to? Where'd you do your endo residency? Just wondering because when I was in school there was an endo resident that was into modding cars and thought it may be you

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
What dental school did you go to? Where'd you do your endo residency? Just wondering because when I was in school there was an endo resident that was into modding cars and thought it may be you
SUNY Buffalo '99, Stony Brook Endo '04....how about you?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
OK not you then, but it's good to see other tooth docs into cars!

I was Indiana dental '06 and St. Louis ortho '08

Do you have pics of your Scud, that's one of my favorites

Gone for the Scud but not forgotten.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gone for the Scud but not forgotten.....
Very nice! I love those 430's, especially the Scud. Ferraris have such an intoxicating sound! So, when it comes down to it, which do you like driving more? Are either your daily driver to the office?
I put over 1,000 miles/month on my Porsche (hence that nice tax write off ;-) ), but luckily I have nice parking spots behind both of my offices; out of sight of patients, because otherwise I know I'd here about it all the time and I don't like that kind of attention!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Very nice! I love those 430's, especially the Scud. Ferraris have such an intoxicating sound! So, when it comes down to it, which do you like driving more? Are either your daily driver to the office?
I put over 1,000 miles/month on my Porsche (hence that nice tax write off ;-) ), but luckily I have nice parking spots behind both of my offices; out of sight of patients, because otherwise I know I'd here about it all the time and I don't like that kind of attention!
Nissan is my daily....over 15K miles now in less than a year....our ofices are mostly in office buildings with multiple tenants so the parking lots are large....as far as what do i like to drive more....since I drive the Nissan every day I look forward to driving the Ferrari....it's comfortable and the sound of the engine is downright amazing....can't let patients see that car though so I never take it to work....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.