Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just my car is tuned to run 100oct. i was wondering if i can put in a methanol injection kit in with a 93 oct tune? and not have to find or run 100oct any more. would i gain any hp running meth over 100oct? thanks if anyone can chime in.

·
[ MotorMotives ]
541 Posts
My car will be shipped back home where the best available fuel is 95RON

I have talked to a lot of tuners about meth injection, but most of them called it a bandaid solution, without really explaining much
I know cheap systems are a hassle, but I don't understand why the case would be the same with a proper setup with failsafe and all like the Aquamist system for example

Also trying to find a reliable source of VP racing fuel in the area, but it looks like it'll be a challenging task

-AJ

·
LiMiTLeSs
3,224 Posts
I think another reason why most stay away from meth injection is due to the fact that you have to rely 100% on the failsafe and if something goes wrong and you blow your motor its very expensive to fix. Unlike with other cars if some thing like that were to happen its less inexpensive to fix. Just stick to higher octane gasoline or e85.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I run meth injection in alot of the centrifugal supercharger setups in the Mustangs and Corvettes that I build. Personally, as long as its installed correctly, is perfectly safe.

As far as failsafe goes, there are a few systems out there that include them all. For example, Alky Control systems have an activation LED light that is red when the pump is activated and then green when the progressive system has reached max spray. It comes with its own 2-3 bar map sensor it's boost activated, if you reach the boost level and no light, then the pump is not on. Also included is another light showing if you are low in meth.

As far as the tune goes, the Vehicle has factory intake air temp sensors. I rewire them to a standard IAT sensor (it's only 2 wire), place them in front of the meth nozzle so when the meth is activated, it will cool down the sensor 30-35 degrees. Normal IATs on a cool night when you are cruising down the freeway not under boost has been around 75-80* for me. So when the meth sprays it will drop it down to 50-55*. This is where I add ignition timing in the tune through the IAT sensor. What this does is IF the meth was to ever fail, then the PCM will not add the extra timing that requires the extra octane, because IATs will rise instead of drop.

The only disadvantage is it cannot account for boost. But much like nitrous, properly installed methanol systems do not fail very often.

I personally have installed 30+ methanol kits from various manufacturers on Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, diesel trucks and have had zero failures.

Quick note: I do prefer E85 over a meth kit. I have also tried both combined on my Procharger Corvette and it doesn't work very well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow thanks guys im tossed up.... i have tons of people telling me to do it and tons telling me not to do it. i just hate trying to find 100oct thats wut sucks in not realy looking for more power. my friend runs it in his v8 supercharged m3 and just threw the idea at me. so now im looking into it. i like driven my gtr on long trips and you cant find 100oct every were..

·
Registered
312 Posts
My car will be shipped back home where the best available fuel is 95RON

I have talked to a lot of tuners about meth injection, but most of them called it a bandaid solution, without really explaining much
I know cheap systems are a hassle, but I don't understand why the case would be the same with a proper setup with failsafe and all like the Aquamist system for example

Also trying to find a reliable source of VP racing fuel in the area, but it looks like it'll be a challenging task

-AJ
Ashraf, i have VP fuel if u still want!

·
Registered
22 Posts
the light just means there is voltage to the pump, not that it is not clogged or operating correctly. And a light certainly isnt going to save your motor when you are deep on the pedal. You would definately want something like the CMGS from coolingmist with its flow meter. That way, if flow is not as expected it will send a trigger to your EMS to drop boost, or do whatever you program it to. Direct injection with 6 nozzles would also be the best way to plumb it so you get even distrubution.

I run meth injection in alot of the centrifugal supercharger setups in the Mustangs and Corvettes that I build. Personally, as long as its installed correctly, is perfectly safe.

As far as failsafe goes, there are a few systems out there that include them all. For example, Alky Control systems have an activation LED light that is red when the pump is activated and then green when the progressive system has reached max spray. It comes with its own 2-3 bar map sensor it's boost activated, if you reach the boost level and no light, then the pump is not on. Also included is another light showing if you are low in meth.

As far as the tune goes, the Vehicle has factory intake air temp sensors. I rewire them to a standard IAT sensor (it's only 2 wire), place them in front of the meth nozzle so when the meth is activated, it will cool down the sensor 30-35 degrees. Normal IATs on a cool night when you are cruising down the freeway not under boost has been around 75-80* for me. So when the meth sprays it will drop it down to 50-55*. This is where I add ignition timing in the tune through the IAT sensor. What this does is IF the meth was to ever fail, then the PCM will not add the extra timing that requires the extra octane, because IATs will rise instead of drop.

The only disadvantage is it cannot account for boost. But much like nitrous, properly installed methanol systems do not fail very often.

I personally have installed 30+ methanol kits from various manufacturers on Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, diesel trucks and have had zero failures.

Quick note: I do prefer E85 over a meth kit. I have also tried both combined on my Procharger Corvette and it doesn't work very well.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Just say No !

I wouldn't do it, but hey, that's just me. A strong 93 octane pump tune will get you close to a 100 oct tune anyway. So have your tuner make you a 93 octane tune, and a 100/93 mix tune. Just toggle to the 100 when you have the ability/need to get some in your tank.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just wanted the meth kit so i wouldnt have to always run 100oct when i go on long trips and still keep the same HP. 100oct cant be found everywere.i whould get the car tuned for meth on 93. im not looking to max the car out just love how the car feels on the power level.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.