Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
There is a shop selling these tires on eBay brand-new (overstock) in 285/35-20 size for ~$215 shipped per tire.

Given that MPSS in the same size sell for at least 50% more, this looks to be a no-brainer way to pick up a set of pretty good tires.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I would be very careful about what exact tire they are selling for only $200 per tire in 285/35-20. Ask for the date of manufacture, it's printed as a four digit number on the sidewalk of each tire.

The eBay picture does show a Pilot Sport 3 tread design but when you search tirerack and Michelin you don't get 285/35-20 as a current tire size so something is wrong or they stopped making it in that size and this inventory is old (2013 or earlier). Pilot Sport 3 is a Max Summer tire with treadwear 320.

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 does come in 285/35-20 but isn't cheap and is an All Season tire which would not be a good choice for the GTR.

·
NAGTROC Photography
2,422 Posts
Just asked my buddy who works at Michelin, specifically in marketing of higher end tires like this. Michelin does not make a PS/3 in that size at this time. Tread carefully. Most likely a bait-and-switch tire deal selling off old stock of something else.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS3. Yes, I realize Michelin is not currently selling this tire is this size in the US. The reason I started is thread is to see if anyone else had experience running these tires on a GTR.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Edit- Just looked up Tire Rack and they have the 285/30R20 XL 99Y thats the Merc MO for $385

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think we've been watching the same set of tires (specifically, a dealer shipping out of Miami) - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on all four (they've got an OEM-sized setup in the PS3 for $900 all-in). Spent a couple hours reviewing the differences in PS3 vs MPSS and determined that, since I'm not tracking the car or doing any GTA-style driving, the PS3s are going to be a reasonable compromise. Expected delivery is by the 17th - if you haven't already purchased by then I'll let you know what I think when they arrive/get installed.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Just wanted to point out...the Pilot Sport 3 has little in common with the Pilot Super Sport. The PS3 is an "upgrade" to the venerable PS2..which left a lot to be desired.

Maybe one day we will see a Pilot Super Sport 2?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to point out...the Pilot Sport 3 has little in common with the Pilot Super Sport. The PS3 is an "upgrade" to the venerable PS2..which left a lot to be desired.

Maybe one day we will see a Pilot Super Sport 2?
Good point, and that information was a little difficult to tease out since the naming convention seemed... backward? To the point that PS3 was an upgrade, and not a replacement to, the PS2, this blog makes a decent attempt at quantifying the differences of the two (MPSS vs PS2(3)): http://blog.tirerack...ot-sport-ps2-v2

Lots more real-world feedback in the BMW, Tesla and Cadillac forums. If I get to the point where I'm ready to track the car, I'll definitely be in the market for MPSS.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
From what I've gathered, both PSS and PS3 offer better wet performance and tread wear over PS2, but I've yet to see a direct comparison between them, ergo this thread.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we've been watching the same set of tires (specifically, a dealer shipping out of Miami) - I went ahead and pulled the trigger on all four (they've got an OEM-sized setup in the PS3 for $900 all-in). Spent a couple hours reviewing the differences in PS3 vs MPSS and determined that, since I'm not tracking the car or doing any GTA-style driving, the PS3s are going to be a reasonable compromise. Expected delivery is by the 17th - if you haven't already purchased by then I'll let you know what I think when they arrive/get installed.
Yep, that's the guy. Looking forward to hearing your feedback from running them. Very curious if 50% premium of PSS over these PS3s is worth it for a street daily driver setup.

·
Registered
749 Posts
PS3 for the street and MPSS for the track? You're better off using the MPSS (or OEM Dunlops, BFG Rivals, Hankook RS3) for the street and the R888 or NT01 for the track. Mounting sub-optimal tires (like the PS2/3) on a hard core performance car like the GT-R just doesn't make sense. The thinking should be "what are the best tires I can stick on this car" and not "what are the cheapest no longer in production tires I can put on my car so it handles worse."

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your feedback. By your reasoning no one should be switching to the sub-optimal Hawk HPS pads for the street - but many do. The reduction in dust, noise, and cost is an acceptable trade-off over all-out performance of OE Brembo pads for many people who daily drive their GTR.

I do not street race, and reaching anywhere near 100% of dry performance envelope of even "sub-optimal" PS3 on the street while daily driving carries significant risk of wrapping the car around a lamp post or getting my ass hauled off to jail, so chewing up expensive and short-lasting OE run-flats while driving around suburbia makes little sense. I feel the reduction in ride harshness, noise, and cost of PSS combined with increased tread wear would be an acceptable trade-off over superior performance of OE Dunlops. Both PSS and PS3 offer significant, though not identical, performance improvements over venerable PS2. The point of this thread is to solicit feedback from those with first-hand experience with PS3.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Haul - they came in today, and look good (no bait n' switch). Looking at getting these installed Sunday, so I'll let you know how well they perform for street use (keeping in mind that I'm coming off a set of OE Dunlops).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Installed this afternoon - was able to put about 100 miles on them so far.

Considerably more quiet than the OE Dunlops (no surprise there), fairly pronounced rim-protecting lip on the sidewall, and the ride is improved enough you can hear all the little whirrs, clunks, and thunks that are endearing to the GT-R. Was able to get in quite a few aggressive high-speed turns throughout the afternoon, plenty of grip/confidence for a street tire - there's no way I'm going to come close to what these PS3s are capable of.

So, I'm very happy with the purchase - going on a curvy drive with a few other exotics next weekend - I'll report back on performance, unless I dump myself off the side of a mountain (in which case the naysayers can have their 'I-told-you-so' moment).

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice, thanks for your feedback. Do these 285s appear a bit stretched on the rear rims?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Looks ok to me.
The age of the tires is the only unknown here.
Production dates are on the side of the tire.
GOOD DEAL.............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts