Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
R35 Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let people know that willall racing in Adelaide Australia manufacture superb quality engine, transmission and LSD lubricants for the GTR R35 and EVO. Independant tests have been performed in the US and elsewhere to show reduced wear and extended oil change intervals. Have a look at www.willallracing.com.au. The ship all over the world. And no, I don't work for them or earn any commission! (Ha-Ha). I simply think they produce an excellent product.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Since it was the members of this board that performed the independant tests published on WillAll's site, we know.

Good product. I use it (in a way), but the OEM fluid is not as fragile as we originally thought. Additionally, the Dodson fluid is also quite hardy and solid. We don't have many HKS fluid users, and there are some Japanese fluids that were going to get tested, but that fell through. Many use Pentosin, but we don't have independant testing yet, and we would also need comparitave testing from the same user, because of variability from car to car.

Good product. The highest price per liter of all the products, though.

Shawn

·
R35 Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I wasn't aware that you were the ones who tested the Willall oil. As the oil is Australia based and I am from Australia, I wasn't sure whether it was well known abroad.
Neels.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
http://www.willallracing.com.au/oiltests.htm

Garnered directly from Icarus's thread, here:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45055&mode=linearplus

A lot of WillAll use amongst us, but a lot of support for the possibility that the WillAll may be much more overkill than many users really need. Icarus has continued to use OEM, and his transmission hasn't escaped from his driveline to murder the local villagers children yet. Despite the publicity that using OEM fluid might make it do that.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Many transmissions have broken with Willall fluid in them. Search this board and you will find them. So it is not some kind of magic elixir that fixes all problems assigned to the OEM fluid by Willall. Transmissions have also failed with the OEM fluid. People who sell Willall push it hard, but it is so expensive there is much money to be made. Like Icarus, I have never felt it was necessary to use such expensive fluid products in my GT-R, and it is now 3 years old and has seen a lot of hard driving with zero failures.

Nissan has sold thousands and thousands of GT-R's and still uses the same transmission fluid in all of them. If they had found an issue, I am certain they would have upgraded the transmission fluid by now, as they get to see every failed transmission replaced under warranty when they are returned to them. I assume Nissan has made minor tweaks to the transmission to improve reliability, but nothing major I have heard of..

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I assume Nissan has made minor tweaks to the transmission to improve reliability, but nothing major I have heard of..
What do you think of the new pan, with changed baffle pattern, and shorter drain tube? I have one ready for install for the off season. Hoping it will make some improvement.

Also seeking the shift caps. I think I can install them myself, and intrigued by the concept. I really don't want a tow if it hits full on limp mode, but I think I can avoid it.

Shawn

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I think new pan is good. As for the caps, I was thinking the same thing myself, and even asked the dealer if he had already done it on any GT-R and he said they had not (and they have also not replaced any transmissions on the 12-14 cars they service, many of which are track driven, with at least one at 800 HP I think). Then I asked if he would do it for a price and he said he would only do it if the indicated codes came up. I thought the parts were on a restricted list? Sure looks like cheap insurance, but also wondering if only certain transmissions that were made slightly out of tolerance need them. From a logical point of view, if that update was going to save Nissan a ton of money in warranty replacement of transmissions, you think they would just choose to put those 50 cent clips in and pay for the short time required to install them compared to having to pull out the transmission, ship it back, ship a new one to dealer and install it. So not certain it is such a commonly required update. Haven't heard of many people getting it done with or without the relevant codes detected.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
As for the caps, I was thinking the same thing myself, and even asked the dealer if he had already done it on any GT-R and he said they had not (and they have also not replaced any transmissions on the 12-14 cars they service, many of which are track driven, with at least one at 800 HP I think). Then I asked if he would do it for a price and he said he would only do it if the indicated codes came up. I thought the parts were on a restricted list? Sure looks like cheap insurance, but also wondering if only certain transmissions that were made slightly out of tolerance need them. From a logical point of view, if that update was going to save Nissan a ton of money in warranty replacement of transmissions, you think they would just choose to put those 50 cent clips in and pay for the short time required to install them compared to having to pull out the transmission, ship it back, ship a new one to dealer and install it. So not certain it is such a commonly required update. Haven't heard of many people getting it done with or without the relevant codes detected.
According to the side comments from some rebuilders (Dodson amongst), they began seeing these clips from the factory in 2010. Installed stock. I wonder the exact same things, if this helps the transmission "get it right" why not do ALL of them?

However, I suspect that some accountant has been involved here. "Lessee, five year powertrain warranty over time....hmmm. Predicted failure rate.... click click click. Replacing transmission - listed cost $18,000, actual cost ........, vs. two hours tech time for every GT-R produced plus bad publicity over transmission recall and ACTUALLY admitting something was wrong from the get go... click click clik.. Ah. Produce the clips. Do the ones that have problems before failure, and start installing them on the production line, but don't issue a recall"

While paranoid, I suspect this could have happened. Since they are now being seen from the factory, if I can get them and successfully install, I'll darn sure give it a try. If not, both Dodson and WillAll have produced solutions for the problem. While I know everybody thinks this is overkill, I now have 22,000 miles on my 2009, many of them track miles. I'm old enough to remember when rebuilding a transmission at 50,000 miles was COMMON, even if not abused. While I haven't really abused my transmission, track is most certainly harder on them than street. I had to rebuild the trannys on both my 1967 Ford Fairlane and 1979 Ford Mustang before 100,000 miles. For a car that has done more high performance miles than both of those added up (and has more power than both of them added up, and throw in both my 1992 Honda Civic and 1996 Honda Civic), then a bulletproof rebuild isn't way out of line, I think.

But I sure would hope that I could put it off for a while with some $0.50 clips.

Shawn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts